The Benchmark for crowds...and what we should be aiming for

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The Benchmark for crowds...and what we should be aiming for

COLLINGWOOD TO BREAK ALL TIME ATTENDANCE RECORD

Collingwood Football Club is proud to announce that this week it is set to break the all time home and away attendance record this year.

The all time VFL/AFL club attendance record stands at 1,169,551 set by Essendon in 1998. With two rounds still to come in the 2007 AFL Home and Away Season Collingwood needs just 54,705 to break the record.

With the likely return of Captain Nathan Buckley for this Saturday night’s blockbuster at the MCG against the Sydney Swans the club should break the record and set a new benchmark by the end of the season.

1,114,847 people have watched Collingwood live in the first 20 rounds this year and it will be the 11th season that Collingwood has cracked the 1 million mark. The Magpies average attendance so far in 2007 of 55,742 per match is on track to be the greatest home & away average of all time.

Collingwood President Eddie McGuire said, “This is a tremendous achievement for Collingwood and it supports our position as Australia’s biggest sporting club, a club with a grand vision and an exciting future. A club that is open to all.

It supports our on-going philosophy that whenever the black and white play every person, regardless of their socio economic status in life, is able to come and watch the Magpies in action and be part of the biggest show in town.

It is also testament to the loyal and passionate support of the Magpie Army. It is a matter of enormous pride that we are able to say Collingwood members stick together through thick and thin. It is this support that separates us from the rest.

This year sitting at the MCG amongst the black and white army and cheering for the Magpies has been like being back at Victoria Park – there is no better place on earth!â€

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

24,000 for us last week, pathetic. We are our own worst enemy some times. What ever happened to Strength Through Loyalty :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:24,000 for us last week, pathetic. We are our own worst enemy some times. What ever happened to Strength Through Loyalty :roll:
but freo dont draw anything in victoria

and after the events of the past few days one could wonder why...

i went to the dees/dockers game early in the year

16,000 people in a 100,000 seat stadium was certainly an interesting experience...i certainly enjoyed having a whole wing to myself...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I have my membership and have only been to I think 4 games all year due to VCE this year. It has sucked majorly, and I miss out on really ''knowing'' the team.

Carpe Diem
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

As a comparison the pies got 44,480 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground when they played Fremantle.

Fair benchmark.

trueman
Club Player

Okay this might be a stupid question but if 65000 turn up to the Collingwood Swans game how do they know how many are Collingwood supporters and how many are Swans supporters?

Or do both teamsa get that 60,000 figure to add to their stats?

Or do they split it in half giving each team 30,000 each?

Im not sure how they would do this.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Mu understanding is that it's combined, i.e. the number of people that have been at a pies game this year, irrespective of support.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yeah..amazing what crowd figures you can achieve when you never have to go interstate and play at grounds with limited capactiy

Amazing what crowd figures you can achieve when you are handed ANZAC day and Queens Birthday Monday on a plate every year.

Total attendance figures are a load of cobblers..the AFL pump up their tyres every year but they are meaningless

What I'd love to see is a % of how many Club members and/or reserved seat holders from each Club go to every game..and weight that agaisnt their ladder position

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Do you even have one ounce of a clue to how a benchmark is quantified???? :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Do you even have one ounce of a clue to how a benchmark is quantified???? :roll:
At my workplace we look at what everyone else is doing/getting and engage in rudimentary big picture comparisons that fail to take in the complexities of our different environments.

Nevertheless, we then aspire to copy some things our competitors are doing if they suit our personal agendas, regardless of whether they fit our context.

Then we bitch and moan about not having the time or resources to copy them and how the other clowns have it good.

Prodgers
Club Player

anyone have Geelongs figures? They must almost be the lowest... and they are easily the best side of this year!

kaos theory
Club Player

We have been down on form this year, and the excietment & gloss as worn off a bit. It will come back, we will be much better next yr...

When we were up & running in 04 we drew 35,000 playing the dockers at Telstra Dome.....That game wasn't a big game either....(they were all saints fans)

That is as good as Essendon's drawing capacity against an intersate team at Telstra Dome....

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:As a comparison the pies got 44,480 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground when they played Fremantle.

Fair benchmark.
What scares me about that figure is that we drew 24,000 when our season was on the line and in a perfect football environment - under the roof.

Am I missing something here? Didn't we draw 35,000 or so against Fremantle at the Dome in 2004?

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

2006 15,282 St Kilda v Fremantle York Park
2005 12,465 St Kilda v Fremantle York Park
2004 35,329 St Kilda v Fremantle Docklands (R22)

and for interest...

2004 52,539 St Kilda v Brisbane Lions Docklands :shock:

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Amazing what crowd figures you can achieve when you are handed ANZAC day and Queens Birthday Monday on a plate every year.
Sorry to let your tyres down but the respective clubs made those days what they are. If you want to have a special day for your club, generate one with someone like Hawthorn or the like.

This same topic got flogged earlier in the year around Anzac Day time and many posters came up with some good posts / ideas regarding the Saints but please dont tell me we r handed it. Sheesh.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
Sorry to let your tyres down but the respective clubs made those days what they are. If you want to have a special day for your club, generate one with someone like Hawthorn or the like.

This same topic got flogged earlier in the year around Anzac Day time and many posters came up with some good posts / ideas regarding the Saints but please dont tell me we r handed it. Sheesh.
Absolutely spot on.

Why our club still refuses to take 'ownership' of Good Friday is completely and utterly beyond me.

Collingwood have a very good draw, no doubt, but we never maximise our opportunities.

That day, for example, is a gold mine for our club. Pitch in 1/4 of the proceeds from gate takings to the RCH appeal and make us a good samartin.

Turns a 45,000 crowd against say, Carlton, into a 75,000 blockbuster.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Thanks Everton. Appreciate your unbiased approach to my reply. I think by now 99.5% of forum members know that I am not here to troll or trash the saints as I have a healthy respect for them. Why else would I be here.

U really should grab hold of a day or two on the calendar year and turn it into a Saints specialty day. U guys have great support. Personally I think it would work, you just need to get the ball rolling and find a suitable opposition club to make it a regular.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Thanks Everton. Appreciate your unbiased approach to my reply. I think by now 99.5% of forum members know that I am not here to troll or trash the saints as I have a healthy respect for them. Why else would I be here.

U really should grab hold of a day or two on the calendar year and turn it into a Saints specialty day. U guys have great support. Personally I think it would work, you just need to get the ball rolling and find a suitable opposition club to make it a regular.
Cheers - it's our own fault we don't have a run like you. You've done the hard work and the AFL can't scramble quickly enough to help you out.

We need to act fast to get our house in order.

Carlton don't have a day; neither do Richmond...we should definitely tee up a day with one of them.

We once had 75,000 at Waverley for an Easter Monday game vs Richmond, with about 10,000 locked out...seriously, we need to be pushing our 'marquee days' hard...

Our current admin should make clear their fixturing plans for attracting annual blockbusters, but I'm not holding my breath.