whelan on ball again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

TBH, St DAC, I don't think either should have been reported. The current rules and interpretations are a crock and are destroying what makes AFL great.

But if you read the AFL directive laid out on 'duty of care' - and repeated often last week - I don't see how Whelan got off. That's where I'm coming from.

When you also look at yesterdays rulings I think it's clear why the rules are so ambiguous - it allows them to amply them as they see fit.

No wonder supporters are confused because all consistency and logic have been removed from the decision making.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:TBH, St DAC, I don't think either should have been reported. The current rules and interpretations are a crock and are destroying what makes AFL great.

But if you read the AFL directive laid out on 'duty of care' - and repeated often last week - I don't see how Whelan got off. That's where I'm coming from.

When you also look at yesterdays rulings I think it's clear why the rules are so ambiguous - it allows them to amply them as they see fit.

No wonder supporters are confused because all consistency and logic have been removed from the decision making.
Exactly. Agree with all of the above

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

It's not just us. Freo have been shafted at the tribunal this year (don't laugh ... Johnson's bump wasn't worth 6 weeks if the Collingwood Johnston's was). It's mainly the tribunal decisions that seem inconsistent, yes? I reckon our draw this year was the best for several years; we just haven't been good enough to capitalise on it.

I don't see it as a case of "giving up". Perhaps I'm a bit more pragmatic than you, but IMO railing at issues we won't change is a waste of energy. And I think the Board see it that way as well, so I agree with their decision. But if you are so offended by them then by all means keep your wallet in your pocket, and more power to you. :wink:

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

JD, if your (and Joffa's) point is that the MRP and tribunal couldn't get laid in a brothel with a pocket full of $100 bills, then I completely agree with you. A completely arbitrary set of decisions week by week; and hidden behind mountains of sanctimonious bulltish to boot. They have no credibility at all IMO. But IMO that doesn't translate into "the AFL will shaft St Kilda at every opportunity".

As was once said by someone wiser than I, "Never blame on evil intent what can more easily be explained by incompetence". The MRB and tribunal are the classic cases in point.