Jamie Charman - A Real Chance To Return To Vic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Jamie Charman - A Real Chance To Return To Vic

Jamie Charman has rejected a three year deal from the Lions. Normally an AFL player who wishes to remain at the club he is at would be thrilled with a three year contract.

Could Charman really want to leave and return back to Melbourne to live with his girlfriend?

I wouldnt be disapointed if StKilda held up a fair amount of money to lure Charman to the Saints.

Anyone else like the thought of having a mid-age ruckman who could be at the club for another 5-8 years.

Otherwise we could look at securing Brendon Lade, at 30 years of age he 'could' have another 3 years in him but Port are only willing to give him 1. He wants 2.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I would go for both of them.

Surely we could get one of them.

Who could we offer to BL or PA for them?

The Clarkes?

IM a huge fan of X, id hate to see him go...

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Charman would also be a VERY handy pick up... Is his girlfriend from Melbourne?? Because he is definitely not! Remember that he was picked up under that 50km radius from Brisbane pick....

The Saints are coming!
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Yeah, have heard the same thing re: Charman. I believe that the only thing keeping him from coming to Melbourne is that he has a lucrative health & beauty resort / establishment.

Otherwise he would certainly be worth pursuing. Has that toughness and competitiveness that we certainly would welcome.

saintm
Club Player

n1ck wrote:
The Clarkes?

Didn't X re-sign around the same time as the two Nicks??

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the world is from lions players that im friends with that charman is not going anywhere...he has a day-spa business in brisbane and is certainly setting his future up for a long stay in brisbane

in addition to this the lions would demand the kitchen sink...and its something i personally would not pay as if gardiner was to come back and with the progress of van rehhnan (spelling) and a pinch hitting kosi we have more than enough ruck options

we need quality midfielders or to develop out own through the draft...we dont need more tall players

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Do we need a 'par' ruckman that badly?

I'd give a fair bit for Lade or Cox, but they can keep the rest.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Do we need a 'par' ruckman that badly?

Charman is a STAR...He has carried and grown as the number one ruckman in Brisbane for a while.

He is just about past that 'maturing' stage and will only get better and better.

This is the type of bloke we need to get. This is the type of player you lure with a five year contract.

I would trade our first pick in a flash.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Charman's stats are about the same as Kosi's.

He is over-rated and his value is over-inflated.

Plus he is very injury-prone, and averages 14 games per season over the past 4 years.

So we would be throwing away a potential 250-game classy midifielder for an under-sized 26-year old ruckman who is injury prone and would be lucky to play 50 games for the club.

Great move :roll:

A ruckman is not going to be the difference between St Kilda winning and losing a premiership ... never has, never will.

A fit list with a couple more midfielders will do wonders ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Charman won't leave, and I don't know how he has rejected a contract offer already when he said that he doesn't want to deal with that until the season is over.

We should definitely make a play for Lade. I would offer our second pick for him. He is the best tap ruckman in the competition and gives a bit around the ground. Still has at least three years left.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Charman's stats are about the same as Kosi's.

He is over-rated and his value is over-inflated.

Plus he is very injury-prone, and averages 14 games per season over the past 4 years.

So we would be throwing away a potential 250-game classy midifielder for an under-sized 26-year old ruckman who is injury prone and would be lucky to play 50 games for the club.

Great move :roll:

A ruckman is not going to be the difference between St Kilda winning and losing a premiership ... never has, never will.

A fit list with a couple more midfielders will do wonders ...

That is one of the worst post I have every read.

There's no denying that a RUCKMAN IS THE DIFFERENCE between St Kilda winning a premiership and just finsihing around the mark (ie 3rd, 4th and 8th). Eevryone wants extra midfielders.....The root cause of the problem is the lack of talented ruckman at the club.

Draft a 250 midfielder? That player wont start influencing games until he has played over 70 games.

Injury prone? Comon, whats this crap? What ruckman hasnt had injuries?
Eevn if you just look at our list THIS YEAR - M Clarke, Koschitzke, Brooks, Gardiner.

Charman is a definite TALENT. He is only 25 (not 26) and about to reach his PRIME.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:There's no denying that a RUCKMAN IS THE DIFFERENCE between St Kilda winning a premiership and just finsihing around the mark (ie 3rd, 4th and 8th). Eevryone wants extra midfielders.....The root cause of the problem is the lack of talented ruckman at the club.
Neither you or I can prove that and it is a ridiculous claim to make. We have beaten every team in every circumstance with average ruckmen over the last 3 years.

St Kilda won the clearances in 2005 and are 4th in 2007.

Clearly, we managed to move the ball away from the stoppages without the help of a dominant ruckman.

There are TWO games in the past three years where a dominant ruckman may have made a difference to the result because we got smashed in the clearances.

One was the 2005 Preliminary Final, and the other was Round 7 against the Cats last year.
Spinner wrote:Draft a 250 midfielder? That player wont start influencing games until he has played over 70 games.
Tell that to Nick Dal Santo, Marc Murphy, Joel Selwood, Danyle Pearce, Brock McLean, Nathan Jones, Chris Knights et. al.

A midfielder with a first round pick has a definite impact after 15-20 games.
Spinner wrote:Injury prone? Comon, whats this crap? What ruckman hasnt had injuries?
Eevn if you just look at our list THIS YEAR - M Clarke, Koschitzke, Brooks, Gardiner.
It's not crap.

In 2004, Charman managed 15/25 matches
In 2005, he managed 9/22 matches
In 2006, he managed 16/22 matches
In 2007, he managed 17/22 matches.

That's 26 matches missed through injury and suspension.

