Attard out for 2008 - Should stay on rookie-list?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
hotdish wrote:Are you on DRUGS?
Yes, I regularly take cocaine, and don't mind escstacy at the odd party ...

Hate smoking weed though ... don't understand people who do that.

I don't believe Gehrig will be part of our next premiership team.

I believe we are too predictable with him in the side, and that a forwardline of Riewoldt and Koschitzke as the two key targets offers us more flexibility and a greater chance of success.

It's a personal opinion that I don't expect many to agree with ...
How bout Harvey, i doubt he'll be part of our next premiership team, and Max, and Bakes, how bout Gardiner?

why don't we just get rid of every player over 28 :roll:

please explain to me how having less options in our forward line gives us greater flexibility?

this should be good......

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:All the best for Jayden but I don't think we can afford to carry a rookie for a season. Can we pick him up as a rookie for 2009?
Hmm...depending on the strength of the rookies available, I'm now thinking it wouldn't be the worst idea to delist him and then pick him up in 2009.

We need every spot we can get - the AFL is too hard to be carrying players.

Give him full use of our facilities and medical staff throughout 2008, and then consider taking him on at the end of it.

I'd say we're going to use our full compliment of rookies forever more...but I think I'd like to see us gamble on another player in the mean time, to be honest.

I'd almost like to see us 'demote' Sweeney to the rookie list...worth a thought, thus freeing up a whole spot on the main list, whilst not burning off Sweeney or Attard... :?:
how many senior games can a guy have and to what age? before demoting him?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Attard out for 2008 - Should stay on rookie-list?

mad saint guy wrote: However I think this is more likely

Retire: Harvey, Thompson, M.Clarke
Delist: Raymond, Brooks, Sweeney

Rookies
Elevate: Jones
Retain: Van Rheenen, Eddy, Geary, Wall, Attard
Delist: Nil

Thoughts?
your first scenario is more likely... from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list
wikipedia wrote:Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine. Up to three rookies can be retained for a second or third season, with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft.
so we can only keep 3 of this years rookie listers on the rookie list for next year. Got to admit, I've got no idea how they'll look at these since I don't see Casey play. Philosophically, you'd keep players you think will make it, but need a bit longer to develop and aren't worth an AFL game yet, so Van Rheenan springs to mind... as does Wall from what little I've heard of him, and some seem to like Eddy. Don't know a thing about Geary, and Jones is either promoted or delisted IMO - pure skills issue, you either believe you can fix his kicking and do it quickly, or not.

Retaining Attard as a rookie remains an option to see him through his rehab if that's the way they want to play it - depends what they think of the others. The trouble here is whether or not you let sentiment affect this choice, what else is out there, and what the club sees as the top end potential for Attard.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
mad saint guy wrote: However I think this is more likely

Retire: Harvey, Thompson, M.Clarke
Delist: Raymond, Brooks, Sweeney

Rookies
Elevate: Jones
Retain: Van Rheenen, Eddy, Geary, Wall, Attard
Delist: Nil

Thoughts?
your first scenario is more likely... from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list
wikipedia wrote:Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine. Up to three rookies can be retained for a second or third season, with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft.
so we can only keep 3 of this years rookie listers on the rookie list for next year. Got to admit, I've got no idea how they'll look at these since I don't see Casey play. Philosophically, you'd keep players you think will make it, but need a bit longer to develop and aren't worth an AFL game yet, so Van Rheenan springs to mind... as does Wall from what little I've heard of him, and some seem to like Eddy. Don't know a thing about Geary, and Jones is either promoted or delisted IMO - pure skills issue, you either believe you can fix his kicking and do it quickly, or not.

Retaining Attard as a rookie remains an option to see him through his rehab if that's the way they want to play it - depends what they think of the others. The trouble here is whether or not you let sentiment affect this choice, what else is out there, and what the club sees as the top end potential for Attard.
that last bit is interesting then.

Wall is gone
eddy, geary and VR should get 2nd year rookie list spots

so where does this leave attard and CJ. We kept the likes fo sweeney and raymond on the main list for a couple of years with no results so perhaps we can afford to bring CJ up to develop next year.

Still not sure where that leaves attard, is it worth keeping a tagging backman off the rookie list as a senior listed player for a whole year while he re-habs. This is with injury hovering over gards, hamill and BJ.

hmmmmmm will be very interesting. Maybe elevate geary and keep attard on the rookie list?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

my feel for the rookies list is to keep it a revolving door premote attard i think hes done enuff to be at least a fringe player VR is a long term prospect so keep him CJ has had his shot at best will be a GOP but will at least get a game if we need him so maybe premote him after we cut off the deadwood from our main list
out of Eddy, Geary & Wall i cant comment i have not seen them play i would keep the best one of the three and delist the others

so for me it would be

delist
Brooks, Sweeny, Ferg, Raymond (if we want to keep CJ)

Premote
Attard & CJ (if we want to cut Raymond)

Retain
Van Rheenen & one of Eddy, Geary or Wall

Retire
Doc, Thommo & maybe Hamil (only if the news is bad from his december test)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that BAM!!!.

So the first decision would seem to be after year of looking whether the club believes that a player has a good chance of being senior player.

If so they will elevate them IF more than 3 rookies need to be retained for development.

I would imagine that they will elevate Attard and give him a two year deal (if that is the minum for a someone coming off the rookie list??)...the first of which he will be injured.

So straight onto the LTI list.

One advanatge of elevating rookies....is that you use your alst draft picks for them...after having taken however many you believe are justified in the main draft..whether that be say 3 or 4.

So If for example Geary has now demonstraed enough to show that he is a good chance to be DEVELOPED intoa senior player then there should be no problem in elevatiing him
Ditto for Van Reehan, however as he is a young ruckmen who normally take longer than mids....you may wish to keep him as one of your three reatianed mids.

