Attard out for 2008 - Should stay on rookie-list?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Attard out for 2008 - Should stay on rookie-list?

http://www.saints.com.au/Season2007/New ... wsId=49755

Bad news for JA, who was playing his best game for the year up until he was injured. With Attard out for most of, if not all of 2008 he should stay on the rookie list.

What does everyone think we should do with that extra spot?

I would like to see these changes made

Retire: Thompson, M.Clarke, Voss
Delist: Raymond, Ferguson

Rookies
Elevate: Eddy, Geary
Retain: Van Rheenen, Attard
Delist: Jones, Wall

Would leave us with three spots for our first three draft picks and four rookie spots.

However I think this is more likely

Retire: Harvey, Thompson, M.Clarke
Delist: Raymond, Brooks, Sweeney

Rookies
Elevate: Jones
Retain: Van Rheenen, Eddy, Geary, Wall, Attard
Delist: Nil

Thoughts?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

No need to elevate just yet, would rather an extra pick in the national draft rather than going to the rookie draft.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

heartbreaking for Jayden..You could see his obvious frustration when he was hitting the turf when he went down..

we must do the right thing by him and leave him on our rookie list

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Solar
Saintsational Legend

as I mentioned in the other thread it will be interesting to see what we do with our list

I personally think that brooks will be retained, especially if gehrig retires. With kosi and watts injury history we would be stupid not to keep a KP forward on the list as insurance (right now thats where ross see's brooks).

Sweeney looks like he has his books ticked, fergi might still survive the cut only because of maxy's injury situation.

If I was in charge

Retired: M.Clarke, Thommo, Voss
Delist: raymond, sweeney, jones, wall (rookie)

2nd year Rookies: attard, geary, eddy, VR

Thats seven positions on the list and 2 rookie list positions.

that 5-6 national draft players and one pre-season pick

3-4 normal picks then 2-3 development players

Get spies over to the WAFL and SAFL and look for 21-23 year old midfielders that might have been over looked back when they were 18yr olds and set up a development core of 3 mids and 1 ruck.

Create a development group including these mids/ruck and rookies and aim to get 50% of them up to AFL standard. Thats what the likes of the eagles and port do.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I would like to see these changes made

Retire: Thompson, M.Clarke, Voss
Delist: Raymond, Ferguson

Rookies

Would leave us with three spots for our first three draft picks and four rookie spots.
I would add Sweeney as a delisting, but keep Ferguson. I would also ask Gehrig to retire.

Agree with your rookies, but would want the Saints to use four draft picks in the draft.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
hotdish
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote: I would add Sweeney as a delisting, but keep Ferguson. I would also ask Gehrig to retire.
Are you on DRUGS?

Why would you ask one of our most important players to retire?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Are you on DRUGS?
Yes, I regularly take cocaine, and don't mind escstacy at the odd party ...

Hate smoking weed though ... don't understand people who do that.

I don't believe Gehrig will be part of our next premiership team.

I believe we are too predictable with him in the side, and that a forwardline of Riewoldt and Koschitzke as the two key targets offers us more flexibility and a greater chance of success.

It's a personal opinion that I don't expect many to agree with ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Terrible news for Jaydn.

Good luck with your recovery fella!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
hAyES
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
hotdish wrote:Are you on DRUGS?
Yes, I regularly take cocaine, and don't mind escstacy at the odd party ...

Hate smoking weed though ... don't understand people who do that.

I don't believe Gehrig will be part of our next premiership team.

I believe we are too predictable with him in the side, and that a forwardline of Riewoldt and Koschitzke as the two key targets offers us more flexibility and a greater chance of success.

It's a personal opinion that I don't expect many to agree with ...
I agree with you, but the only thing I don't like about Gehrig retiring is that if Kosi plays permanent forward next year, we're left without a ruckmen again. This team is going nowhere with Rix as our first option ruckmen.

Badluck to Attard though, I liked him as a tagger.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope Jayden makes a full and speedy recovery.

Rookie list him if we must...but definitely not take him in the draft.

Some good posts about Gehrig retiring - I'm starting to realise he's not going to be part of our next premiership, and that's what we have to aim for.

I'd think about trading him - he's surely going to yield a top 25 pick. We could really do with that.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

AlpineStars
Club Player

I would ask Gerig and Hamil to retire with Thompson M.Clarke and the great man Harvs. Gerig and Hamil would free up about 1 million in the salary cap. Max needs to look at his future as well it is so hard to stabalise a back line with a guy who is in for 1 out for 3. (He is a gun and we love him but is his time up?)

Wake me up when September ends.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Let's hope Jayden makes a full and speedy recovery.

Rookie list him if we must...but definitely not take him in the draft.

Some good posts about Gehrig retiring - I'm starting to realise he's not going to be part of our next premiership, and that's what we have to aim for.

I'd think about trading him - he's surely going to yield a top 25 pick. We could really do with that.
All the best for Jayden but I don't think we can afford to carry a rookie for a season. Can we pick him up as a rookie for 2009?

We must look at our list with eyes wide open and ask the hard questions.
Is Gehrig part of the future of this footy club? Are we holding back the development of Watts or Kosi as permanent full forwards by having the G-Train in the side.

On Kosi, last night showed that Kosi is not a viable, long-term option for the ruck. He was not able to compete with Cox. Now not every team has a ruckman like Cox but ruckmen like Sandilands, White and Lade constantly pants us. Here's hoping Gardiner can come good and fill the gap.
Kosi is a very good key forward but having all three (Gehrig, Riewoldt and Kosi) inside 50 does not work very well all the time.

