Why can't we draft guys like Priddis?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we draft guys like Priddis?

Instead of guys like McQualter, Raymond, Sweeney

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
S.A Saint
Club Player

good question :cry:

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Because your club is too broke to

1. identify enough talent to make an informed choice

2. properly develop the player once he gets to the club

This Priddis you watched last night is so far ahead of where he was in 2005 (the year he was rookie listed) that its ridiculous to think that its just luck that we have him.

A huge amount of time & money is spent on guys like him (And Priddis/Cox/Lynch/LeCras ect) to get them to AFL quality that i just don't think that the Saints have

I don't think that any club spends more on player development than West Coast do

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the eagles have much more $$$ to throw at recruiting and good on them for doing so in the end...

plus they have the wafl with only one other team looking at what actually happens week in week out

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The money is an issue, but also is the ability of West Coast to play their young players at a host of different WAFL clubs.

For example .... just say you have 3 young ruckmen on your list .... they won't all get a regular game at VFL level because there is only one club .... one of them will have to play in the VFL Reserves ....

That plays a big part.

Saints have doubled their recruiting budget this year, and have added 2 player development coaches, so hopefully we start to see some results.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:
I don't think that any club spends more on player development than West Coast do
Sorry LynchBeast, but I can't resist the temptation.

Is it true that your Player Development program is sponsored?

The Coffin Cheaters Motor Cycle Club?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What's next, the corrupt AFLmmunists decide to collect equal funds from teams, do independent recruiting and allocate players to teams themselves?

If that happened, i'd be out the door in a second.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:

Hahahahaha

That joke never gets old

:roll:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well its amazing how good our skills were with these players in previous games this year, and in previous years.

also player development has a lot to do with culture, attitude and secondary issues.

leigh matthews had what was considered a trash list and made it competitive.

neil craig took over a list considered too old, bad talent and made it competitive.

nothing wrong with mcqualter - outstanding junior

nothing wrong with brooks - outstanding junior

its up to the club and the management to get the best out of them.

as for blaming the previous admin, well they may made mistakes, but its about the new admin now and they have had a year.

we have also changed the way we play over hte last few months also.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
suss
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:

Hahahahaha

That joke never gets old
Just before you get ahead of yourself chief just remeber you share your state with one other team - and they're a rabble.

As such you have 50,000 odd members, unlimited wealth and resources at your disposal.

We share our our state with 9 other teams and to be perfectly honest I'd rather barrack for Carlton, the roos, Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong, North, Hawthorn, Essendon or the dogs before a team with no history that's full of drug taking scum bags.

No f*** off back to the cave you crawled out off...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:

Hahahahaha

That joke never gets old

Yeah maybe.

It's really interesting. My WA cousin (a mad Eagle supporter) cannot believe that we over here in the east are still talking about the 'drug culture' issue that was exposed at WCE this year. He tells me that it is a 'non-issue' in WA and that Benny-boy is back to being the revered legend he was prior to his non-admission.

As much as I try and explain to him that I (and I believe many if most reasonable people over here) cannot accept
1. his behaviour
2. his apparent unwillingness to apologize for his behaviour
3. the apparent sweeping under the carpet by the WCE

and I/we therefore hold both Benny-boy and your Club administration in absolute contempt over this issue.

And when we hear comments reported from Dean Cox (part of the WCE Leadership group that accepted Benny-boy back) saying he wouldn't 'dob-in' any teammate he knew was transgressing, I/we wonder if the 'disease' is so ingrained in your Club as to make it impossible to be ever rid of?

As I posted in another thread, when you accept the money, plaudits and revered status of an adoring public , IMHO you are also required to have some responsibility for your actions. Knowing that young and impressionable people will idolize your every move and wish to emulate you, is it acceptable to behave in the fashion that Benny-boy, Kerr, Fletcher, Gardiner etc have?

Yes, everyone is entitled to make mistakes and as long as the person who makes the mistake is remorseful and tries not to repeat those mistakes, then they are entitled to be forgiven.

BUT when you show no remorse and continue to behave in an unacceptable manner, as Benny-boy did (and maybe still is?) why should I/we have any respect for him or the Club that continues to turn a 'blind eye' to it in the name of winning? And her's the real problem. Neither Benny-boy nor the WCE give a rat's about what you or I care about. By 45,000 of you buying memberships and reserved seats, teh admin knows they are financially secure and so what if they upset a few people along the way. There are always more on the waiting list. Who runs the WCE? All we ever hear over here is Dalton Doublespeak, the spin doctor, who talks out the side of his mouth like a used-car salesman and we all know how trustworthy they are.