The other factor is restocking the rookie list with more possibilties so that we can churn through the talent till we hit paydirt.

So part of the quaotion could be....do you say elevate Geary and/or Edie....and say delist Voss???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:my feel for the rookies list is to keep it a revolving door premote attard i think hes done enuff to be at least a fringe player VR is a long term prospect so keep him CJ has had his shot at best will be a GOP but will at least get a game if we need him so maybe premote him after we cut off the deadwood from our main list
out of Eddy, Geary & Wall i cant comment i have not seen them play i would keep the best one of the three and delist the others

so for me it would be

delist

Premote

Retain

Retire
geary and eddy have both had really good seasons for casey and would get 2nd year rookie contracts at worst. How can you say keep attard who will miss a whole year and cut one of eddy or geary.

FQF
In richo I trust

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A question on Wall?????

Does he have good initial pace??

IF he is to be gromed as a FB....he has to be quick off the mark. Is he???

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:A question on Wall?????

Does he have good initial pace??

IF he is to be gromed as a FB....he has to be quick off the mark. Is he???
only saw the early casey games and some on TV but wall seems to have reasonable pace off the mark but is in the in between size. Plus he is just too slight, if he could put on a little muscle he could be very much like max.

FQF
In richo I trust

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sympathy to J. Attard. But players like Gehrig are not helping the cause unless they produce under pressure in must-win games, same goes for Milne. Retire Gehrig and delist Milne. M Clarke is past it, and X Clarke for all his skill will never play out a full season due to chronic injury problems and therefore should be delisted too. Hammill is in the same boat and needs to retire. It's all about developing a team to win a flag and that means players who can produce good form consistantly and keep their minds and bodies right so thay can stay on the field. C. Jones showed enough form in the west to persist with, there's no way he can come back to top form after serious shoulder injury, and will need another pre-season.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sympathy to J. Attard. But players like Gehrig are not helping the cause unless they produce under pressure in must-win games, same goes for Milne. Retire Gehrig and delist Milne. M Clarke is past it, and X Clarke for all his skill will never play out a full season due to chronic injury problems and therefore should be delisted too. Hammill is in the same boat and needs to retire. It's all about developing a team to win a flag and that means players who can produce good form consistantly and keep their minds and bodies right so thay can stay on the field. C. Jones showed enough form in the west to persist with, there's no way he can come back to top form after serious shoulder injury, and will need another pre-season.
cute
delist x but keep cj..... :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:my feel for the rookies list is to keep it a revolving door premote attard i think hes done enuff to be at least a fringe player VR is a long term prospect so keep him CJ has had his shot at best will be a GOP but will at least get a game if we need him so maybe premote him after we cut off the deadwood from our main list

so for me it would be

delist

Premote

Retain

Retire
geary and eddy have both had really good seasons for casey and would get 2nd year rookie contracts at worst. How can you say keep attard who will miss a whole year and cut one of eddy or geary.
i would keep attard as he has shown he can play constantly in the seinors at afl level something raymond brooks and sweeney havent been able to as for cj he also has shown he can play at AFL level (as a GOP but still a GOP is better then the 3 blokes we have not able to get a game on the seniors )

i feel the rookies list should be used to try and find the tallent but we wont do that unless we keep them flowing VR is a long term prospect and should be kept on the rookie list for that reason as for the other three if any of them look like playing next year they should be retained if not then move them on and get the next crop in , if we keep it a revolving door we will end up eventually finding the kids who are going to be players a lot easier

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I would like to see these changes made

Retire: Thompson, M.Clarke, Voss
Delist: Raymond, Ferguson

Rookies
Elevate: Eddy, Geary
Retain: Van Rheenen, Attard
Delist: Jones, Wall

Would leave us with three spots for our first three draft picks and four rookie spots.
Retire: Thompson, M.Clarke, Voss
Delist: Raymond,

& 2 of Ferguson, Gwilt, Sweeney, Brooks

Rookies
Elevate: Geary, Attard, CJ
Retain: Van Rheenen, Eddy????
Delist: Wall??

So pick 3 or 4 new draft picks & 3 elevated rookies.

So pick 3 or 4 new rookies.

Ferguson should be retained over Voss for the Tigers game if I was seecting...and how he goes could have a big say on his retention or delisting.

Mini..I would keep fpr another development year. He is still only 21.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: Retire
Hamil (only if the news is bad from his december test)
Question, Would it be pointless if he retired come december, because we would've possible missed out on getting a pick(as there is a deadline for list numbers, etc). Or if he retires in december is that enough time for us to get another pick?.

Carpe Diem
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:
Question, Would it be pointless if he retired come december, because we would've possible missed out on getting a pick(as there is a deadline for list numbers, etc). Or if he retires in december is that enough time for us to get another pick?.
i was meaning only retire in the way his body has given up we would still have to pay his contract and he would still be a listed player but without the 2 weeks next to his name

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If we have to cycle 3 rookies at the end of this year, I would promote Attard, put him on the LTI list, and have an elevated rookie for 2008. It shows faith in JA's recovery, allows us to keep an extra rookie, and generally be a happy family down at moorabbin.

saintm
Club Player

Saint Corin wrote:
From yesterday's Sunday Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 72,00.html
"While St Kilda has stated it will support Hamill, who has a season to run on his contract, it could know by early in the pre-season whether he will have played his last game.

That would likely come too late to add another player to its list, and would mean Hamill's last two years were paid out without him playing an AFL game.

He said on SEN radio he was aware of that fact, but would continue to push hard to reignite his career.

"That time will come - if and when the club sit down and I am a hindrance to the list or whether they want to move forward in another direction," he said. "But as far as I am concerned, I will do everything I can to get it right."