City Parking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

City Parking

Anyone notice the city of melbourne has been incrementally increasing the prices of meters, and reducing hte time you can park, 8 hour parking became 4 hour parking, 4 hour parking became 3 hour parking?

metered parking was stretched to 7.30 pm the 11 pm.

this I believe has been a strategic decision to target football goers who park in the vicinity of TD and manufacture fines against them.

I've been driving to the city for footy from the dawn of TD as I'd rather not risk between 1 and 3 kids on the train late at night (depending on who I can bribe to come with me)

the assault on drivers is forcing me to pay more and more for parking or park further and further away.

metered parking is becoming increasingly unviable because of the 3 hour duration instead of 4 hour duration.

given how many footgoers are there before 7pm with the intention of 4 hour parking, the 3 hour parking is a direct attack on them.

as a sometime fan of John So, recent actions by him (the sacking of staff and reemployment on AWAs at lower wages, the quota for meters, and reduced parking times, and longer metered hours) is a systematic on a city gone mad with power.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints94
SS Life Member

no one really cares daniel

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

you'll find a fair few footy goers drive to games, and parking near to the ground with littles one is hard.

I would think travelling with drunken loats on the train post game is a disincentive for public transport with little kids.

and walking long distances with 4 to 7 year olds is not easy either.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Sainterman
Club Player

Certainly care more than 99.9% of homeworks posts!

Saints94
SS Life Member

Sainterman wrote:Certainly care more than 99.9% of homeworks posts!
whatever 8-)

BallBanger
Club Player

homework wrote:
whatever 8-)
I care too Dan, I used to park behind Jeffs Shed, but they blocked it off this year...where do you park now to get away from the ground within the hour?

Saints94
SS Life Member

BallBanger wrote:
homework wrote:
whatever 8-)
I care too Dan, I used to park behind Jeffs Shed, but they blocked it off this year...where do you park now to get away from the ground within the hour?
i do care but not all the time :wink:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
homework wrote:
whatever 8-)
two blocks up between the brothels and Vic market :D usually inbetween the police cars :D

around Milton road 4 hour metered parking there) 20 minute walk about $3 to $4 parking.

otherwise I just pay the $8 or $9 dollars for parking lots

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
homework wrote:
whatever 8-)
two blocks up between the brothels and Vic market :D usually inbetween the police cars :D

around Milton road 4 hour metered parking there) 20 minute walk about $3 to $4 parking.

otherwise I just pay the $8 or $9 dollars for parking lots
Dan, paying $8 for parking is not a lot of mulla these days....far better than $20 at TD and cheaper than 1 Adult train ticket + 3 kids ticket (even ttaking into account Petrol, provided you live somewhere in Melbourne!!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Dan, paying $8 for parking is not a lot of mulla these days....far better than $20 at TD and cheaper than 1 Adult train ticket + 3 kids ticket (even ttaking into account Petrol, provided you live somewhere in Melbourne!!)
fair call but the changes by the City of Melbourne is a direct move to target football goers IMO.

given the changes of timing, it is directly targetted to revenue raising through fines football goers.

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Hey,

Me and my dad have been parking here for years just under the freeway and its a quick walk to the stadium maybe 10- 15 mins.....

It's $4 for 9 hours.....more than enough time!!!

Also its only about the same back and you beat all the traffic leaving the ground.....

Last edited by The Saintsational Man on Fri 24 Aug 2007 12:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I care Dan ...hug?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the advise, hints and tips including PMs.

I will certainly use much of this information for my benifit, and Im sure other 'drivers' will too.

this should also be pointed at the Melbourne City Council for its money grubbing attitude.

south melbourne, footscray, north melbourne and even shudder docklands are better than the city.

its just part of teh money grubbing attitude under the current melbourne city regime.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan...I used to drive & park for free by the water (long gone now I assume)...but these days catch the train with 1-3 kids.

It allows me to arrive just prior to game.....and to enjoya drink or two.

On the train...I have had no troubles with drunken louts...or even sober ones.

Perhaps if you do...it is your train line.....so just a lateral thought.....drive over to another train line...catch catch the train from there...or even your same train line.....but drive in say half way or so to get pst your drunken lout zone.

To keep train costs down:
*buy the Sunday savers ifa sunday game
*for night games use a 2 hour ticket which if activated after 6pm is valid all night (as mentioned if you are along way out drive ina bit to get toa suitable station for the 6pm activation...).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The Saintsational Man wrote:Hey,

Me and my dad have been parking here for years just under the freeway and its a quick walk to the stadium maybe 10- 15 mins.....

