Farmer fainting. NO TV footage !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Farmer fainting. NO TV footage !!

Jake Niall (The Age) stated on MMM earlier today that there is NO footage of anything untoward hapening to Jeff Farmer.

This incident/non-incident is going to fill the papers, airwaves and TV sports broadcasts for most of this week.
IF THE AFL WANTS SOMEONE TO BLAME FOR THE LACK OF FOOTAGE THEY SHOULD LOOK NO FURTHER THAN THEIR OWN BACKYARD.

Under the PREVIOUS TV deal there were four (4) different levels of coverage.

Level 1; This was the Ch 9 Friday Night Coverage with the most cameras and other resources

Level 2; This was the Ch 10 & Fox Saturday Night games with a couple less cameras than Level 1

Level 3; This was the Ch 9 Sunday game and the other 2 Fox games

Level 4; This was the very basic coverage Ch 10 gave to their Saturday afternoon games

The AFL said they weren't happy because it was only the Level 1 Coverage that had the capacity to cover every inch of the ground, every minute of the game. They vowed to remedy this situation with the next (current) broadcast rights.

What we have now is a 3 tiered system that is inferior to the previous system. This was brought about purely for economic reasons after the massive ammounts of money paid for the current rights

Level 1; The Ch 7 Friday Night Game. The Ch 10 & Fox Saturday Night Games. THis has a couple less cameras than the old Ch 9 resourcing levels

Level 2; The Fox Sunday (twilight) Game & some of the Ch 7 Sunday games (those beamed back into the home state of the visiting team). This is similar, but not quite as good as the old Level 3.

Level 3. All other games

Like I said, the AFL said they were going to fix this situation. They didn't. THEY ONLY HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME. It all comes back to the power of the almighty DOLLAR !!

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Yeah it does come back to the dollar.

The love of the dollar also drives the somewhat hypocritical approach of condemning rough play or reportable offences, yet allowing broadcasters to repeat footage of it ad infinitum.

Outlawing rough play / fights = a more family-friendly image = product viability in a market competing with soccer and rugby = greater revenue for the league = more coin for Demetriou, Anderson et al.

Bonus: outlawing rough play / fights = imposition of personal fines on players for minor transgressions (e.g. wrestling, melees) = further revenue raising for the league = more coin for Demetriou, Anderson et al.

Omitting to include a condition of the broadcast licence that broadcasters warrant not to repeat or otherwise call attention to or glamorise rough play / fights = better TV footage of rough play / fights = more consumer interest in the broadcasting package = a higher market price for television advertisers = higher bids by conglomerates for the right to broadcast AFL matches = more revenue for the league = more coin for Demetriou, Anderson et al.

It's such a corrupt, hypocritical business model. Entirely legal, of course. But good business acumen on the part of those running the game means Joe Public pays top dollar for what many of us feel is our birthright: the ability to watch our team play Aussie Rules.

Meanwhile Demetriou and Anderson vote unanimously at a board meeting to increase their salaries - tied to revenue, of course - because Andy's missus wants a new Lexus and Adrian is buying a waterfront apartment in Vaucluse - cash.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

who really cares about Farmer?

Since when are dogs allowed on the field of play during matches??

I can only assume a dog catcher entered the field and caught the stray.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:I can only assume a dog catcher entered the field and caught the stray.
Farmer's not a stray.

I spotted him on a lead with Baker quite a few times yesterday. :)

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

did anyone see thefootage at the ground? i missed the game because i have been away this weekend.

i'm appalled by bakes' efforts :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Could this have happened to a nicer bloke? :wink: :lol:

They walk amongst us...

Mcghee
Club Player

Vert nasty stuff guys.... Please

I saw two freo players and Baker going for the ball. Then Baker coming away with the ball, then looked back and saw Jeff Farmer down. Don't like to see anyone hurt... Hope he is okay

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Could this have happened to a nicer bloke? :wink: :lol:
Josh Carr :twisted:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mcghee wrote:Vert nasty stuff guys.... Please

I saw two freo players and Baker going for the ball. Then Baker coming away with the ball, then looked back and saw Jeff Farmer down. Don't like to see anyone hurt... Hope he is okay

probably belted by carr by mistake then.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Brewer
Club Player

Riewoldting wrote:The love of the dollar also drives the somewhat hypocritical approach of condemning rough play or reportable offences, yet allowing broadcasters to repeat footage of it ad infinitum.
I thought the dark period where 'unsavory' incidents could not be replayed was one of the stupidest and most absurd situations imaginable. As a footy viewer I want to see the incident in question, not the lead-up and the aftermath with a swift edit in the middle to delete the meat.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.