Changes. Rd 21 !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Changes. Rd 21 !!

I think I can safely assume that Max & Harvs will both miss with injury and that Luke Ball will get over his corky.

Kosi, if right will be an automatic inclusion. That leaves only 1 spot up for grabs. I note that both McQualter & Armitage were mentioned in the best for Casey and Clinton Jones would still be on the selectors' radar. With the form of Doc Clarke & Blakey, albiet against pretty ordinary opposition I can't see Rixy forcing his way back into the side this week.

I see that it could come down to a choice between Mini & Armo. With it being so close to pick between them let's hope that Ross pitts them against each other during match practice at training this week with the winner getting the nod !!

HarveysDeciple

Out: Max, Harvey(maybe not)
In: Ferguson, McQualter, Koschitzke...

Its the third out im worried about. We played one full time ruckmen last week plus Blake.
Against Cox and Seaby we wont be able to do that.
Kozi will return but Clarke wont be dropped.
So they may either back their current defence and not select Ferguson, or someone like Raph will be unlucky.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind Birss getting dropped....he looked fairly average against poor opposition and will be totally lost against the Eagles.

CJ can't play at AFL level and is zero chance - perhaps Armitage or McQualter - I've heard mini is being groomed into a tagging role which would be very handy against WCE.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I wouldn't mind Birss getting dropped....he looked fairly average against poor opposition and will be totally lost against the Eagles.

CJ can't play at AFL level and is zero chance - perhaps Armitage or McQualter - I've heard mini is being groomed into a tagging role which would be very handy against WCE.
whereas I saw Birss in the same light as you, others reckon he played a serviceable to good game.

I guess in the absence of one or more midfielder, birss will be retained.

also there maybe some doubt on lenny and Ball fronting up due to injury and possibly the witch hunt of baker.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Out: Max, Harvey(maybe not)

According to Plugger 66 who went to the Casey game M Feguson, Attard & CJ all did not play...as it was Sunday and we play on Friday night....due to 5 day break.

So along with Kosi...they would seem to be the likely ins.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:

According to Plugger 66 who went to the Casey game M Feguson, Attard & CJ all did not play...as it was Sunday and we play on Friday night....due to 5 day break.

You'd think all 3 will be emergencies even if they're not selected, so even if they're outside chances of playing you might not chance them.

If ever the Fergeson crowd seemed to have reason to hope though, it's this week.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's depressing, but only to be expected, that CJ and Attard are being considered to replace any of Harvey, Ball and Baker who aren't available for the Eagles match.

I guess Attard has the strongest case, having been selected for 19/20 matches so far. But I can't see how he could possibly be considered as even a barely adequate replacement for Harvey or Ball. As for CJ, it is obvious that the club has seen something in him which is invisible to every single poster on this forum (and, let's face it, we don't agree about much).

Bringing back either or both of Attard or CJ while, as HD hinted, dropping Raph would be an enormously retrograde step.

Personally, I would replace Max with Gwilt (who, on the basis of his AFL performances this season, still has better claims on a spot in our senior team IMO than do any of Ferguson, McQualter, Attard or CJ, but what do I know). I would bring back Rix for M Clarke (I still don't think there is all that much between them as ruckmen, and Rix would be far more useful in defence) and Kosi for Harvey, with Raph, Gram and Leigh Fisher helping out in midfield.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i would agree if max is out gwilt should be back in if harvey is out then mini should come in if bakes is out attard in if bally is out armo in cj emergency with rix and ferg and kosi to come back in with birss unlucky to get dropped . we would wnat kosi and doc as our rucks this week

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintlee
Club Player

I guess Attard has the strongest case, having been selected for 19/20 matches so far. But I can't see how he could possibly be considered as even a barely adequate replacement for Harvey or Ball. As for CJ, it is obvious that the club has seen something in him which is invisible to every single poster on this forum (and, let's face it, we don't agree about much).
Well I disagree with you, I think CJ will become a great player for us, I love his pace and aggressive tackling...I think your views on him are way off...in his earlier games this year he showed a lot of promise. As for Attard, he has been a real find for the club, and he will only get better. Considering these two are promoted rookies I think they have performed very well, and cost us nothing to acquire in the first place.

eppo67
Club Player

Drop Briss are you f....ing joking.

He is a very good back up on baller. He poops all over CJ at the moment. FFS just because he doesn't have blonde hair and look like Saint T.BARKERs' little brother.

Fair dinkim I cant believe people bagging Briss. If he played a full game he would double L.BALL's possession count and I dont mean that to bag Ball who is one of my fav. players, I'm just stating fact.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

You'd think all 3 will be emergencies even if they're not selected, so even if they're outside chances of playing you might not chance them.

If ever the Fergeson crowd seemed to have reason to hope though, it's this week.
What I meant was that the ins would most likely come from that group....NOT that they would all be ins.

...and yes agree that they will mostly like be part of the emegenies of selected.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 20 Aug 2007 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: As for CJ, it is obvious that the club has seen something in him which is invisible to every single poster on this forum (and, let's face it, we don't agree about much).

Not invisible to me....though yes I agree many forumites have written him off...

I like his pace and agression at the ball.

Yes he is rough diamond...and YES has some flaws...but there is some potential there.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Drop Briss are you f....ing joking.

He is a very good back up on baller. He poops all over CJ at the moment. FFS just because he doesn't have blonde hair and look like Saint T.BARKERs' little brother.

Fair dinkim I cant believe people bagging Briss. If he played a full game he would double L.BALL's possession count and I dont mean that to bag Ball who is one of my fav. players, I'm just stating fact.
who are you directing that too ? i said birss may get dropped to make way for kosi and the colour of CJs hair has nothing to do with anything

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Drop Briss are you f....ing joking.

who are you directing that too ? i said birss may get dropped to make way for kosi and the colour of CJs hair has nothing to do with anything
If you read the 3rd and 4th posts....I think you will find he is responding to saintspremiers and DanWarna....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 20 Aug 2007 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

[/quote]someone like Raph will be unlucky.
Raph will not get dropped!!! He was easily one of our best players plus he gives us some flexibility as he can play almost every position on the field. Kosi will come in and one mid to replace Harvey if he doesn't come up that will be from Armo or CJ. Blake will become the pinch hitter either down back on a tall or negating midfielder if required.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

To pick someone off a 5day break, even at VFL level would be a silly idea, I applaud the decision to rest a few potential replacements from the Scorpions.

However, CJ shouldn't pull a Saints jumper on again this year, fitness related. (Yes, i'll go on record as saying this, so you can all put crap on me if he plays a blinder!)

I'll say the same thing about Armitage. If he isn't fit enough to put in consistent efforts in 4 quarters of VFL football, it would be silly to pick him in crunch games against the eagles, or in finals.

Much prefer McQualter as an option over any of the other mids that are possibilities, I wonder how much game time he got against Bendigo. More AFL experience than CJ, a better tagger, and much better footskills. Not as explosive, but if he is delisted at years end and CJ is elevated or retained, i'll be disappointed.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 20 Aug 2007 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

eppo67
Club Player

Thanks St.TRAV that is who I was directing it at. And it has plenty to do with him having blonde hair if Briss had blonde hair and looked like CJ you would all be having heart flutters over him.

Get real Briss kills CJ ATM.

Agree Otiman but I would have ARMO in front of Mini.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:

how can that be fact?.....you cant have facts on a opinion.
here's some facts:
birss against the dogs =69% on ground for 12 touches, no tackles, 2 clearances
ball against the swans =70% on ground for 23 touches, 9 tackles, 5 clearances.......and he's been carrying an injury.

and birss is as good as ball?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Birss does not have real 'ground prescence' but he does slip under the radar, which can't be a bad thing!

From a purely stats perspective.

Shane Birss
Possessions: 15
Marks 5
Tackles: 4 (equal third highest for us)

Only thing against him is frees against, with 3.

Also, where can I find stats for "time on ground"?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:
And it has plenty to do with him having blonde hair if Briss had blonde hair and looked like CJ you would all be having heart flutters over him.

Well that si not why I like CJ :shock: :shock: :shock:

and I like Birssy too....but ......not in THAT way...

With both of them you are currently talking about bottom 6 players.......and so who gets selected will in large part depend on the specific match ups and role that RL has in mind.

Of Attard, CJ and Birss...Birss is certain to play......

Whether 1 or both of the other two play will depend on who the outs are.

Baker, Ball, Max and Banger are all possible outs.

Kosi if fit is the only certain in....but yoiu MAY need another 3 ins.

Odds would seem likely that there will be two ins at this stage.

eppo67
Club Player

Point taken Matrix
very poor example what I was trying to say was that he get his hands on the ball a lot for the time he is on the ground.

I love L.BALL if he didn't have OP so bad he would be top 10 players in the comp.
Last edited by eppo67 on Mon 20 Aug 2007 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Well I disagree with you, I think CJ will become a great player for us, I love his pace and aggressive tackling...
Dude, it's not going to happen.

He doesn't really lay that many tackles, and his pace is not what people hype it up to be.

He can't kick or dispose of the football in any meaningful form - a huge issue at this level. He's also a lightweight, and at 23, he's not going to improve.

He'll be delisted at the end of the year and rightly so.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Thanks St.TRAV that is who I was directing it at. And it has plenty to do with him having blonde hair if Briss had blonde hair and looked like CJ you would all be having heart flutters over him.

Get real Briss kills CJ ATM.

Agree Otiman but I would have ARMO in front of Mini.
concur that Birss>CJ on form we have seen in the seniors. Im sure CJ has potential but at 23, at a similar age Monty is becoming a gun.

I guess we can look at the andrew thompson situation and hope CJ is a late bloomer, and there is certainly evidence of that, but atm CJ needs more time to develop.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Also, where can I find stats for "time on ground"?
dunno how your papers are over where u are but where i am its usually the 3rd to last column when the team stats are printed and its classed as TOG%

saintlee
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
saintlee wrote:Well I disagree with you, I think CJ will become a great player for us, I love his pace and aggressive tackling...
Dude, it's not going to happen.

He doesn't really lay that many tackles, and his pace is not what people hype it up to be.

He can't kick or dispose of the football in any meaningful form - a huge issue at this level. He's also a lightweight, and at 23, he's not going to improve.

He'll be delisted at the end of the year and rightly so.
I respectfully disagree on all points, I think he will not only be retained but elevated to the senior list....the only down side on his game at this point is his disposal which can be worked on at training, he is a good find IMO