Also its only about the same back and you beat all the traffic leaving the ground.....
If you park just the other side of the freeway, in the parking lot, (I believe it's $4 for 8 hours), there's a trick (which i never got the hang of when i was using that parking lot for work) where if you put a 20 cent coin in first to get the machine going, put in your 2 2 dollar coins one after the other, press and hold cancel before they fall, and you'll get all your money back and an 8 hour parking ticket.

Sometimes it gives you a 1 hour ticket and eats the 20 cents.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:Hey,

If you park just the other side of the freeway, in the parking lot, (I believe it's $4 for 8 hours), there's a trick (which i never got the hang of when i was using that parking lot for work) where if you put a 20 cent coin in first to get the machine going, put in your 2 2 dollar coins one after the other, press and hold cancel before they fall, and you'll get all your money back and an 8 hour parking ticket.

I love dodgy people :wink:

I'm gonna give that a crack 2nite!!!

Image[/list]

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i have my monthly ticket, the price of tickets doesn't really worry me, nor does the cost of parking TBH.

its more the change from 4 hours to 3 hours, and the killing off of the 8 hour and 4 hour zones.

generally my kids are 6, 7 and 1 1/2 all though baby doesn't come that often.

I know even the car is dangerous as several year ago, after we beat North narrowly some shipdits threw stones at my while I was putting then baby (the 7 y/o) in the baby cradle street :evil:

As for travel, I live in berwick which is way out past dandenong and springvale which, while ok on my own, can be stressful for a long journey at night, and hard to manage the kids.

driving they often fall asleep after a ngith game, or even after an afternoon game, so its quite easy to drive in garage and just hoist them to bed straight away.

anyway, its more an attack on Melbourne City Councils money grubbing strategies.

I have no problems with pay for goods or services such as parking but the recent changes from 4 hours to 3 hours and the changes in hours available for parking seems to be a direct targetting of football goers as potential fine victim.

Cheers for the good vibes in general.

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The Saintsational Man wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote: If you park just the other side of the freeway, in the parking lot, (I believe it's $4 for 8 hours), there's a trick (which i never got the hang of when i was using that parking lot for work) where if you put a 20 cent coin in first to get the machine going, put in your 2 2 dollar coins one after the other, press and hold cancel before they fall, and you'll get all your money back and an 8 hour parking ticket.

I always wonder how the first person found out. From the (brief) time I was parking in that lot for work, I know the trick has been around for years (basically since southbank was completed and they started cleaning up that area - apparently used to be quite dangerous).

Passed to me from a guy who had it from a guy who had it from a guy who... and now on to whomever wants to park there for the footy:)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote: If you park just the other side of the freeway, in the parking lot, (I believe it's $4 for 8 hours), there's a trick (which i never got the hang of when i was using that parking lot for work) where if you put a 20 cent coin in first to get the machine going, put in your 2 2 dollar coins one after the other, press and hold cancel before they fall, and you'll get all your money back and an 8 hour parking ticket.

I always wonder how the first person found out. From the (brief) time I was parking in that lot for work, I know the trick has been around for years (basically since southbank was completed and they started cleaning up that area - apparently used to be quite dangerous).

Passed to me from a guy who had it from a guy who had it from a guy who... and now on to whomever wants to park there for the footy:)
Maybe from John So's, sister in-laws baby cousin tracy???

Gotta love the pass on of the "Secret"

Always good working as a team to get back at those that try to screw us!!!

Rice Paper
Club Player

Re: City Parking

Dan Warna wrote:Anyone notice the city of melbourne has been incrementally increasing the prices of meters, and reducing hte time you can park, 8 hour parking became 4 hour parking, 4 hour parking became 3 hour parking?

metered parking was stretched to 7.30 pm the 11 pm.

this I believe has been a strategic decision to target football goers who park in the vicinity of TD and manufacture fines against them.

I've been driving to the city for footy from the dawn of TD as I'd rather not risk between 1 and 3 kids on the train late at night (depending on who I can bribe to come with me)

the assault on drivers is forcing me to pay more and more for parking or park further and further away.

metered parking is becoming increasingly unviable because of the 3 hour duration instead of 4 hour duration.

given how many footgoers are there before 7pm with the intention of 4 hour parking, the 3 hour parking is a direct attack on them.

as a sometime fan of John So, recent actions by him (the sacking of staff and reemployment on AWAs at lower wages, the quota for meters, and reduced parking times, and longer metered hours) is a systematic on a city gone mad with power.
Yes, I've noticed this as well. I've already e-mailed the club to see what kind of pressure they can assert on the Council.

I encourage you to e-mail the Club, Telstra Dome, the AFL and State government to reverse this decision by the council.