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned neanderthal, but I know i'd rather my sons and nieces were out on the town with Chris Judd than with Benny-boy or Kerr.

Sorry to take it out on you LynchBeast and to westcoastwizard on another thread, but I am so angry and bitter about the way you guys in Perth have been 'conned' by these 'scumbags', and have become 'true believers' in the tripe they serve you with.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:Because your club is too broke to

This Priddis you watched last night is so far ahead of where he was in 2005 (the year he was rookie listed) that its ridiculous to think that its just luck that we have him.

A huge amount of time & money is spent on guys like him (And Priddis/Cox/Lynch/LeCras ect) to get them to AFL quality that i just don't think that the Saints have

I think that there is a clear point hear....that rookies need to be developed and that it takes TIME.

While Attard has delivered value in his first year...he will get better...

In TWO years time we may well be seeing some good senior output from some of Eddie, Geary and Van Reehan..

Then thete is Clint Jones who many have hung out to dry.....GIVE him another year of skill and development coaching to see if he can improve before you puta line through his name.

So to answer the question...why can't we draft guys like Priddis? Maybe we already have.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
DK27
Club Player

Our recruiting at St Kilda has been pretty average I think. To me it appears that we have been picking players for a hard, contested, old Brisbane of 2003 style game. Winning the contested ball being all important. The theory being it doesn't matter how fast the opposition is if they don't have the ball. You must have good ruckmen to play this style to get first use of the ball. We don't. All along West Coast, Port Adelaide and a few others have not recruited anyone who can't run, tackle and kick well. That is why Priddis was a rookie for so long. His disposal is average and he is slow. Purely a backup and when they have a full list he won't get a game. He had 30 touches and didn't really hurt us with his possessions. Cousins on the other hand killed us in the second half with 15 odd touches. Quality versus quantity. Priddis was a good match up for a slow St Kilda midfield. Against Port Adelaide the Burgoynes, Boak and Pierce would run away from him.

In the last draft we got the supposed third best midfielder available after Boak and Selwood. Those guys will be champions. Armitage is not that quick and very left sided. He had a mature body when recruited which is an indication that he won't improve from time in the gym. From what I have seen of Howard, he is a good bet for the future. Can run, jump, has quick hands so with body size and the confidence that brings should turn into the type of player we need.

McGough, Birss, McQualter were all the wrong type of player to recruit. The modern game, played on dry grounds does not suit these guys. Armitage is a bit the same but could still develop into a solid player with lots of hard work. Voss and Thompson playing for the Scorpions is a symptom of this also. Too slow. C. Jones and Attard getting games purely based on pace and effort is also a sign. They may not be able to kick but at least they make it to the contest.

We have Ball, Goddard and Hayes as one paced mids so we need to balance this with some pace. Gram, Montagna, Fiora and the Clarke brothers are important to our structure as they bring run to the side.

Anyway, I am wandering off topic. We need to recruit more run. One touch kids who can tackle and kick to a target. When we recruited Montagna he was skinny, didn't tackle but could run a kick well. It took 3 years for him to turn into a consistent player. We need a few more like him from later in the draft. No rejects. Turn over kids until a few stand up.

Cheers

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Mcqualter.....argh what a laughable hack.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Mcqualter.....argh what a laughable hack.
maybe in your opinion but at the time u16 state captain, u18 state captain, outstanding junior midfielder, easily considered a high first round pick and top 10 pick.

i guess every junior coach along the way misjudged him as well...

SHUT UP KRIME!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

There's a million stories of junior level champions turning out to be duds at the elite level.

The evidence pre-draft suggested he would be a good pickup...but man....IS HE CRAP!! There's a lot of luck in drafting and Mcqualter has turned out to be zero value to the saints.

Now i'm sure he can't be traded at the end of the year because he's on a 10 year contract or something.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Mcqualter.....argh what a laughable hack.
Has played more games of AFL than you sunshine

In fact if we are going the sledge..laughable is how I'd describe a fair percentage of your posts

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well McQualter may not make it, but the same calls were made about montagna, maguire, even reiwoldt at various times.

if McQualter doesn't make it, well thats that, but there is little to doubt that a fair few coaches thought he was a bit of quality on the way up

SHUT UP KRIME!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Has played more games of AFL than you sunshine
That's not relevant.

