Its all over for the eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

Its all over for the eagles

Wayne Carey has published an article saying its all over for the eagles

source: http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-e ... 52976.html

KANGAROOS champion Wayne Carey believes West Coast's premiership hopes are on life support, citing Daniel Kerr's potentially season-ending finger surgery as the knockout blow in a flag defence riddled by setbacks.

Carey doubted whether the Eagles could overcome the loss of Kerr, who will be sidelined for at least six weeks after a successful operation yesterday to repair a ruptured tendon in the ring finger of his left hand.

"They're going to find it very hard to win the premiership with him missing that many games, very hard," Carey said. "It obviously puts enormous pressure on the Eagles, no question about that.

"I rate Kerr every bit as highly as (Chris) Judd, and with him out, they aren't going to have the same amount of run they normally get. The likes of (Michael) Braun and (Andrew) Embley, when he gets back, and (Adam) Selwood are going to have to give more run now. He's the hardest nut of them all and in finals, you need hard nuts."

Bookmakers around the country were of the same view as Carey, with TAB Sportsbet winding the Eagles' premiership quote from $3.75 to $4.20 and it believed the price could swell even further.

Conversely, Geelong was tightened from $2.25 on Monday to $2 yesterday and could be odds-on should it take care of Port Adelaide at Skilled Stadium on Sunday.

West Coast, needing to win against St Kilda tomorrow night to keep alive its chances of finishing second and securing two home finals throughout September, also was on the nose with punters for the Telstra Dome match.

When betting was suspended yesterday morning, the Eagles were $1.62 in head-to-head markets to beat St Kilda, which was $2.20.

Once it was confirmed that Kerr, who was hurt in a tackle late in the win over Richmond, would be missing until the grand final at best, West Coast was $1.78 with St Kilda $1.95.

Carey said Kerr's absence, on the back of injury blows to decorated trio Judd, Ben Cousins and Embley, left the premier vulnerable at the most important stage of the season.

"They can still do a little bit of damage in the finals because of the class they've still got in their side, but they are chasing their tail," Carey said.

"A lot of luck goes into winning premierships and suspensions or injuries can impact on a team's chances."

Eagles coach John Worsfold said Kerr had made the correct decision in opting for surgery, saying the option was to play on and have a "mangled finger for the rest of his life".

ps: i hope it is all over for the eagles so we can smash them :D

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

pfft, what would carey know?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

apart from being a legend of the game, double premiership captain, and knowing exactly what it takes come september?

not much...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets put it this way i wouldnt write off the eagles until its over for them they are one team who through all the crap that happens to a club can fight its way out and smell like roses. Will they win the flag ? ... i dont think so . Can they win the flag ? ... you bet ur ass they can

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:apart from being a legend of the game, double premiership captain, and knowing exactly what it takes come september?

not much...
ok then, so if he says west coast are gone, it must be true because he's played in grand finals....

I don't want to go inot this game thinking that we'll win it easy cos our opposition's season is "over"

Saints94
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
n1ck wrote:apart from being a legend of the game, double premiership captain, and knowing exactly what it takes come september?

not much...
ok then, so if he says west coast are gone, it must be true because he's played in grand finals....

I don't want to go inot this game thinking that we'll win it easy cos our opposition's season is "over"
lets all hope and also I personally hope It ends against us

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:lets put it this way i wouldnt write off the eagles until its over for them they are one team who through all the crap that happens to a club can fight its way out and smell like roses. Will they win the flag ? ... i dont think so . Can they win the flag ? ... you bet ur ass they can
This is true! The game this week, even without Judd, Kerr and Cousins is still no certainly! We'll need to bring our best game to this and every game from here on in!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

not much...

Where did he say that it would be easy?
Where did I say that?

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

not much...

Where did I say that?
Sorry, alright, you didn't say that - and he didn't say it either but he's insinuating it, the second part was a seperate comment. Should've specified that. Sorry.

