Who would you axe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:Delist six players

Blake, time to exit him out
Birss, runs around like an anaethetized ostrich
Raymond, nobody loves Raymond
Voss, too slow, yesterday's news
Howard, getting rid of Howard in 2007 seems to be the order of the day
Where do you come up with this stuff Barks? :) Do you really expect this to happen, or are you just after some responses? Another Blake discussion maybe, for those who haven't heard your "not a utility, he's a liability" line? It is pretty clever...

I'm a sucker, I'll bite.

Raymond doesn't seem to have much to argue for keeping him. Voss may be delisted if they can identify a prospect, can't work out a trade, or need extra room to promote a rookie after the retirees and Raymond if Brooks (may have had his career saved by G's retirement), Ferg (really can't see why we need more than 1 of Ferg/Gwilt, and Gwilt gets the nod from me, but it's not like we're under boatloads of pressure to make that decision) and Sweeney (from rumours and his one game, I like the idea of Sweeney, but those question marks on his attitude hang around like a bad smell... drop to rookie list?) survive. Blake, Birss and Howard have all done enough to suggest they'll get AFL level games in '08.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
DK27 wrote:Some rubbish is posted on here. Brooks has not played for several reasons. Has anyone seen him train? He appears to do the bare minimum. No effort. Our best players train as if their life depends on it. This attitude follows through to matches. Brooks has minimal second efforts and does not look fit enough to run a game out. Lazy. I would give my left one for a pinch of his talent but he has wasted it. Took 12 marks and played OK in the ruck on Sunday and has been playing quite well for several weeks. If he just had a red hot go and and got really fit he could make it. With Doc Clarke retiring he may just one last chance but RL is all about effort and attitude and that is Brooks' short suit.
spot on

i hope Spinner is reading.....

Im reading....

But please enlighten me once again....is that Effort measured in Metric or Imperial units because im having trouble finding some stats on it.

Brombergsaint
Club Player

Fraser,Thomo and M clarke retired. I think V2 should retire as well.

Raymond - delisted

Sweeney - Maybe

Mini - Maybe

Thats it.......

Keep Wall, Van Rheenan and attard on the rookie list

Promote Eddy and Geary to the main list. They are ahead of Howard and Armittage at this stage from what I've seen at casey this year ( very good on sunday)

Get rid of CJ

That leaves room for three draft picks and three rookies. This years draft is supposed to be shallow so 3- 4 picks tops + maybe 1 in the pre season draft.

Have never been a fan of Brooks especially of what we gave up to port but I Must admit he has won me over during the second half of the season at Casey. He is quick for his size, a good grab, been ok and improving in the ruck, has good skills, can read the game, and starting to show leadership skills. He must be given one more year. Way in front of Watts when forward and better than Rix and M.Clarke in the ruck IMHO

FAITH IS WHAT THE SAINTS ARE ALL ABOUT
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
DK27 wrote:Some rubbish is posted on here. Brooks has not played for several reasons. Has anyone seen him train? He appears to do the bare minimum. No effort. Our best players train as if their life depends on it. This attitude follows through to matches. Brooks has minimal second efforts and does not look fit enough to run a game out. Lazy. I would give my left one for a pinch of his talent but he has wasted it. Took 12 marks and played OK in the ruck on Sunday and has been playing quite well for several weeks. If he just had a red hot go and and got really fit he could make it. With Doc Clarke retiring he may just one last chance but RL is all about effort and attitude and that is Brooks' short suit.
spot on

i hope Spinner is reading.....

Im reading....

But please enlighten me once again....is that Effort measured in Metric or Imperial units because im having trouble finding some stats on it.
sorry, i'll try be clearer for the intellectual midgets in here

its not something you read about in your physics books

its something people who know what it takes to play football refer to

ie. "that was a good effort", "he put in a poor second effort" etc.

if there were too many 3 syllable words for you, and you want me to explain it again in simpler terms, just let me know :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
To the top
SS Life Member

I just reckon that a couple of players were given games late because they had to deliver to remain.

Ferguson, Jones and Gwilt.

And they did not deliver.

