Why can't we draft guys like Priddis?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We tried. Clint Jones was supposed to be our gun mature recruit, but unfortunately our recruiters forgot that you need to be able to kick.

On Priddis, he is a handy player but is becoming extremely over rated. Most of his possessions are meaningless and he ended with 10 clangers last night. He usually is standing still when he receives the ball and just gives it off sideways to someone in the same situation as he is. He doesn't get constructive disposals.
we need players who can RUN AND CARRY/break lines
I think we've got one in Geary. He's an outside player, but has very good skills, good pace, takes the opposition on and is creative going forward. IMO a cross between Joey and Fiora.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:We tried. Clint Jones was supposed to be our gun .
1/ I am not sure whether you read the earlier posts,,,,,but it detailed how Priddis wasa flawed player who has been developed over time......and that while better still has flaws. Give the club some TIME to improve him...TIME that Priddis has had.

2/ Who said he was recruited to bea "gun"????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:1/ I am not sure whether you read the earlier posts,,,,,but it detailed how Priddis wasa flawed player who has been developed over time......and that while better still has flaws. Give the club some TIME to improve him...TIME that Priddis has had.
I don't want to get into another argument about Jones, but Priddis is about two years younger than Jones and while Priddis' disposal is a weakness, it is nowhere near as bad as Jones'. Priddis is younger, performed better in the WAFL and is a more rounded player than Jones. You don't go from being a complete liability at 23 to a good player at 25 if you've been playing footy since you were 10. Jones is a faster McGough who fumbles the ball more and is a slightly worse kick. And Jones doesn't appear to be any better now compared to how he was in the intra-club match.

Even when listening to the Casey game today, whenever Jones gets the footy you will always here something like "But it's a poor kick and is intercepted by the opposition", "It wasn't a smart option and they're in a bit of trouble now."

Anyway, this will be my last post in this thread. People know my views on Jones and I don't need to go over it anymore.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Theres no point haggling over GOP's,they wont get us where we want to be..

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
westcoastwizard
Club Player

I think Priddis is a gun hes no Ben Cousins Kerr or Chris Judd but he works hard very hard and runs very hard I dont care if he his a bit slow. You can see him putting int the work and running hard and its fantastic to watch.

Some one made the comment he was average. Lets look at his stats

He had 36 touches of which 18 were CONTESTED which means he went in put his head over the ball and WON it him self. He won 12 clearences and kicked a goal and had 12 handball receives.

Im glad everyone else thought he was average its fine by us we are stoked with his work ethic and what he brings to the team.

Its the same way everyone thought the big no 20 DEAN COX was too slow and average too but we all know how that turned out.

woooosaints
Club Player

priddis was 1st in the sandover medal last year clint jones was 3rd

my les foote
Club Player

Sick of these posts.

Why didn't the eagles draft someone like Sam Fisher?
Why couldn't they draft someone like Montagna?
Why didn't they draft Sam Gilbert?

Every time we lose a game there was someone we should have drafted.

Win it for HIM!
my les foote
Club Player

westcoastwizard wrote:I think Priddis is a gun hes no Ben Cousins Kerr or Chris Judd but he works hard very hard and runs very hard I dont care if he his a bit slow. You can see him putting int the work and running hard and its fantastic to watch.

He had 36 touches of which 18 were CONTESTED which means he went in put his head over the ball and WON it him self. He won 12 clearences and kicked a goal and had 12 handball receives.

Im glad everyone else thought he was average its fine by us we are stoked with his work ethic and what he brings to the team.

Its the same way everyone thought the big no 20 DEAN COX was too slow and average too but we all know how that turned out.
You're just gloating now. Time to go

Win it for HIM!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

I don't want to get into another argument about Jones, but Priddis is about two years younger than Jones and while Priddis' disposal is a weakness, it is nowhere near as bad as Jones'. .
Jones is actually 1 year and 1 month older.

My point is that it is FIRST year at the club.......and that players coming to the club need to be DEVELOPED.

