Birss was f****** sensational...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

Birss was f****** sensational...

He KILLED Foley.

To hear people ring up radio and say on here they want to axe him your obviously the idiot stereotype.

Great game Birssy.

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Was one of our best today, 18 touches and 9 tackles.
Good second tier midfielder

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed, was very good & has been after his inauspicious debut.

A good depth player, maybe a good option in the role he played today.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't get the constant critisism of Birss. He is a very handy backup midfielder. Has good skills, enough pace, good clearance work and tries his guts out.

eppo67
Club Player

I cant believe the clowns on some of these posts bagging him.

He is Thommos replacement and I think he is going to a very good job of it. Very good back up on baller.

midas_touch
Club Player

Birss was very good today, winning a lot of the ball in the contests. Has been a decent find, and is nearly a best 22 player now.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I don't get the constant critisism of Birss. He is a very handy backup midfielder. Has good skills, enough pace, good clearance work and tries his guts out.
Totally agree.

Good around the clearances, has great delivery into the forwardline and can find the footy.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JT
Club Player

leigh fisher played on foley

|Andy|
Club Player

birss was good. i love how him having a long neck shows how straight he keeps his back when kicking the ball.

To the top
SS Life Member

Again I must have been at the wrong game because I thought Leigh Fisher had the job on Foley - and did very well to render him virtually inconsequental.

Fisher was in the centre square at the first bounce and followed Foley from then on.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eh, have people completely forgotten the fact that Foley was tagged by Leigh Fisher?

Birss played nearly 100% game time - surely you'd expect at least 15-20 touches, yeah?

He was good, he could have been better (especially around goal), and his niche is as a back-up midfielder. He should play no more than 8-10 games next year if we're a finals-grade team.

He tried his best and that's all you can ask for - I thought he had a crack and I was happy with his efforts.

However, back to Leigh Fisher - I thought his tagging job was pretty damn good. NOW, Ross Lyon, I asked this VERY question last week - why wasn't he TAGGING COUSINS instead of Blake? He PROVED he can tag today, and he did it against Hawthorn earlier in the year as well.

I have been critical of Fisher (some have countered back he's been injured - fair enough), but one thing he does have is a good negating ability...and if he can sit on a player, have 10-15 touches (he's a reasonable user of the ball) of his own, he can have an impact.

With Baker missing the first five games of next year, I'd like to see him moved into the midfielder if ever an opposition midfielder starts running hot.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Birss is a liability, one of the reasons we finished 9th is because we have liabilities such as him and Blake running around and through our midfield at that :shock:

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Birss is a liability, one of the reasons we finished 9th is because we have liabilities such as him and Blake running around and through our midfield at that :shock:

FAIR DINKUM
He shouldn't be in our top 35. He should be a real break-glass-emergency type player.

But he did reasonably well against a rubbish team, as you'd expect.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Birss would be in the top 35 players of every team in the AFL.

Don't talk rubbish evertonfc.

Perhaps he shouldn't be in our top 25 ... but he didn't do anything wrong today except kick poorly for goal.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Birss would be in the top 35 players of every team in the AFL.
Shocking call Oh When The Saints.

If he was delisted, do you reckon another team would pick him up?

When I think of where we want to be at - a premiership team - I doubt Birss would feature much in that team during the year.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 01 Sep 2007 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Birss would be in the top 35 players of every team in the AFL.

Name me a team list on which he WOULDN'T be in the top 35 players.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Name me a team list on which he WOULDN'T be in the top 35 players.
In which team would he be in the top 35?

Some bottom eight teams, perhaps. But I ask you, do you want us to be only a bottom eigh team...or a top eight team?

He's a fringe player mate, and no amount of wishing or wanting on the part of the fans will change that.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Birss is a liability, one of the reasons we finished 9th is because we have liabilities such as him and Blake running around and through our midfield at that :shock:

FAIR DINKUM
Yeah, righto...

Have another dig at Blake :roll: :roll:

Blake is far better than your "idol" you praised all last year and I find it amazing that last year you mentioned that you have nothing against Blake :shock:

You are only kidding yourself, which I feel you tend to do most of the time.

Blake is better than Rix..

If you are going to "rubbish" a player like Birss or Blake...

Why don't you start with Your farken Rix?? :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Geelong for one.

They have 39 blokes on their list.

Birss is better than Callan, West, Playfair, Gamble, Spencer, Gardiner, Owen, Hogan, and Djerrkura.

That puts him about 30th on their list ...

Take away 6 blokes being injured (i.e. St Kilda's injury list) and all of a sudden Birss is 24th in line to get a match.

Hence he played against Richmond today.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Geelong for one.

They have 39 blokes on their list.

Birss is better than Callan, West, Playfair, Gamble, Spencer, Gardiner, Owen, Hogan, and Djerrkura.

That puts him about 30th on their list ...

Take away 6 blokes being injured (i.e. St Kilda's injury list) and all of a sudden Birss is 24th in line to get a match.

Hence he played against Richmond today.
If you can get Geelong fans on Cats Claw to universally agree to that above claim, I'll acknowledge your point.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

That's like asking me to get universal acknowledgement of the existence of god.

Weak argument evertonfc.

Don't back away from making your own judgement about what I have said.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:That's like asking me to get universal acknowledgement of the existence of god.

Weak argument evertonfc.

Don't worry...

He tends to have a habit of that..

Where you at the game evertonfc??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:That's like asking me to get universal acknowledgement of the existence of god.

Weak argument evertonfc.

No, it's just that I completely disagree with your point and you seem to be struggling in your argument. And you've just avoided my suggestion - because you know what they will say, you know they'll agree with me. If I'm wrong, why not test it?

St Fidelius, you like getting personal, I don't know why. I didn't see you at the game - but I don't really know what you look like. You should have come up to the box and said hello :)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM
Anyway, back on Birss and a "so called" liability...

Yes, grant it on some occasions his kicking lets him down...

But IMO it's not a skill error and more of a confidence issue...

Birss did lay 9 tackles and played well and on his performance this year is NOT one of the reasons why we finished 9th...

Birss has probably had his best season of his career and his main feature this year is his step up in his tackling (and full credit to him IMO)

Why don't you rubbish a player that has less skill and if were the same size as Birss he would not get a game in the little league

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Not avoiding your suggestion.

But you seriously expect Geelong supporters to rate their own players objectively.

Maybe a few would ... but seeking universal approval?

Fair dinkum, there are some St Kilda fans who would insist Justin Sweeney shows more than Gary Ablett ...

You are refusing to address the example I raised ... if you disagree with me, form your own opinion. Don't rely on some brain dead Geelong supporters to win an argument for you.