Mid sized players, flankers who can not rotate into the mid-field.

The defensive flanks are taken, so if you play them they have to play as forward flankers or pockets.

I reckon these three are in trouble, noting Jones is a rookie.

The fact that Raymond has not been able to command a VFL league spot in his second year puts doubts. But I have never seem him play (including TV games) and only know that his build remains light.

Conversley, Howard did show a bit in his debut game although, again, light in frame.

But kids build up - so you do not throw the baby out with the bath water.

We have lost M. Clarke, Gehrig, Thompson and I would think that Voss would not survive.

So that is 7 from our list (ex rookies).

Then there is Hamill, who is contracted but may be on the LTI list - again.

And I would be tempted to see what currency Milne has - noting that there were no nibbles 12 months ago when Thomas marked his papers.

The status of the rookies from 2007 will be interesting - again have not seen them except for TV games so can not comment except for noting any inclusions in best player lists.

When Lyon says the club has 16 players who could do the job on the last Saturday in September, is that number now 15 post Gehrig and including Harvey?

Because we will need to put that 15 in their optimum positions and then fill the gaps.

And the remainder 7 is a third of the side!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Delist six players?! O.o

Plus three retirements...

Will only be able to drop a couple, if that...

Anyhoo.

I am really unhappy with Mini's year. I thought it was an absolute write off.

Birss is a GOP, no more, no less.

Fergs may be out of time.

Milne must be on the table.

Gwilt may need more time. Remember his first few games this year when he covered our backline....we would have been absolutely smashed without him.

I dont think we have a lot to take to the trade table to be honest.

More kids may be the best way to go. A strong Rookie list would satisfy me somewhat.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Delist six players

Blake, time to exit him out
Birss, runs around like an anaethetized ostrich
Raymond, nobody loves Raymond
Voss, too slow, yesterday's news
Howard, getting rid of Howard in 2007 seems to be the order of the day

McQualter, might get us a third round selection

I'd keep Brooks, but if he must go then we need to get something for him even if it is only another third round selection, as Thomas and Rendell gave away pick 6 and 31 for him, as if pick 6 wasn't enough already

Definitely keep Ferguson and play him on a half forward flank, needs and deserves more opportunities

Is there any way we can axe Thomas again?, I enjoyed it so much the first time
Delist Blake... and on top of your list... for someone that has repeatedly mentioned that he has nothing against Blake :roll: :roll:

How about putting Rix on top of that list :idea:

The ageing M Clarke had a better average than Rix in KO and possessions...

and he is retiring :roll:

One begs the question if your "boy" Rix is worth it IMO...

So of course....

lets delist Blake ahead of Rix???

Oh...

I still wonder why you manage to mention GT in nearly every second post. :roll:

Move on...

YOU are obvious...

you have a problem in not moving on and we on here are constantly reminded of it....

Get help and stop this nonsense FFS

GET HELP WITH YOUR OBSESSION :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
briggsy

keep birss another season, i think he has some potential, and keep brooks we need someone tall and i dont rate Rix. Jones can still get the ball but has poor disposal so he needs work but still some potential. gwilt has played some decent games and some bad ones but i say bring back the hair! :D

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

briggsy wrote:keep birss another season, i think he has some potential, and keep brooks we need someone tall and i dont rate Rix. Jones can still get the ball but has poor disposal so he needs work but still some potential. gwilt has played some decent games and some bad ones but i say bring back the hair! :D
I dont think we should delist birss.

I reckon if we accept what he is, a fringe player between 20th and 30th on our list and bring him when necessary.

his wage would be somewhere between 100k and 160k IMO, and i think people shouldn't expect him to be luke ball or NDS.

he is probably our next schwarz and a lightening rod for disgruntlement.

he isn't in our best 22 IMO, but given time maybe.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Thu 06 Sep 2007 10:28am, edited 1 time in total.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Funny thing I read is we are looking to axe players who have actually managed to string a few matches together such as Birrs.

