CONFIRMED: We are appealing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
i'm glad we're appealing. all we need is a witness who saw something different to what the freo bloke saw.

I thought Ricky Nixon was that person. Am not sure if Baker did himself any favours with his own evidence either !

Brewer
Club Player

There was another bloke on SEN this morning who was at the tribunal to give evidence (same version as Ricky Nixon BTW) but was not required to appear as the Saints felt confident they were already in the clear.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We don't need anyone to refute the Freo trainer's evidence.
The tribunal accepted Bakes' evidence.

We need to prove the tribunal was wrong, at law, in reaching the conclusion they did.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
yipper
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i'm glad we're appealing. all we need is a witness who saw something different to what the freo bloke saw.
You mean like Ricky Nixon?
We did have a witness who saw it differently - AND he was an impartial one. We also had the "eye-witness" from Freo make a tosser of himself when he completely messed up his testimony and contradicted his own players testimony!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I have a feeling the club will try and prove the trainer was lying.

If we can do that, I expect not only to have the sentenced overturned on appeal but to sue the lying sack of s***.
clearly been mentioned that tribunal weighted their decision on what Baker actually said.

saint4life
Davo027
Club Player

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
yipper
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:We don't need anyone to refute the Freo trainer's evidence.
The tribunal accepted Bakes' evidence.

We need to prove the tribunal was wrong, at law, in reaching the conclusion they did.
Exactly. And they should be able to..

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Brewer
Club Player

Ken Sheldon on SEN now

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Brewer
Club Player

appeal to be on several grounds, including that the tribunal says they accepted Bakers version and should therefore not find him guilty of an offence

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Club has appealed on several grounds, including the ground that, having accepted Steven Baker's account of the incident, which was supported by other witnesses, the Tribunal should not have found Baker guilty or suspended him.
Good stuff: this was always the part of the process that worried me the most. If someone giving evidence to refute the charges against them is not warned in advance that they run the risk of incriminating themselves in relation to other charges not yet brought (ie, rough conduct), then that is clearly a denial of every sort of justice: natural or even unnatural (ie, AFL-style justice).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Brewer
Club Player

feels Baker gave a good account, it was accepted, supported by witnesses inc Nixon, not guilty of any offence.

We will appeal on several grounds

Brewer
Club Player

Appeal thursday night 5.30pm

Brewer
Club Player

Won't comment on whether Kirkwood's prior access to testimonies will be one of the grounds, but thought likely

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Thursday night?

Doesnt allow much time for court proceedings if thats what it comes down to, does it?

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Thursday night... thanks a lot AFL.... you know what - I don't care about 2007 anymore... I say if we lose this appeal, we take it to court and forfeit the game against west coast if they won't move it to let us appeal.... OK, think the anger has set in too much now.... time for me to calm down.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Thursday night... thanks a lot AFL.... you know what - I don't care about 2007 anymore... I say if we lose this appeal, we take it to court and forfeit the game against west coast if they won't move it to let us appeal.... OK, think the anger has set in too much now.... time for me to calm down.
Good idea :-)

The extra day will allow us to mount a strong chellenge

Its gonna be all or nothing..we arent appealing the severity but the actual verdict...so it will be either thrown out or upheld IMHO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i'm sure they can argue strongly that the agreed events went exactly the same as the Whelan-Ball shepard, which he got nothing for, even tho the resulting injuries were worse

if he doesn't get off, he should at least get his sentence reduced

on the news they said its the largest sentence handed out by the tribunial in 10 years, since Diesel got 9 weeks for pushing the umpire

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Halo Halo
Club Player

Im glad we are appealling this f@cked tribunal decision. If we didnt I would have been p@ssed at the club for being gutless.. Its about time we stood up to them.. Regardless of the outcome I am glad we are showing them (THE AFL) that we have had enough of the crap they dish out!!

HarveysDeciple

Bottom line is they said he initiated contact.......like every player who has ever applied a shepherd has done.
And every forward who has put on a 'screen' so another forward can lead into space.
Nothing indicates it is anything other then a free kick.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

At the very least I would use it as an opportunity to grandstand...

Pay 10k and quite honestly stand up and give the panel, and the fkn system a red hot serve.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I still think we should gamble and use the outcome as a sponsorship opportunity.

Caps and shirts from these guys for Bakes, Archie and Rod?

Krikkett
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I have a feeling the club will try and prove the trainer was lying.

If we can do that, I expect not only to have the sentenced overturned on appeal but to sue the lying sack of s***.
Sorry to shoot you down, but the evidence given by the trainer was discarded.

Bakes dobbed himself in.

All things being equal, fat men use more soap.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Can we still name Baker in the team pending the result of the appeal? If not, then he would presumably be forced to miss the game against the Eagles regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
HarveysDeciple

Krikkett wrote:

Bakes dobbed himself in.
for a non-reportable offence...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:Won't comment on whether Kirkwood's prior access to testimonies will be one of the grounds, but thought likely
But that's a purely technical point, isn't it, given that Kirkwood's evidence was rejected by the Tribunal.

Surely more to the point is the fact that Kirkwood's evidence was the main grounds for the case going to the Tribunal in the first place which brings us back to the point I raised earlier about Baker being convicted on his own evidence without (presumably) being advised that he was facing this risk.

- Jonathan Swift