Talk says Burke to take on Butterss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
kaos theory wrote:We had only 4 players that played every game this yr.
2 actually.

Blake and Fiora (Attard was the other until he was injured)
attard was dropped for a game before he was injured i think

and didnt dal santo play every game?
Ah yes... Round 20 for Attard, forgot that.

And Dal did play every game... Bruce Eva forgot to mention his name the other week :lol:

Also add Milne... so yes... 4 players (annoyed with original source) :lol:

They walk amongst us...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think attard was 'dropped' for a week but didn't play the following week for Scorpions so maybe he wasm't actually 'dropped' but was injured?
He came stratight back into teh team without playing for Scorps IIRC.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Really looking forward to seeing an alternative, legitimate ticket formed.

I didn't mind the article; lots of valid points are raised. Let's hope they (whoever 'they' are) can launch their challenge by no later than early/mid-October.

Members will be able to sit down, evaluate which ticket offers them the best vision for the future and vote accordingly. We can only benefit from choice.

It needs to be locked down and sorted by the end of October, however. That gives the new ticket a full month to wheel and deal and get things together, and another month to do everything required to force an EGM.

I think it's a reasonable timeframe - it should all be sorted by the time the players report back for training in November. Is that a fair call?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Yes evertonfc, that's a fair call.

I too would like an alternative ticket to be unveiled peacefully, just so we can compare it with the current board.

Even better would be if such a ticket could come to some sort of amicable arrangement with the current board for a smooth transition.

I believe the board has fallen short in several areas over the past 24 months; prior to that it was doing an oustanding job.

If an alternative ticket can point those things out, offer a plan and expertise to get them achieved, and do so without causing great disruption, then I will seriously consider it.

It would help enormously if an alternative had a couple of former players on it like Burkey, Stewie or Spud.

It would ease your mind in terms of knowing that they had the best intentions of the club firmly at the front of their mind.

Just as long as Scott Dennison doesn't get anywhere near the place.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Yes evertonfc, that's a fair call.

I too would like an alternative ticket to be unveiled peacefully, just so we can compare it with the current board.

Even better would be if such a ticket could come to some sort of amicable arrangement with the current board for a smooth transition.

I believe the board has fallen short in several areas over the past 24 months; prior to that it was doing an oustanding job.

If an alternative ticket can point those things out, offer a plan and expertise to get them achieved, and do so without causing great disruption, then I will seriously consider it.

It would help enormously if an alternative had a couple of former players on it like Burkey, Stewie or Spud.

It would ease your mind in terms of knowing that they had the best intentions of the club firmly at the front of their mind.

Just as long as Scott Dennison doesn't get anywhere near the place.
Good post. The bolded point is the most pertinant - I'll be forever grateful to RB for a lot of the good things he did for us.

The new ticket needs a mix of business excellence, club passion and football intelligence - with a commitment to improving the status of the club on-and-off-field, and doing much, much more to make members feel informed and included in the advancement of the club.

That's what I'll be looking for from the new ticket. Nathan Burke would be a great guy to get involved from a PR perspective.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Just as long as Scott Dennison doesn't get anywhere near the place.
And Steve Bedwell

Most sensible and well thoughout thread in months BTW hardly any personal bickering it's great.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Drat, I knew someone else would post this while I was writing my effort. I'll post my comments again here and hope the mods close down the thread I opened.

Sub-text of this totally self-serving article is, methinks, that la Wilson has decided to bail out of the Butterss camp. The end of her article seems almost like a pep talk to the challengers: don't be timid, bring it on!!

Interesting to see Burkey's name mentioned. Clearly Cassius was right in disputing the line run by many on here that Burkey was anti-GT.

Gee she's a piece of work: according to her, the board made the right decision to sack GT but should now go because we didn't make the 8 and because RL is a bad communicator.

Meher Baba says: if you are travelling on a mountain pass and encounter a journo and a deadly snake at the same time, kill the journo first.

nah....i would rather the snake bit the journo,...then you could watch them both die painful deaths.......the snake from rabbies........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Talk says Burke to take on Butterss

barks4eva wrote:
as soon as tomorrow there is every chance Thomas will make good his threat to officially sue the club for more money.

IF SO

This slimy svengali snakeoil salesman will be exposed for the fraud and charlatan that he is in relation to his" I love this club" and the so called "he bleeds red, white and black " that you hear repeatedly from the desciples of the gospels of Thomas

Thomas was paid 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS by this football club for his services and even had three all expenses paid overseas holidays disguised as training camps thrown in to the package

Thomas recieved ALL money that he was contractually obligated for

Thomas tried to negotiate $500,000 bonuses into his contract for premierships, probably an easy way to pay back the million dollars he borrowed from Butterss he would have no doubt thought at the time and the board relented by conceding a $500,000 bonus for two premierships not one but inserted a clause that his services could be terminated at any time with no financial payout.

Thomas's wrangling brought about this irregular contractual arrangement to begin with!

The board made a decision to pay Thomas money he was not contractually obligated to recieve as a settlement package IF he went quietly, and in the boards view he broke the conditions of this agreement and so therefore is not entitled to the extra hush money

We also hear of this money Thomas is now claiming, that he never had a holiday and wants $60,000 in holiday pay, if true then this is an outrageous claim

When you consider the sacrifices that so many footballers made to keep this club in existence by taking 22.5 cents in the dollar with the scheme of arrangement payments, Thomas trying to screw more money out of a football club after he has already recieved TWO and a HALF MILLION DOLLARS is galling in the extreme.

Thomas became coach through a farcical process, without any previous AFL coaching experience and was paid $500,000 a year straight up

Thomas should be grateful that he was paid more than what he should have been to begin with even aside from the dubious nature of his intial appointment

Also interesting to not, that back in the eighties when all these players were making huge financial sacrifices to keep the club in existence, that Thomas was not owed one cent and recieved all monies coming to him and then did a runner to North where he thought he could earn more money there

The only bleeding of red, white and black that Thomas does comes off the clubs bottomline

FAIR DINKUM and I do mean FAIR DINKUM
geez..you still talk crap.......always have and i suppose always will.........if someone owed you 20 grand or 200 grand i suppose you would just forget it.......and pigs may fly......ffs...... :roll: :roll:

JeffDunne

Rod was just on SEN doing some of his best spinning.

Plenty of clichés, plenty of self justification, plenty of "Rossy's" and plenty of talk about sitting down and having coffee. Not much else.

Seems to think our facilities are not as bad as others, and despite all the chest beating it would appear the club isn't relocating.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Rod was just on SEN doing some of his best spinning.

Plenty of clichés, plenty of self justification, plenty of "Rossy's" and plenty of talk about sitting down and having coffee. Not much else.

Seems to think our facilities are not as bad as others, and despite all the chest beating it would appear the club isn't relocating.

he's basically full of it...and full of himself........snake oil salesman whom i wouldn't buy anything from......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

JeffDunne

He definitely has a patronising tone stinger.

I really hate the "Rossy" Lyon, "Rossy" Smith, "we'll meet up for coffee", "little look", etc. crap that fills every interview.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Be grateful it's not "Jeffy Dunne"! :wink:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The funniest line he said this morning was along the lines of that he implored those with views to a challenge to not conduct it through the media.

Lucky my car was parked at the time otherwise I would have driven it off the road.

What a case of "do as i say not as i do"...Where was this approach earlier this season with the dealings with Grant Thomas and the Kingston Council?

Rod, can you spell "hypocrite"?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I also think R.B has done a reasonable job. When you think of the kaos that was the StKilda Football club for so many years, I cant see what the bitch is about R.B. Surely Burkey wouldnt run as Pres on the motivation you are talking about. (sacking of Thomo) I would credit Burkey with a heel of lot more business acumen than that !

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: however if Burke is challenging the board, I would be interested in what he had to say and may consider voting for him.

I appreciate what RB has done and think he has been on the whole a positive president.
Yup - all options are open. I support the STKFC not the president, board, coach or anybody else.

I am becoming very concerned that our bottom line is being propped up by increased cost cutting and no real growth in Revenues.

Cutting unnecessary costs is not a bad thing, however if it effects the core activities of the operation (such as the football dept) questions have to be asked.

No point in making $1 mill profits (profit is only an accounting concept anyway - much better to look at the turnover and cash flows and Balance Sheet of an Organisation) if your core business (winning flags or even making finals) is not occurring.

Will be interested to see how the new ticket proposes to

1) increase revenue
2) keep unnecessary costs to a minimum
3) Increase spending on core value adding activities.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

One thing Rod said this morning that really is an indictment on his administration was his comments on our injury management.