Mcqualter is terrible. You people would rather keep players like him on the list and not win grand finals and keep on whinging how poor old stkilda can never win a flag.

This is a big reason we won't go anywhere while teams like West Coast will avoid duds like Mcqualter and Raph clarke then keep on experiencing success when their time comes.

Read this thread
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=34908
Its time we faced facts - we simply have some players when the heat is on who dont have the polish and in some cases poise to deliver the football.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

[quote="brown-coat"]

Read this thread
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=34908

/quote]

no thanks...i don't read crap posted by that moron.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Why can't we draft guys like Priddis?

dcstkfc wrote:Instead of guys like McQualter, Raymond, Sweeney

We could have had him insted of Dylan Pfitzner on the Rookie List :shock: :shock:

1000 posts :D :o

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Another thing is we will have a new senior recruiter who will have a "different eye" for players, so we shouldn't end up with the type of players that JB liked that struggle to rise above GOP.

Of course JB has had his successes and they are well documented but it's the other players that determine where a team will end up and we have too many that are deficient..........

I'm looking forward to the off season list changing,i hope we dont waste any opportunities,i'd prefer to be looking forward to the finals but we are not quite good enough.......

The more things change the more they stay the same
SirDog
Club Player

Mabye other club supporters on other forums are asking "Why cant we draft guys like Riewoldt?"

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:Because your club is too broke to

Spot On.

Great post. Amazingly Honest.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:Our recruiting at St Kilda has been pretty average I think. To me it appears that we have been picking players for a hard, contested, old Brisbane of 2003 style game. Winning the contested ball being all important. The theory being it doesn't matter how fast the opposition is if they don't have the ball. You must have good ruckmen to play this style to get first use of the ball. We don't. All along West Coast, Port Adelaide and a few others have not recruited anyone who can't run, tackle and kick well.

That is why Priddis was a rookie for so long. His disposal is average and he is slow. Purely a backup and when they have a full list he won't get a game. He had 30 touches and didn't really hurt us with his possessions. Cousins on the other hand killed us in the second half with 15 odd touches. Quality versus quantity. Priddis was a good match up for a slow St Kilda midfield. Against Port Adelaide the Burgoynes, Boak and Pierce would run away from him.

In the last draft we got the supposed third best midfielder available after Boak and Selwood. Those guys will be champions. Armitage is not that quick and very left sided. He had a mature body when recruited which is an indication that he won't improve from time in the gym. From what I have seen of Howard, he is a good bet for the future. Can run, jump, has quick hands so with body size and the confidence that brings should turn into the type of player we need.

McGough, Birss, McQualter were all the wrong type of player to recruit. The modern game, played on dry grounds does not suit these guys. Armitage is a bit the same but could still develop into a solid player with lots of hard work. Voss and Thompson playing for the Scorpions is a symptom of this also. Too slow. C. Jones and Attard getting games purely based on pace and effort is also a sign. They may not be able to kick but at least they make it to the contest.

We have Ball, Goddard and Hayes as one paced mids so we need to balance this with some pace. Gram, Montagna, Fiora and the Clarke brothers are important to our structure as they bring run to the side.

Anyway, I am wandering off topic. We need to recruit more run. One touch kids who can tackle and kick to a target. When we recruited Montagna he was skinny, didn't tackle but could run a kick well. It took 3 years for him to turn into a consistent player. We need a few more like him from later in the draft. No rejects. Turn over kids until a few stand up.

Cheers
One of the best posts in a long time and pretty much how I see it too.

Mqualter, Raymond, Sweeney......and soon Howard who we are told is an athlete learning the caper... :shock: are NOT IMO the types of player we need to go forward - we need players who can RUN AND CARRY/break lines...aka Eagles last night with Flecther and Co. (who got em going) and who also have the ability to hit a target/goal. To me its almost a case of ...take slightly lessor pace...for the skills...theyre THAT important.

Montagna from day HAD all these skills - its taken time to get some form of consistency but (and apart from his brain fade out on full) you at least now when he gets it he CAN run away from a contest with the ball AND kick longer than 35m

“Yeah….nah””