CLinton Jones- is he good enough?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintgus
Club Player

CLinton Jones- is he good enough?

i think today we saw that clinton jones can be quite a good player who has a bit of heart but he just alcks any real pace.
IS he good enough to make it at AFL level? if so he needs to add some pace and unpredictability

Saints for the flag 2010
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: CLinton Jones- is he good enough?

saintgus wrote:i think today we saw that clinton jones can be quite a good player who has a bit of heart but he just alcks any real pace.
IS he good enough to make it at AFL level? if so he needs to add some pace and unpredictability
Where did we actually see today he would be a good player. I hope your right but I cannot see it.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Gawn.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Love how people write off players after a handful of games...

Same could have been said about Gilbo, Goose, Dal et al after a couple of matches.

I think clint has alot to offer as a matter of fact.

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Love how people write off players after a handful of games...

Same could have been said about Gilbo, Goose, Dal et al after a couple of matches.

The differnce is his age. He is half wat through his career at his age. You cannot improve his field kicking at 23.

nicko016
Club Player

I think he might struggle. Hea good tackler and got good heart but he's not really a natural footballer. He has no proper technique for his kicking and has little smoothness and fluency when he has the ball. I guess when you're playing in the WAFL its not as important with having proper technique with your kicking but in the AFL you quickly get found out.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The differnce is his age. He is half wat through his career at his age. You cannot improve his field kicking at 23.
\
Andrew Thompson anyone?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i have not seen one thing from him that would indicate that he can play the game at this level........sorry...hope to be proven wrong...but don't think so....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

\
Andrew Thompson anyone?

Better skills. Faster and just plain better.

saintgus
Club Player

yer he does struggle...its just that they seem to play him around the midfield and he has no pace or flair....hopefully he comes good though with a long pre season under his belt

Saints for the flag 2010
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

\
Andrew Thompson anyone?

Better skills. Faster and just plain better.
What I mean is... many people wrote him off early... he proved them wrong... i hope clint does the same.

They walk amongst us...

Richter
SS Life Member

He's had a good go to show what he is made of. More AFL games than most rookies will ever play.

He is fast by foot, but his poor reading of the play and shocking disposal means that he looks slow once you put the whole package together.

His "forward pressure" is good, but there is more surely to AFL standard football than this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept on as a rookie for one more season - but he may be too old. If so then I think he should be cut.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Same could have been said about Gilbo, Goose, Dal et al after a couple of matches.

Gilbert - Did nothing wrong in his first few games. Showed a couple of good signs and looked to be a player of the future
Maguire - Showed great effort playing out of his weight division and did an honourable job. He has always had the tools to be a great player
Dal Santo - Was talked up as a future star from his debut. Silky skills and brilliant awareness from day one

Jones has done nothing good. He turns the ball over every time he is under any sort of pressure and still stuffs up the kick when there is no pressure. No right side...or left side. His pace is about average for a midfielder and he is physically weak. He runs hard but not to the right place. He usually gets to the contest 3 seconds too late. There are no positive aspects in his game.

hotdish
Club Player

RL has gone on record several times, stating that we need more speedy ballcarrying midfielders.

As a result, CJ will be persevered with.

Its his first year of AFL, and his his kicking skills will be worked on over summer.

He's speedy, and a good tackler. Has got more games in one year than sweeney and armitage this year.

He will be on our list next year GUARENTEED

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:RL has gone on record several times, stating that we need more speedy ballcarrying midfielders.

As a result, CJ will be persevered with.

Its his first year of AFL, and his his kicking skills will be worked on over summer.

He's speedy, and a good tackler. Has got more games in one year than sweeney and armitage this year.

He will be on our list next year GUARENTEED
Well that says somrthing about our depth dont you think.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Not much RL can do when he walks into a club where Phil Raymond and a 34 year old Andrew Thompson are the backup midfielders ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:RL has gone on record several times, stating that we need more speedy ballcarrying midfielders.

He's speedy, and a good tackler.
I just don't see that in him. Today was the first time I have ever seen him run with the ball. He got the footy 5m clear of an opponent, ran 20m and ended up getting tackled as he kicked it. He certainly doesn't have outstanding pace. He might be quick on the training track, but a guy like Dal Santo who is evasive and smart is much better running with the footy even though he just has ordinary pace.

Jones' tackling is pathetic. He attempted about 10 tackles today. About 6 times he was just shrugged off by his opponent, a couple of times he tackled the player AFTER he got rid of it, and the other couple of times his opponent was able to stand up in the tackle and dish the ball off. Jones' tackling is not AFL standard.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

4 effective tackles for the game.

Only 3 errors from his 11 possessions, and 1 score assist.

Had a good last quarter.

Give him 4-5 games in a row next year ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
eppo67
Club Player

Dud. Will not make it.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:4 effective tackles for the game.

Only 3 errors from his 11 possessions, and 1 score assist.
Errors = clangers. Clangers are uncontested disposals that go directly to the opposition. It doesn't take into account poorly positioned kicks to forwards who have to battle to contest the ball, kicks that fall short of a team mate (kick to Sam Fisher in the backline that resulted in a Tiger goal) and when you cough up the ball in a pack. The score assist was when he and Fiora (?) were handballing it to each other 50 out from goal.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:He got the footy 5m clear of an opponent, ran 20m and ended up getting tackled as he kicked it. He certainly doesn't have outstanding pace. He might be quick on the training track, but a guy like Dal Santo who is evasive and smart is much better running with the footy even though he just has ordinary pace.
Agree 100% MSG :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

As much as he trys hard and looks a great bloke, no good I'm afraid, his disposal is not up to AFL standard, he might have pace but its not enough.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

I think he's exactly what the mighty (Seaford) Tigers need to guarantee us a premiership in the MPNFL next season

That's about as positive as I can be in addressing the said topic.....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Munga
Saintsational Legend

If he learns to kick he'll be ok.
I can't believe in this day and age there are players in the afl who lack the basic skill of kicking!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Do we know his background in terms of when he started playing the game when he started to be serious about footy? Would be interesting just looks to me like a kid who took the game up late in his teen age years and is still learning the game he may be older in age but experience he might not be as experienced as other his age. The club will not be looking to him to be a 10 year player but if he can develop and give us 6 or 7 years he could be a handy pick up and if the club is prepared to spend the time on developing a player that is better than always recycling older players that have been dumped by other clubs.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.