Saints94
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
n1ck wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:

not much...

Where did I say that?
Sorry, alright, you didn't say that - and he didn't say it either but he's insinuating it, the second part was a seperate comment. Should've specified that. Sorry.
dont post things on here if u cant back it up mate

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Its all over for the eagles

homework wrote:Wayne Carey has published an article saying its all over for the eagles
He also wrote off Dean Laidley after round 3.

I might just put some money on WCE... ;)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints94
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
homework wrote:Wayne Carey has published an article saying its all over for the eagles

some supporter you are

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

homework wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

some supporter you are
Excuse me?

- Henry Ford
Saints94
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
homework wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

some supporter you are
Excuse me?
so you gonna put money on the eagles to beat st.kilda are you :?:

Saints94
SS Life Member

I might just put some money on WCE... ;)[/quote]

thats what you said bam
Last edited by Saints94 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 1:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Wayne Carey can certainly play the game. But to say he can talk the game (with insight and accuracy) is a huge stretch of the imagination.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I'm not trying to pick a fight - all i said was just because Carey was one of the best guys to ever play this game, doesn't mean that what he says is true - people are forgetting just how much depth the eagles have - its on another thread on here but someone mentioned their 2nd and third tier players are just as good as other team's first tier players. that's why they are so good.

My first comment was said tongue in cheek anyway. I don't have to back it up.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Wayne Carey can certainly play the game. But to say he can talk the game (with insight and accuracy) is a huge stretch of the imagination.
I know he hasnt got a great media background but i just saw that he thought the eagles are done for and because its a day before they play us i thought it might be intersting to here your opinion

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

homie.. go for a run or play your playstation mate. you need to get out of the house. you have made about 150 posts in 2 days. quit spamming our forum

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:homie.. go for a run or play your playstation mate. you need to get out of the house. you have made about 150 posts in 2 days. quit spamming our forum
i havnt made 150 posts what are you talking about

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

homework wrote:
thats what you said bam
Cute. If I upset you, I apologise.

Since I was unclear:
1. I was joking. I'm certainly not going to gamble based on Carey's opinion.
2. It was a shot at Wayne Carey.
3. I was actually referring to winning the flag, not Friday's game.
4. Depending on who's named for both teams, I may change my tip over to St. Kilda in the comps I'm in.
5. It wouldn't be the first time I've had money on a Saints opponent this season. Being a Saints supporter is an emotional thing - I generally avoid betting in any game where they're involved, because betting should never be an emotional thing. However, I'm part of a betting pool, and if we never bet against our own teams, the pool wouldn't exist.
6. I'm a Saints supporter. Period.

Clear?

- Henry Ford
Saints94
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
homework wrote:
thats what you said bam
Cute. If I upset you, I apologise.

Since I was unclear:
1. I was joking. I'm certainly not going to gamble based on Carey's opinion.
2. It was a shot at Wayne Carey.
3. I was actually referring to winning the flag, not Friday's game.
4. Depending on who's named for both teams, I may change my tip over to St. Kilda in the comps I'm in.
5. It wouldn't be the first time I've had money on a Saints opponent this season. Being a Saints supporter is an emotional thing - I generally avoid betting in any game where they're involved, because betting should never be an emotional thing. However, I'm part of a betting pool, and if we never bet against our own teams, the pool wouldn't exist.
6. I'm a Saints supporter. Period.

Clear?
thats all you had to say in the first place

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

homework wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:homie.. go for a run or play your playstation mate. you need to get out of the house. you have made about 150 posts in 2 days. quit spamming our forum
buddy your post count yesterday was something like 280, its now 530 and it isn't ground breaking replies we are receiving from you either :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints94
SS Life Member

for your information yesterday was 480 something is that a problam

Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
homework wrote:
buddy your post count yesterday was something like 280, its now 530 and it isn't ground breaking replies we are receiving from you either :roll:
anyway what has my post count got to do with you :!: