Do we 'Deserve' to play finals?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Do we 'Deserve' to play finals?

It's an interesting question.

When we went to Perth to play West Coast, I fgiured that if we made the 8 (at the time I thought that would require 12 wins) we deserved to make it.

If we didn't get the 12 wins, then quite simply we didn't deserve it. I didn't think we could make it and not deserve to be there as we would have to have beaten 2 of West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney to get the 12 wins we need.

We have beaten West Coast, Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn this year.

Now, we may scrape in with 11.5 wins which on face value isn't a ratio which warrants finals footy.

What do you think? Do we 'deserve' to be there?

If we make it, then I do.

If we don't, then we don't.

Make sense?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

if we get there it will because we either have more points or a better percentage than the next 8 teams...so of course we would deserve to be there.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

no

but its going to be out of Lions, Crows and us. i have seen better footy from us but not good enough for finals!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Peanut
Club Player

'deserve' is not in my vocabulary . . . did we deserve to lose Bakes?
Considering a new coach and new adjusted game plan, tactics and injuries (especially on the outset with BJ) it was always going to be tricky. But it would be a fantastic result, even if we don't last long. It would be great for the players to get a feel for finals before next year as we miss out on all the big game blackbusters throughout the year. On paper I reckon with everyone on song we could still give the others a fright if we get past this week. I will keep my dream - whatever the odds.

GO SAINTS - GO PIES

Solar
Saintsational Legend

yes

you go back to the hawks game where we barely had a player fit and to think we are a chance to play finals is fantastic to be honest. Thats just taking this year as a context.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:'deserve' is not in my vocabulary . . . did we deserve to lose Bakes?
Considering a new coach and new adjusted game plan, tactics and injuries (especially on the outset with BJ) it was always going to be tricky. But it would be a fantastic result, even if we don't last long. It would be great for the players to get a feel for finals before next year as we miss out on all the big game blackbusters throughout the year. On paper I reckon with everyone on song we could still give the others a fright if we get past this week. I will keep my dream - whatever the odds.

GO SAINTS - GO PIES
Your post seems to be a bit more focussed on whether or not it would good for us to play finals, not whether or not our efforts this year warrant us a spot in the 8.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

We deserve to be there as much as Adelaide or Brisbane, who like us have had inconsistent years

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

firstly as someone said before if we win more games than 8 other teams then of course we deserve to be there

I think it was mentioned during the call on friday night, that since the mid season break, if there was a ladder just on those games we would be coming third, that probably changed with fridays loss, but we are still going ok

someone else asked is it good to play finals, the answer to that is of course yes yes and yes

just to give the experience to people like gilbert is reason enough

if we can make the finals, it is a whole new season (albeit short) of footy and anything can happen

hawks, roos and pies all have inexperienced finals lists
swans are getting injured and form is questionable

so of course we want to play finals

fqf

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

in retro spect we have beaten syd freo westcoast and adl this year thats last years top 4 and we have also beaten hawthorn and been in winnable situations against Geelong North and Collingwood

in hinesight losing early games to Essendon & Brisbane have hurt us
but if we do make the finals then over all i feel we have deserved to make it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Mr X from the West
Club Player

We "deserve" it as much as (if not more than) Adelaide who even their own fans admit are playing s*** footy this year.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
yipper
SS Life Member

If we make it - we would be in 8th spot. That means we have had a better season than 8 other teams - and we finished as the 8th best team. So, yes we will deserve to be there totally.

Once the finals start - we could well make it down to the last 4. So, that would mean we have had a very good year.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

On form? Probably not; but I'd still take it! :wink:

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

St DAC wrote:On form? Probably not; but I'd still take it! :wink:
thats my point, our form is not too bad

if we get in we will go in with 7w 1d and 3l from last 11

I think that would stack up pretty well and signify that we are actually in form

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I meant over the entire season Terry; 4-7 from the first 11 is poor.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

St DAC wrote:I meant over the entire season Terry; 4-7 from the first 11 is poor.
agreed

no worries I guess the forum has been alot of doom and gloom this last week (with some justification)

the reality of the last 11 weeks is that we have really only just been beaten in all 3 loses, as disappointing as they have been

we have not actually been pumped for some time

my les foote
Club Player

If Collingwood beats Adelaide and we win the next five games, do we 'deserve' a premiership?

I'll take it.

Win it for HIM!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I think we have done better this year than we would have under the previous system, we would have been bottom 4 I firmly believe if GT had stayed in charge.

In terms of "deserving" to make the Finals, it is a hard question to answer, I'd probably say no, but 8th rarely does anything anyway in terms of impact so it matters little.

If we somehow managed to fluke a Flag (ha ha) we would be the least deserving premiers since Fitzroy in 1916.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

:D Can I answer this question after Friday night?? :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I think we have done better this year than we would have under the previous system, we would have been bottom 4 I firmly believe if GT had stayed in charge.
me feels you have opened a whole new can of worms with that comment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

agree Ric, now that the underhanded GT is gone we are much better for it.....if we do make the finals, I just want us at worst to make it to week 2 - so that the record books say we've finished higher than in 2006.....BUT given our better draw this year, I estimate to be worth 8 points (2 games) over and above the 2006 draw, this year won't in adjusted terms be better than last year IMO unless we make the Prelims or better, if that makes any sense!

The final 8 system is flawed - you are a midrange team (8th spot) and make the finals.

What a crock!

No team that finishes in the middle of the pack in any comp with 16 teams in it is much chop.

Oh well, at least it's better than the VFL, where 8 teams make the finals....out of only 13 clubs....work that one out!!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Woah! "Underhanded" I did not say or mean.

I just think he was out of tricks, a coaching style like that had its benefits, but a limited shelf life, and after 5 1/2 years, it was out of steam.

battye
Saintsational Legend

If we end up with more points and/or a better percentage than 8 other teams, then yes, we deserve to make it.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Deserve has nothing to do with it in this so called competition.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cam1lla
Club Player

deserving hasnt got nothing to do with it i dont think. i think it is based on our players skills and seen as we have had a few injuries with some key players this year then we might just scrape through to the 8. But even if we dont get in it doesnt mean we never deserved it.

rexy
SS Life Member

If we make it we deserve it, if we dont then we dont.

Ric, I cant help but feel completely the opposite to you on your statements, with Gt as coach I feel our early season form would have been a lot better but we may not have won as many games against top 8 teams like W/C Adelaide and Sydney. I think we would be similarly placed but with a better %.

However I dont beleive our preassure/intensity or the defensive side of our game would have improved as much as they have and I dont beleive our current form would be as good as it currently is.

To asess coach Lyon as a whole I would say that he has taught our side some valuable lessons however at times he has curbed our natural ability to score heavily to much, which has cost us some games. The weekends game was the best all around football we have played this year IMO and if we can produce that football in finals then i personally think we could go deeper in to september. The worry is that we may have cost ourselves the chance to prove that with some overly negative tactics in the first half of the year.

Maybe this year?