Luckilly for the Saints you were not in charge of the list when Loewe first joined us...as he was a DREADFUL kick...and indeed remained so in his early seniors years. Loewe early on had dreadful judgement and his plaing on with SUICIDE handballs was infamous...and so obvious that opposition players would just wait behind Loewe when he marked.....as they knew that he had no faith in his kicking and would handball without vision often allowing them an easy tackle of the receiver. Loewe worked on both aspects of his game.

Expecting instant success...and particularly from rokies is an unrealistic expectation.

Priddis is an example ofa rokie that was not instnatly succesful and who has IMPROVED through development.

CJ may not make it.....but the central them is that the Saints must develop players...that this is not done in one pre-season.......and that under GT their was a systematic failure to build for the future and address upcoming weaknesses/retirements.

We are at last seeing this being done but the REALITY is that sucha player STREAM takes TIME to have the players become AFL REGULARS.Attard exceeded expections...and through DEVELOPMENT will get BETTER.

CJ will get BETTER...but whether this will be good enough is unknown.

Van Rehan will get BETTER......and is avery good chance in say TWO year to start playing senior football (any earlier would be because we are failing in our ruck division rather that Van Reehan being given the development that he requires).

Geary and Eddie show great promise.

Will ALL the rookies make it??? that I doubt.....but it would seem that we will get 2 or more from the 2007 crop.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Priddis is a freakish ball-magnet and always has been. it's not like recruiters didn't know who he was, teams just didn't want to use a draft pick on a player who couldn't run and couldn't kick. Even West Coast didn't think him worthy of a draft pick.

JB mentioned Priddis by name earlier in the year when discussing the difficulty of getting interstate players onto the rookie list. He wanted to stay in WA, and staying in WA was better for him as a player. It meant West Coast could work with him while he remained with his WAFL club. He wouldn't have been in that situation if the Saints had taken him.

Give credit to Priddis for working hard and West Coast for getting him to the level he is today. West Coast have done an excellent job of recruiting and developing players in recent years.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

woooosaints wrote:priddis was 1st in the sandover medal last year clint jones was 3rd
We should've drafted the bloke who was 2nd :wink:

Carpe Diem
Falchoon
Club Player

what's the difference between Priddis and Brett Moyle?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Falchoon wrote:what's the difference between Priddis and Brett Moyle?
priddis never got a really bad corky that ruined his career

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

Give credit to Priddis for working hard and West Coast for getting him to the level he is today. West Coast have done an excellent job of recruiting and developing players in recent years.
Indeed

kalsaint
Club Player

westcoastwizard wrote:I think Priddis is a gun hes no Ben Cousins Kerr or Chris Judd but he works hard very hard and runs very hard I dont care if he his a bit slow. You can see him putting int the work and running hard and its fantastic to watch.

Yeah
I admire Priddis. He has become pretty handy for you this year and if not checked will kick goals. This is something missing at St. Kilda, ie midfielders kicking up to 40% of the team's goals.

Cox is also pretty handy but keep in mind that a few years back when Gardy was the #1 ruck, Cox was struggling against those who tended to challenge his body in the ruck. He wasn't overly effective then.

A rule change and he became the best in the league. He obviously worked hard to achieve this as the rule change alone was not the reason he is a star today. His strength is his versatility and mobility for his size. His work ethic around the ground is what I believe makes the man.

At Saintland I believe that we have a history of bringing in rucks for the centre ground plays who dont contribute around the ground. They therefore dont provide value IMO and therefore a midfielder would be a better option for us. Lets see if Gardy can change my thoughts on this in 2008.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Falchoon wrote:what's the difference between Priddis and Brett Moyle?
priddis never got a really bad corky that ruined his career

Still can't get over he was out for 8 weeks? with a corky.

congorozides
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:
I don't think that any club spends more on player development than West Coast do
Sorry LynchBeast, but I can't resist the temptation.

Is it true that your Player Development program is sponsored?

The Coffin Cheaters Motor Cycle Club?
I was at the game on Friday and watched intently. That Priddis guy is anexcellent player. really good. I agree it can take 3 years to get to AFL standard (look at Montagna dn Sam Fischer) but Mcqualtar is a disappointment.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:
woooosaints wrote:priddis was 1st in the sandover medal last year clint jones was 3rd
We should've drafted the bloke who was 2nd :wink:
dunno daneil bandy may be a bit over the hill :wink:
Top 10 Vote Getters

Matt Priddis (Subiaco) 58
Daniel Bandy (Claremont) 42
Clint Jones (South Fremantle) 32
Allistair Pickett (Subiaco) 31
Anthony Jones (Claremont) 30
Craig Wulff (East Perth) 29
Shane Beros (Swan Districts) 28
Andrew Siegert (South Fremantle)* 26
Adam Lange (Swan Districts) 25
Mark LeCras (West Perth) 25

my feel is we gotta start drafting natural footy players not just blokes who can run fast !
i would rather a kid who could hit roo on the cest 9/10 times then a bloke who could run as fast as light but kick it over roos head !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: i would rather a kid who could hit roo on the cest 9/10 times then a bloke who could run as fast as light but kick it over roos head !!
skill > pace.

we have beaten the paciest sides over the years with > skill.

bartel, lenny, kerr not pacy players but very damaging for their respective sides.

even harvey has no pace but runs through pack like a knife through warm butter.

as for genuine pace and ball skills, gram and fiora (except fiora in front of goals :()

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Iratedebate
Club Player

Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2007 11:11pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We tried. Clint Jones was supposed to be our gun mature recruit, but unfortunately our recruiters forgot that you need to be able to kick.

On Priddis, he is a handy player but is becoming extremely over rated. Most of his possessions are meaningless and he ended with 10 clangers last night. He usually is standing still when he receives the ball and just gives it off sideways to someone in the same situation as he is. He doesn't get constructive disposals
Its amazing how quick you are to judge CJ, a guy in his first season at an AFL club who we took a punt on as a rookie and yet you constantly carry on about Barry Brooks and how good he will be. Brooks (picks 6 & 31) has cost us a hell of alot more than CJ ever will, and the difference is that at least CJ will work his arse off to get the most out of his ability. Brooks on the other hand should count himself very fortunate to still be on our list considering he has been in the AFL system since the 2001 National draft and shown absolutely nothing. Oh i forgot you are one of the few on here who got extremely excited over his overrated performance against a severely depleted Bris last year. If you are going to have a crack at a guy who is in his first yr in the system, and one that we only used a rookie selection on, then maybe you shouldn't go overboard raving about a guy who is 198cm, cost us 2 valuable draft picks and has a heart like a split pea

woooosaints
Club Player

Iratedebate wrote:
Posted: Sat 25 Aug 2007 11:11pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Priddis, he is a handy player but is becoming extremely over rated. Most of his possessions are meaningless and he ended with 10 clangers last night. He usually is standing still when he receives the ball and just gives it off sideways to someone in the same situation as he is. He doesn't get constructive disposals
Its amazing how quick you are to judge CJ, a guy in his first season at an AFL club who we took a punt on as a rookie and yet you constantly carry on about Barry Brooks and how good he will be. Brooks (picks 6 & 31) has cost us a hell of alot more than CJ ever will, and the difference is that at least CJ will work his arse off to get the most out of his ability. Brooks on the other hand should count himself very fortunate to still be on our list considering he has been in the AFL system since the 2001 National draft and shown absolutely nothing. Oh i forgot you are one of the few on here who got extremely excited over his overrated performance against a severely depleted Bris last year. If you are going to have a crack at a guy who is in his first yr in the system, and one that we only used a rookie selection on, then maybe you shouldn't go overboard raving about a guy who is 198cm, cost us 2 valuable draft picks and has a heart like a split pea
id love for brooks to be given more oppurunity but you are right in saying about clint jones the kid cost us nothing he does have ability he came 3rd in the sandover medal which is no easy feat i think in 2 seasons he will become a regular player

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

cj is a GOP
brooks is a dud

GOP>DUD

a team can carry a GOP as a back up for injury or form we have for too long carried DUDS this is whats gotta stop !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/