To be hoinest i'd look at guys who can't get a game but not watching the VFL I have absolutely no idea about guys like Raymond for example.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote:Funny thing I read is we are looking to axe players who have actually managed to string a few matches together such as Birrs.
A very fair point. Blake has played all games this season, so he's obviously rated enough by the match committee to do so. Birss has also strung several games together, and has been what he is; a second string midfielder. He's a mile in front of Jones IMO, who seems incapable of kicking a football accurately at all. A midfielder with poor disposal is a liability IMO.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Thread "Who would you axe?"
So far we have three retirements, Gehrig, M.Clarke and Thompson.
There is a possibility of B.Voss also, but there have benn no signs from him yet.
Raymond must go, cant get a game with Scorpion Seniors.
Sweeney would probably be next to go.
Others to be considered...
B.Voss if he does not retire.
Barry Brooks.
Matt Ferguson.
Fergus Watts.
Andrew McQualter.

With the rookies, if C.Jones is not permanently promoted he has to go. Too old now for a rookie. (Is this correct)? I am not sure about Wall. The fact that Ross Lyons brought him from Sydney may indicate he is favoured. Promote Eddy and Geary, Eddy was A.A. last year. Stiff to be not taken in main draft. Probably better option than a lot of players who will be taken in the early rounds this year. Keep Van Rhys and Attard as rookies.
That means we have four draft picks and three rookie places to fill. We need a ruckman, a KP Defender, and a couple of more on-ballers. For the rookie draft I would take the same, another ruckman, a KPP, and an on-baller.
I would only trade to improve our draft pick situation.
My view anyway.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Can someone tell me this?

How does a medium sized player who has no ball skills with either hand or foot, but is blonde and can run quickly, get as far as earning a place in a mid-ranking AFL side? Is that all it takes these days?

Don't anyone mention ball magnet. I know all about ball magnets!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wrt to mqualter, he hasn't set the house on fire, but i remember similar comments about monty who struggled to get a place in the seniors for a few years.

a real fringe player who didn't get much time in springvale/casey either.

when he did come into the seniors it was off the bench.
in 06 he showed improvement and 07 he was amongst our best.
mini is 20/21, IMO if the talent is there, its worth keeping him.

brooks...same age as McIntosh, the casey coach says he is winning in the ruck, he is taking marks and kicking a few goals.

if we are looking at getting pick 2/pick 3 ruckmen, give brooks a go in the ruck, he can't be worse than rix can he?

fergus watts is 20, coming of a year long injury, he looks pretty slight, from the little I have seen of him, he can take a mark, and he can kick a goal, give him some vitamin pills, bulk him up and see how he goes.

again you only hve to look at the huge amount of time North, brisbane, etc spend on their juniors.

you dont axe 20 years unless they are hopeless.

IMO we replace him with a round 3 or 4 draft pick that takes 3 or 4 seasons to develop? pointless exercise.

if he has the talent give him time.

again mcintosh 13 games in 4 season till 07...Brennan....bench player, still is, and still develooping.

Not saying we will keep them OR they will become guns, but shooting the players under 21/22 is a pointless exercise unless they are hopeless beyond redemption (Beetham)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
To the top
SS Life Member

Unfortunately for McQualter, Montagna showed a fair bit more before establishing in the senior side.

Montagna evidenced skills and pace from the outset, and it was a matter of time before he established.

Beveridge spoke of him as a back-pocket.

With McQualter, we do not appear to be in the position of saying that he is the logical next replacement, as Montagna was for when a gap opened up with the decline of Powell and Peckett.

He has had opportunities, but apart from once turning an opponent inside out, has not looked dangerous.

Depends on what is out there as to where we go with McQualter - and what he has shown the coaching staff.

To me his size pits him against Montagna - and to date I have seen nothing to say McQualter is up to the standard Montagna was at at a like stage of development. Not as quick, does not kick as long and is not as clean with the ball.

Remember that the coach speculated on R. Clarke and Gilbert as "6 foot 2 plus running mid-fielders" and this would further decrease McQualter's opportunities.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Also remember we have to delist 3 people each year to make room for 3 rounds of national draft picks.

If we get rid of everyone this year, we'll have to get rid of some decent players next year!