If Harvey wants to play on, he does unless the AFL decide to limit the interchanges during a game.

The future of Voss, Brooks, Rix, M Clarke, Blake, Sweeney and Ferguson need to be examined closely. I think ruckmen are safe except M Clarke...he should retire...he should have stayed retired. He has added no value this season...He should, however, be approached to stay on as a ruck coach.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:All the best for Jayden but I don't think we can afford to carry a rookie for a season. Can we pick him up as a rookie for 2009?
Can't afford to carry a rookie?

Our rookies are
Clint Jones
Luke van Rheenen
Robert Eddy
James Wall
Jarryn Geary
Jayden Attard

Jones doesn't possess the skill required to make it
Van Rheenen is a raw ruck prospect who should be given three years to develop and we should make a decision after that
Eddy has made huge improvement in the VFL and deserves to be elevated
Wall is a good VFL player, but is too skinny and probably not good enough for AFL
Geary has also made outstanding improvement this year and could play some good senior footy next year
Attard has played a solid season in the AFL

This is what I would do if I were in charge

Which would leave us with 4 free rookie spots. In such a weak draft we might not even want to use 4 rookie picks. We can definitely afford to carry Attard on the rookie list for a year.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I really feel sorry for him, worked his ass off and deserves a senoir spot. Though no its pointless.

Carpe Diem
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Can't afford to carry a rookie?

Our rookies are
Clint Jones
Luke van Rheenen
Robert Eddy
James Wall
Jarryn Geary
Jayden Attard
Thanks for pointing out our rookies to those that didn't know.

The rookie list should not be used to carry players with no output or hope for promotion.

The rookies on this list are being developed at Casey in the hope that over their two year stretch. Attard is now not going to do that. It's unfortunate but it's football.

I'd prefer the club replace him with another rookie and develop another player and look to redraft him if he recovers well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont understand most of this post. get rid of G. our leading goalkicker for 5 years but promore Geary and Eddy. Has anyone of these guys played well in the AFL. get real. keep G and maybe keep those other 2 on rookie lists but not evn sure of that.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont understand most of this post. get rid of G. our leading goalkicker for 5 years but promore Geary and Eddy. Has anyone of these guys played well in the AFL. get real. keep G and maybe keep those other 2 on rookie lists but not evn sure of that.
eddy and geary will get rookie contracts at the worst. Both have had really good seasons for casey and are developing well. They have a chance to push for elevation early next year with the retirement of a couple plus bakers suspension and attard injury.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont understand most of this post. get rid of G. our leading goalkicker for 5 years but promore Geary and Eddy. Has anyone of these guys played well in the AFL. get real. keep G and maybe keep those other 2 on rookie lists but not evn sure of that.
eddy and geary will get rookie contracts at the worst. Both have had really good seasons for casey and are developing well. They have a chance to push for elevation early next year with the retirement of a couple plus bakers suspension and attard injury.
They actually cannot come in for Bakes and can only come in for Attard if he is promoted. My resoning for not promoting them is the are heaps of guys there standard in the VFL now and other comps. Why not look at them and see if they may be bettter than GOP.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:All the best for Jayden but I don't think we can afford to carry a rookie for a season. Can we pick him up as a rookie for 2009?
Hmm...depending on the strength of the rookies available, I'm now thinking it wouldn't be the worst idea to delist him and then pick him up in 2009.

We need every spot we can get - the AFL is too hard to be carrying players.

Give him full use of our facilities and medical staff throughout 2008, and then consider taking him on at the end of it.

I'd say we're going to use our full compliment of rookies forever more...but I think I'd like to see us gamble on another player in the mean time, to be honest.

I'd almost like to see us 'demote' Sweeney to the rookie list...worth a thought, thus freeing up a whole spot on the main list, whilst not burning off Sweeney or Attard... :?:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Hmm...depending on the strength of the rookies available, I'm now thinking it wouldn't be the worst idea to delist him and then pick him up in 2009.

Give him full use of our facilities and medical staff throughout 2008, and then consider taking him on at the end of it.

I'd say we're going to use our full compliment of rookies forever more...but I think I'd like to see us gamble on another player in the mean time, to be honest.

I'd almost like to see us 'demote' Sweeney to the rookie list...worth a thought, thus freeing up a whole spot on the main list, whilst not burning off Sweeney or Attard... :?:
would probably giveup football if delisted, can't do a AFL standard rehab on no income.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

would probably giveup football if delisted, can't do a AFL standard rehab on no income.
What do you mean by that.

hotdish
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: What do you mean by that.
Someone suggested we de-list Attard because he's out for most of 08 - then redraft him in 09 - but this is impossible, because he couldn't rehab properly if delisted
Last edited by hotdish on Sun 26 Aug 2007 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[
What do you mean by that.
Someone suggested we de-list Attard because he's out for most of 08 - then redraft him in 09 - but this is impossible, because he couldn't rehab properly if delisted[/quote]

Sorry thought he was talking about Sweeney as he was the last player mentioned.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

soz should've been clearer.

Also my understanding is Attard was being elevated for next year but it is now unclear what will happen, so obviously he would be very disappointed at the moment and I wish him well.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I love the way he's gone about his work this year.

I would be bitterly disappointed if we, as a club, didn't look after him and keep him on the list.

He may not possess the greatest skills but his second and third efforts I think have put some of our older players to shame this year.