I really wish someone would ask him why it has taken so long for the club to do something concrete about it, especially when he's using it as justification for results this season.

saintwill66
Club Player

My take on this subject is that it is a waste of time to dignify a journalist's malicious speculation with reasoned response. Surely every loyal Saints supporter is heartily sick and tired of the endless destabilising of our beloved club - all that this sort of talk achieves is dragging the club into the gutter, back to the bad old days when the club and the team were a basket case.

So focus on the future and the many positives that lie ahead. We have a much improved coaching panel that will use the experience of their first season to set the club up for strong improvement in all areas, not least fitness and injury management and the overall skill levels. While Gehrig's retirement is sad, the team is far better off with a list of players who are totally committed to lifting their fitness and form to elite levels. Smart trading and drafting will develop added depth, and I have total confidence in both the Board, Management and Football Dept to get that right.

Politics is a game where participants fight to the death: when it infiltrates a sporting club it usually results in disaster!

So if there are forces out there who are plotting a coup or reckon that a change of President or Board Members is absolutely essential for the future of the St Kilda Football Club, please resist the temptation to take it into the public spotlight, don't give the sporting journos the satisfaction of stirring up further trouble - and keep in mind the feelings of the thousands of ordinary Saints supporters who hate to see our great club trashed in public!

JeffDunne

I agree saintwill66 and it's why Rod needs to go.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I agree saintwill66 and it's why Rod needs to go.

But for who???

I'm not against Rod going but I'm not going to get someone in just to get rid of Rod. You give the impression (whether true or not) that anyone would be better than Rod. He's done some good things and some bad things but again there has to be a viable alternative which at this stage there is not. Would you take Bedwell over Rod just to get rid of him? Someone with money and expertise has to step up for Rod to go not to just piss him off with no alternative.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:Ok, that's an excuse for the first half of the season . . . what's their excuse for the second half?
11 games,
7 wins
3 losses
1 draw.

I don't know how they can live with themselves.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Mr X from the West
Club Player

It's in the nature of football clubs (indeed, all sporting clubs and arguably other clubs as well) that there be internal wranglings, nashing of teeth, finger pointing, grandstanding, spills, threats and all the rest of it.

So let's not get too upset about this....we're not bloody BHP or the Australian Goverment.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
JeffDunne

BAM!, I don't doubt we were better in the second half but we had a relatively soft draw. Other than the West Coast win in Perth, there weren't many games where we came close to playing to a level we are capable of.

HarveysDeciple

Mr Magic wrote:I think attard was 'dropped' for a week but didn't play the following week for Scorpions so maybe he wasm't actually 'dropped' but was injured?
He came stratight back into teh team without playing for Scorps IIRC.
got knocked out against sydney.

was still feeling the affects I reckon, and hence didnt get picked.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

with all due respect to rich,foots,carl if we are taking them as wins we are fooling ourselves..all other clubs worth their salt have beaten these clubs by 10 gls or more we have fallen over the line hence we are looking to the draft they are looking to play finals

we finished the season 4 wins 7 losses...2 of those wins
adel-2 pts
eagles in perth-2 pts the difference with 2 mins to play..it was only baker snaring that ball that was oob which set up the win

just dont believe how a pyss poor season can be made to look acceptable

barks was correct....no matter how you juggle the figures the squares are rooted

as a group (which a club is) the players ,coaches & officals have come up short...next yrs membership,sponsorship,gate will take a hammering if things continue as they are

kaos theory
Club Player

One thing Rod said this morning that really is an indictment on his administration was his comments on our injury management.

I really wish someone would ask him why it has taken so long for the club to do something concrete about it, especially when he's using it as justification for results this season.
JD - you have become this sad pathetic poster that continually blames everything on Rod...And you have the nerve to redicule B4e!

Remember that most of the football 'management' was in the control of GT over the last 5 yrs. As said eleswhere, we have gone backwards over the last 2 to 3 yrs, relative to other clubs.... The 'I run everything' model under GT is a stupid strategy in a highly competative environment...GT had to go, maybe the board acted too slowly in stamping its authority on the footy department.

Point is the current board has been responsible for some good things & bad (in recent times). Its making tough decisions, but still laggging in some areas. But its not an evil force as you paint it out to be.

IF there is a challanging board, it needs to be CREDIBLE, have a clear vision for the club & how it will implemenet it.....(also no GT)

But replacement at any cost is stupid & naive......we need a credible alternative.