In that period, Brendon Lade has missed 3 games.
In that period, Dean Cox has missed 9 games.
In that period, Darren Jolly has missed 1 game.

St Kilda has a wealth of injury prone ruckmen -- Kosi, M. Clarke and Gardiner.

We hardly need another who has had various shoulder, back, hamstring and knee problems in his short career.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

His shoulder is the biggest worry, the rest of his body seems fine.

Carpe Diem
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Spinner wrote:There's no denying that a RUCKMAN IS THE DIFFERENCE between St Kilda winning a premiership and just finsihing around the mark (ie 3rd, 4th and 8th). Eevryone wants extra midfielders.....The root cause of the problem is the lack of talented ruckman at the club.
Neither you or I can prove that and it is a ridiculous claim to make. We have beaten every team in every circumstance with average ruckmen over the last 3 years.

St Kilda won the clearances in 2005 and are 4th in 2007.

Clearly, we managed to move the ball away from the stoppages without the help of a dominant ruckman.

There are TWO games in the past three years where a dominant ruckman may have made a difference to the result because we got smashed in the clearances.

One was the 2005 Preliminary Final, and the other was Round 7 against the Cats last year.
Spinner wrote:Draft a 250 midfielder? That player wont start influencing games until he has played over 70 games.
Tell that to Nick Dal Santo, Marc Murphy, Joel Selwood, Danyle Pearce, Brock McLean, Nathan Jones, Chris Knights et. al.

A midfielder with a first round pick has a definite impact after 15-20 games.
Spinner wrote:Injury prone? Comon, whats this crap? What ruckman hasnt had injuries?
It's not crap.

In 2004, Charman managed 15/25 matches
In 2005, he managed 9/22 matches
In 2006, he managed 16/22 matches
In 2007, he managed 17/22 matches.

That's 26 matches missed through injury and suspension.

In that period, Brendon Lade has missed 3 games.
In that period, Dean Cox has missed 9 games.
In that period, Darren Jolly has missed 1 game.

St Kilda has a wealth of injury prone ruckmen -- Kosi, M. Clarke and Gardiner.

We hardly need another who has had various shoulder, back, hamstring and knee problems in his short career.

Man, thats crap. Thinking that a first year midfielder will have more impact than a mature RUCKMAN of the talent of Charman.

You pretty much picked one name out of each of the last 6 drafts.....IT IS very rare for such a player to make that sort of impact. Look at Armitage for example. He hasnt contributed to the senior team AL ALL. Not because he is useless, not because he dosnt have talent...BUT because it is HIS FIRST YEAR OF AFL FOOTBALL. It takes 3 years for the best of players to start making an impact. PERIOD.

Yeh I like going into the draft with a high pick too but sometimes quality players need to be traded with quality draft picks. aka GEELONG and OTTENS. Look at the difference now.

Lennon
Club Player

I'm a big fan of Charman. M. Clarke and Gardiner should go at seasons end, IMO. We need a good ruckman to back Kosi up.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I never stated anywhere that a first-year midfielder would have more impact than Charman next year.

That would be crazy.

What I do believe is that generally midfielders taken with the top picks will have an impact within 15-20 matches.

Marc Murphy
Scott Pendlebury
Grant Birchall
Shannon Hurn
Nathan Jones
Andrew Swallow
Clint Batram

All players from the ONE draft (2005) who made a significant contribution to their team in their first 2 seasons.

How does this relate to Charman?

In the long-term ... i.e. 2008-10, I believe St Kilda's interest is best served by adding to our midfield depth, developing more running players and becoming quicker and more attacking as a side.

In drafting Charman, you are sacrificing a critical chance to continue building the club for long-term success.

I am of the view that you NEVER, EVER trade away a first round draft pick.

Especially not for a ruckman who is injury prone.

Why would St Kilda want another injury prone player?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote: I am of the view that you NEVER, EVER trade away a first round draft pick.

Especially not for a ruckman who is injury prone.

Why would St Kilda want another injury prone player?

Well that is a very naive view. Never ever? Whatever. Thats a very simplistic viewpoint to have.

And he's not injury prone....Man that line gets thown around way too often. Give it up.

Can you name his injuries off the top of your head? Or do you make the assumption that he is injury prone by looking at your bulls*** stats.

EVERY PLAYER HAS INJURIES.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Im interested to know how hes 'undersized' too..

Charman is a giant.

You only need to see him standing next to Gehrig to see how big he is.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:Im interested to know how hes 'undersized' too..
He's short for a ruckman. He's 196cm or thereabouts. What he lacks in height though he makes up for in other ways. He's a beast. If he becomes available, I want him. But I'd rather not give up a top-10 pick to get him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Im interested to know how hes 'undersized' too..

Charman is a giant.

You only need to see him standing next to Gehrig to see how big he is.

197cm. But gives nothing away in the RUCK.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

So, hes just about as tall as Kosi, but bigger body, stronger physically, has a great leap, very mobile, good hands, gets alot of the ball and can kick goals.

Why wouldnt we want him?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: There's no denying that a RUCKMAN IS THE DIFFERENCE between St Kilda winning a premiership and just finsihing around the mark (ie 3rd, 4th and 8th).
I'd deny it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Move heaven and earth to get him - but not a first round pick.

2nd round pick for him + a player.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Do we need a 'par' ruckman that badly?

I agree with RogerFox, would be wrapped to get Lade (who wouldn't :wink: ), not fussed on Charman.

The ruckman we really need to sign is Kosi.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:I would go for both of them.

Surely we could get one of them.

Who could we offer to BL or PA for them?

The Clarkes?

x for a 30 year old ruckman................ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.