McQualter: Stand up and be counted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

McQualter: Stand up and be counted

Cops a lot of stick and clearly isn't AFL standard yet, but he appears to be the best midfielder we've got not in our current 22.

A wonderfully decorated junior, was a real talent in his younger years. There is no reason why he can't do it again, but he needs AFL game time to aid in his dissapointingly slow development.

With no Baker, Harvey and Attard, and given RL's reluctance to re-introduce Andrew Thompson (I'd rather him for the next few weeks but it looks a long s***), you'd suspect he's in line for a recall this week. Hopefully ahead of CJ, anyway.

He's now 21, and you'd say whilst his spot is assured for at least another 12 months, he needs to take every opportunity he gets and grab it with both hands.

I'm hoping RL picks him this week and asks him to dig as deep as he possibly can, and that should he impress, and the results go our way, he'll get to play in a finals match.

Let's hope it's not the only one he plays with us.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

After his first game against WCE in the pressure cooker of Subi a few years ago - which was a cracker (i think he had 7 tackles) - he hasnt really shown too much.
Like you said, a very, very highly rated youngster - captained every junior side he played for - and its about time he showed us what he could do. We need him to stand up now.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I do like him and for me he is a goer, but my problem is that he does stand up and no one sees him...

I feel he is just a bit too small and still needs to gain those extra kilos IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure why the kid wouldn't be champing at the bit to play for a coach like Ross.

However, I've noticed that the more successful clubs seem to have more patience with developing players, perhaps we give up on them too easily ?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I do like him and for me he is a goer, but my problem is that he does stand up and no one sees him...

I feel he is just a bit too small and still needs to gain those extra kilos IMO
Agree.

Nup sorry for mine hes to small, slow AND has absolutely no penetration in his kicking.

Ask yourself - Does St Kilda require ANOTHER workmnalike mid who doesnt kick goals?

Or do we need someone of a Priddies...even Roza?? ilk ..

I would more than happy be wrong but havent seen anything yet from mini.

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

NOT

GOOD

ENOUGH

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

McQualter will STAR. No doubt.

Is it a coincidence that we have been a strong team playing finals with players like Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo, Luke Ball & Robert Harvey???

Always a lot harder to crack into a STRONG midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:McQualter will STAR. No doubt.

Is it a coincidence that we have been a strong team playing finals with players like Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo, Luke Ball & Robert Harvey???

I find that hard to see when he isnt even a star at the Scorps in amuch lesser standard.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Where is Mini at in comparison to Armitage, Eddy and Jones? Jones seems to be ahead of him, and Eddy is going alright for a rookie, Armo does well in scrops.

Carpe Diem
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I find that hard to see when he isnt even a star at the Scorps in amuch lesser standard.

plugger. You dont seem to rate anyone at the scorps.....Why is that?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well that is not exactually true. If the you are first or second year players I dont mind them but if the are 3rd year or more there must be areason they are not in our best side and that is usually because they are not good enough. By the way Mini may be alright but he will never be a star as 95% of players arent.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well that is not exactually true. If the you are first or second year players I dont mind them but if the are 3rd year or more there must be areason they are not in our best side and that is usually because they are not good enough. By the way Mini may be alright but he will never be a star as 95% of players arent.

Would you agree that a players talent in s*** side gets accelerated than when trying to break into a great team?

That is the norm. Players in lower teams get chances for AFL experience much quicker that players in strong sides. Selwood and co being the exceptions.

Therefore wouldnt your "once your a third year player....." technique of rating players be void because the development timeline for different players in different teams can vary so significantly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not when we were a crap side earlier in the year.

Would you agree that a players talent in s*** side gets accelerated than when trying to break into a great team?

That is the norm. Players in lower teams get chances for AFL experience much quicker that players in strong sides. Selwood and co being the exceptions.

Therefore wouldnt your "once your a third year player....." technique of rating players be void because the development timeline for different players in different teams can vary so significantly.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Stand up and be counted..among the players to be delisted/traded at seasons end.

I hope he delivers more slow, useless plays in 2008! Can't wait to see him get caught holding the ball more often than not because he's not up to AFL standard.

Persist with bad players!

Oh but he won the best and fairest in the Sunshine under 12s, certainly he should be as good as Harvey.