Fitness = Skills

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Fitness = Skills

From the few games ive seen this season, in my opinion our fitness levels have a direct correllation with our skills.

Our skills seem pretty good at the start of each game, but as we run and run and play this 'tempo football' our skill seem to diminish.

Maybe its simplistic to think that our skills decrease as we get tired, I think its a fair suggestion and something the coaching and fitness staff definitely need to work on.

Our guys need a big, BIG pre-season if we are to compete with the likes of the eagles and the cats in the 'gut-running' stakes.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I have been saying this for a couple of weeks now. A good example of this is Ralph Calrke the last two weeks. Great for the first half/3 quaters and a noticeable difference in the fourth quaters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What you say is true N1ck..

But our skill level is a bigger issue than that.

We played well enough to have kick 8 in the first quarter...but had some poor passes in that first quarter...when we were not tired.

We also had 4 or 5 kicks out on the full when the kicker had steadied, was not under much pressure and kicked out on the full after getting nowhere near the indeed traget.

I think that there are also those players who continually have poor disposal and those who are up and down with it.

Now Kosi and Joey for example CAN kicker better.....so was ita lack of concentration....

Kosi is normallya beautiful kick...and perhaps most unfair to islote g=him for this trangression.

But for as a unit we too often had poor kicking.

Now yes I think lack of fitness is part of it.......but I think that their is more to it than that.

Lack of natural skil is one.....and confidence another.

ie First quarter roo gets the ball say 30 m out near the bounday...you beauty I think as he runs in and around to improve the angle and obtain an easy shot at goal...only to see him short pass to GTrain who had glass too close in attendance...and roos kick did not allow Gtrain to run onto it...spolied ball and no goal the result.

Now Roo starred...and that error was about his only one for night....and you do not expect players to havea flawless game....but gain asa team our error rate was higher than it need be.

Do we need more skills training....confidence.....or just experience.. or some players with better skills.......or all of the above???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

4:4 in the last quarter.

we played well enough to win, but we missed goals.

IMO I think we didn't play anywhere near our best and yet we ran WCE within a goal and a half with two extra shots.

Not happy, but not totally dissapointed with our form against WCE.

early round games against Hawks, our capitulation against Sydney, WB, collingwood hurt us much more than against WCE.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I think you're right sRs, confidence is another huge issue.

I think its fair to say a player with confidence is usually a far better proposition to utilise his skills.

When you are in the mindframe of 'im 50m out - i can kick this' you are much more focussed on the result than if you are thinking 'jeeze 50m out... just on my range... ill see if i can find a better option coz im not sure if i can make it...'

wildgoose
Club Player

Totally agree, from watching our games this season, I think our skills and fitness need most improvement.

Fitness is quite obvious isn't it? How many final quarters have we actually won in the second half of the season. Our players are not fit enough.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: early round games against Hawks, our capitulation against Sydney, WB, collingwood hurt us much more than against WCE.
Spot on - especially with the fadeouts re Collingwood and the Bulldogs. We should have won both.

If we had we would be in the finals not struggling to get there.

Hawks R1 - well never going to win that, against Sydney, we just played appallingly.

I wont forget the situation where we were in a winning position - should have won, against the filth and the dogs and let it slip.

A bit like the third qtr on Friday night. Everything to play for and stuffed it up badly.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Red
Club Player

I believe fitness is an issue, however on Friday we ran the game out it was the third quarter where we got smashed.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

No coincidence that it is the fittest teams who are playing the best football in 2008.

The game of Australian rules at the highest level has changed ...

Case in point: three teams who didn't play finals in 2006 and will all finish top four:

Kangaroos = huge preseason, fittest they've ever been
Hawthorn = new fitness adviser, fittest they've ever been
Geelong = new fitness adviser, fittest they've ever been

The difference is so fine now that a bigger fitness base can be the difference between finishing 2nd and finishing 8th.

We need to get a LOT fitter.

Part of the reason we struggle is that many of our players don't have the base fitness over 3-4 seasons.

It takes 3-4 years of hard running work to develop an endurance that is capable of gut running in AFL footy.

Riewoldt has had this ability over the last two years ... as good as he was in 04/05, he didn't have the same running ability.

Too many of our players are too bulky and lack the base fitness.

We need to turn this around in the pre-season.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I notice Geelong lose a couple of key players and lose the game- it's not necessarily all about fitness. Quality of players is a important -if you have a team of 18 superfit athletes who are ordinary footballers, you won't win many games, you need a balance of quality, fitness and of course, luck with injuries. Our recruiters need to do some smart recruiting. We definately need a couple of midfielders with burst ability, the ability to accelerate from packs and clearances and carry the ball.