Who remembers Paul Morwood?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Who remembers Paul Morwood?

Some 2 decades ago, the St.Kilda F.C. found itself in an untenable postion with the then VFL and the refusal of them to intervene in what was a ridiculous situation perpetrated by the Sydney Swans on St.Kilda. The VFL after not heeding warnings was forced to go to Court and defend its 'Player Rules' which found by the Court to be illegal. The consequences were that these rules were thrown out and Paul Morwood played the following day for StKilda without a transfer from Sydney.

StKilda were hated by the VFL for being seen to have caused this and over the years I am sure the VFl exacted a heavy toll for this act of defiance.

Well I believe the time has come once again to 'test' the AFL's resolve put their 'rules' under the spotlight in Court.

Yes we are going to pay the price for this action but the alternative is to just rollover and keep taking it.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

From memory that year kickstarted the first of 4 spoons on the trot.

Not that I'm superstitious.

Kate
Club Player

I thought it was Silvio Foschini who took the VFL to court. Paul Morwood was a bonus, once the court had made their ruling there was nothing the VFL could do.

yipper
SS Life Member

Kate wrote:I thought it was Silvio Foschini who took the VFL to court. Paul Morwood was a bonus, once the court had made their ruling there was nothing the VFL could do.
Correct. Foschini case was the catalyst - Morwood was the consequence.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote:I thought it was Silvio Foschini who took the VFL to court. Paul Morwood was a bonus, once the court had made their ruling there was nothing the VFL could do.
The case was over Silvio Foschini but once the decision was made by the Court that the VFL's rules were illegal, Morwood played for us immediately.

GrumpyOne

Mr Magic wrote:
The case was over Silvio Foschini but once the decision was made by the Court that the VFL's rules were illegal, Morwood played for us immediately.
And they both had long and illustrious careers with the Saints and are forever remembered as St Kilda Legends.

Saints94
SS Life Member

you :arrow:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Correct. Foschini case was the catalyst - Morwood was the consequence.
Only good thing about that game was Plugger made his debut.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
And they both had long and illustrious careers with the Saints and are forever remembered as St Kilda Legends.
Didn't Moorwood end up leaving us a few years later anyway?

I'm sure one or both ended up at the Swans anyway?

GrumpyOne

riccardo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Couldn't find the sarcasm emoticon, Rick.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

As I recall it, both Shane and Paul Morwood wanted to leave the Swans and come to us, along with Foschini, Sydney refused to deal with us and I believe they actually made a public statement that they would deal with any club except StKilda (they had a problem with Ian Stewart who was then our GM?)

Because of the impasse, Shane Morwood took up an opportunity to go to Collingwood 9where he played for years). We took the Foschini case to Court and won and then we immediately played Morwood.

He won our B&F abt 1985? but left not long after. I don't think he played at another VFL club?

Halo
Club Player

Didn't he go to Collingwood after he won the B/F ???

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
riccardo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Then settle for learning how to spell my name.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Halo wrote:Didn't he go to Collingwood after he won the B/F ???
I didn't think so - I think you are remembering Shane his brother?

I thought he just retired and got into a Sporting Goods Store?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Silvio still attends saints games and is still employed by a former saints sponsor. !!

GrumpyOne

riccardo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
riccardo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Then settle for learning how to spell my name.

A rose by any other name........ :wink: