Blues v Demons, draft picks, tanking etc

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:
There was a time when the wooden spoon was a symbol of shame, now it's like second prize.
you got that right.......and carscum are catching up to us......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

carlton most likely will bribe the dees into winning.

pratt will hand over a cardboard box (he's the cardboard king- no more brown paper bags for the beggars!) with $250K cash in it to Melbourne!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The AFL has beautifully set up the Tank Round so that the Dees and Blues Game is last and both teams will therefore know exactly what picks they are tanking for.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
wildgoose
Club Player

Surely the players on the field would still give it there all. Id find it disgusting as a supporter if a player on the field wouldn't be giving it there all, just for draft picks for next year.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:So Andrew Demetriou is either stupid, or he is lying to us all.
Its a bit of both, as far as I can see.

On second thought, make that alot of both.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

wildgoose wrote:Surely the players on the field would still give it there all. Id find it disgusting as a supporter if a player on the field wouldn't be giving it there all, just for draft picks for next year.
first of all the blues and the dees can select very weak teams.

secondly, they can both go very soft at training during the week (ie. coached without passion!).

thirdly, both teams could let their players go out for a late night on Saturday.

....and then the players could give their all Sunday - bugger all of nothing still equals nothing!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
wildgoose
Club Player

If they both tank, and follow your points Saints Premiers, it should be one really bad game. :lol:

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
Brewer
Club Player

wildgoose wrote:Surely the players on the field would still give it there all. Id find it disgusting as a supporter if a player on the field wouldn't be giving it there all, just for draft picks for next year.
Well I guess this depends a lot on whether you believe that players can have their spirits affected by external influences.

If you believe that a team can lift for a milestone match, then almost by definition you have to accept that a team can be deflated by unfavourable finals matchups or sorely needed draft picks (especially if your team is at a very low ebb and the only bright light on the horizon is an injection of new talent).

If, on the other hand, you take Sammy Newman's position that a team automatically gives 100% every time regardless, then the issue of tanking becomes one of deliberate intentions.

Either way the result is the same, and I think to suggest that every single member of a bottom performing team, along with the coaching staff and fans, would all give 100% for the entire match is pretty naive. It only takes 1 or 2 people to think 'you know what, losing wouldn't be the worst thing for us this week' to create doubt in the ranks and a general failure to fire up.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:carlton most likely will bribe the dees into winning.

pratt will hand over a cardboard box (he's the cardboard king- no more brown paper bags for the beggars!) with $250K cash in it to Melbourne!
\
don't laugh pple.....they are morally bankrupt enough to at least consider such a course of action......you would want more than $250, 000. though.......

...as i said a few weeks ago,.....this could be the first game in history were the only scoring will be rushed behinds......

Brewer
Club Player

It's a shame it's a Foxtel game, I'd really like to see it now but I'm not sure I'd pay to see it...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:It's a shame it's a Foxtel game, I'd really like to see it now but I'm not sure I'd pay to see it...
i will be watching it...will have the same fancination as those tellie shows that show car accidents......

Brewer
Club Player

Next on Fox... WHEN FOOTY GOES BAD!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

TheBabyBlues wrote:The AFL created the system, we are playing the game and doing what any team would be doing, yours included.
The AFL is rewarding your club for woeful mismanagement. What's worse is they're giving Carlton a pick that would have historically gone to Richmond on the justification that your team is a perennial basket case. Personally, I think the new priority pick system stinks worse than the old one, and the old one stunk mightily.

If Carlton really needed young talent through the draft, they could have traded guys like Fevola and Whitnall like we did with Hall and Everitt and Hawthorn did with Thompson and Hay. They could have gone the other way and used some of their draft picks to bring in some established players to help out the young guns. Instead, they've just done nothing, hoping that one of their established players would step into a leadership role, hoping that their gun draft picks would mature by themselves.

The worst thing is the losing culture that they have allowed to develop. I've never seen a club in any sport so content to lose their last several games. All for what? A gun ruckman who won't have any real impact for at least a couple more years. Carlton has had plenty of draft picks. What they need to do now is win some games.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

good post vacous, very very on the money

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
stinger
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:good post vacous, very very on the money
yep ...i agree...and i am insulted that the little dipstick reckons that we would do the same thing...we proved in 2002 that we wouldn't ffs...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

QueenC
Club Player

That really depends on which players actually take the field........

We are already down half a list (only two players have not played senior footy this season) and have been for quite some time.

I would be surprised if Neita gets up after re-injuring his knee last week, and Robbo has been on one leg for quite some time.

So yes make no mistake about it, we will be doing our absolute best to try and disguise our game like it is some kind of covert undercover operation to completely suck, for the betterment of our (and probably Richmonds) future :wink: :D !!!

linz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Loser takes all :wink:
I love it. I reckon we should get to this game wearing our Saints scarfs & have a good old laugh at these traditional clubs cheering opposition goals.
Imagine: "O'aLLpInN 4 metre out (2 seconds to go) kicks backwards. Carlto n lose/win by 1 point.

The "Blue Bluster" has certainly degenerated. The Blue Big Boys with Brown Paper bags stuffed with money or the promise of printing firms to Williams & friends have been replaced by drooling incentives from the AFL.

THANK YOU GUVNA!!

Is it possible that a DRAW can get both clubs out of the predicament. If so that's what will happen.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Brewer wrote:It's a shame it's a Foxtel game, I'd really like to see it now but I'm not sure I'd pay to see it...
i will be watching it...will have the same fancination as those tellie shows that show car accidents......
I agree: I think it will be a hoot.

AFL: the only outdoor sport which allows players the chance to bid Open Misere!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

and now the press from AFL

No players have been caught with drugs, drugs in their system or blood or urine tests with drugs.

Ben cousins is a national hero

there are NO TANKS in the AFL, the pigdogs who claim there are TANKS in the AFL are lying pigdogs who have been defeated and our in ROUT.

WE WILL HAVE THE FINAL VICTORY over the great evil pigdogs...CHANNEL 7!!!

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Image

No players have been caught with drugs, drugs in their system or blood or urine tests with drugs.

there are NO TANKS in the AFL, the pigdogs who claim there are TANKS in the AFL are lying pigdogs who have been defeated and our in ROUT.

What's he doing these days? Perhaps there's a job for him as spokesman for the AFL: he'd be a damn sight better than what we've seen lately.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:Image

What's he doing these days? Perhaps there's a job for him as spokesman for the AFL: he'd be a damn sight better than what we've seen lately.
its amazing what plastic surgery can achieve these days...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!