Some Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Some Positives

1) The Corridor
We really went through the corridor yesterday, allowing our delivery inside 50 to make use of the fat side much better. We were fast through the middle with a lot of carry through the centre square and numbers running in support. Probably our best ball movement of the year.

2) Kick-Ins
We improved with the kick ins today, a couple in particular being scintillating to watch. Still room to improve though, especially against better sides.

3) Gehrig
Drop him? i'm sorry, but you have, at most, only half a brain if you were calling for G to be dropped or retired...see what some nice delivery can do for ya? He was awesome, one of the more endearing performance i've seen in memory, he was captivating, you couldn't take your eyes off him...

4) Hayes' Hands
Lenny Hayes still doesn't have the great pre-injury foot disposal...he's good, but not quite there...he's also a little bit slower, particularly on the turn...but his hands are still there. His ability to cleanly pick up the ball at ground level is as good as being 2 steps quicker i reckon...he was great again

5) Raph's a Natural
Raph Clarke is a natural footballer...i don't know, but he's played about 20 really interrupted games in his career...things like disposal will come when confident and adjusted...but he reads the play brilliantly...a great 3rd man up to mark or spoil...he just knows where the ball is going. Super great skill to have. Give him time and his disposal will improve and hesitation will reduce...a great prospect

6) X
Drop X? He was great again...blistering through the middle with disposal there...i dont know how some can see something so superficial and coincidental, such as 1 bad performance, and overlook all the upside X has and call for him to be dropped...he is dynamite in a contest...will either win it or wrap it up...showed today he can burn and dispose of the ball as well...great game

7) Birss' Skills
Birss has a very nice foot pass...he may not be very quick, but he can still be quite damaging...his disposal is better than i thought

8) Fiora
After defending him for 2 years, it's great to see Fizz not just play a solid game but a genuinely damagaing, wel rounded game...got the pill when he went for it, used it very nicely, his hands were as good as always...there was one mistake from hesitation but he is becoming more and more sure of himself...excellent

9) Sam Fisher
I understand that there was never any doubt, but geez he's good.

10) Voss
Very good game from Voss...challenge now to make that a bench mark and not just a one off because he finally got a game...nice lead, hands, kick...great presence to have forward if the opp. wanna double team a bigger name, he will become very damaging...his tackles stick, making up for his slightly slower acceleration defensively

11) Pressure
Not our absolute best but we had really good pressure on today...not just pressure to nullify the situation but genuine turn over creating pressure...great to see...one passage where there was a ball up situation that the umpire let go on and on and we just were recruiting numbers and numbers and numbers as this thing wore on and came away with the ball...tackles were sticking and we were hurting them on the rebound...big grabs and goals are nice, but seeing great pressure all through the ground does warm the heart even more...keep it up saints

12) Ross
Again, solid evidence that Ross Lyon knows more about this team than everyone on here...great selections, all of which will be retained...Doc out for Kos, barring any injuries (Max is a concern)

Feel free to add others

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Positives

you covered most of them beautifully, but here's a couple more

13) blake. seemed to add an ingredient to our midfield that has been absent all year. the missing link? it all just seemed to click back into place with him playing as a follower. whether that was just a coincidence or not, i don't know, but i liked it.

14) milne. back to his lively and dangerous best. like the rest of the team it was as though someone had suddenly flicked the switch to "on".

15) dal's goal. in the second half of this season (starting with the eagles game) this young superstar has developed a knack of kicking the important game-busting goals. he did it again yesterday when he grabbed one virtually straight out of the centre bounce. the resulting kick nearly lifted the roof off telstra dome and after that it was only a matter of time before the dockers were buried. i predict we're only just beginning to see what dal is capable of in this regard

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ross is a coach that likes his match ups....and as part of this will change the 22....and where players play.

Blake played in the ruck this week becuase Freo were playing the small Gilmore there.....

I would not assume that Blake will keep rucking 50% against all teams.

I will assume that RL will match him up on a player that RL believes he needs to negate/beat. ie His Crawford match up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Liam_G
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:15) dal's goal. in the second half of this season (starting with the eagles game) this young superstar has developed a knack of kicking the important game-busting goals. he did it again yesterday when he grabbed one virtually straight out of the centre bounce. the resulting kick nearly lifted the roof off telstra dome and after that it was only a matter of time before the dockers were buried. i predict we're only just beginning to see what dal is capable of in this regard
This goal was a real highlight, but for me, if was the hard ball get and lovely handball through traffic to Dal by Aaron Fiora from the centre bounce that set it all up. This goal, and another within a few minutes, both resulted from similar Fiora clearances. And it was the fact that both clearances were from very heavy traffic that made it great football by Fizz.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: 15) dal's goal. in the second half of this season (starting with the eagles game) this young superstar has developed a knack of kicking the important game-busting goals. he did it again yesterday when he grabbed one virtually straight out of the centre bounce. the resulting kick nearly lifted the roof off telstra dome and after that it was only a matter of time before the dockers were buried. i predict we're only just beginning to see what dal is capable of in this regard
How excited does the crowd get when he kicks a goal like that. It has to be a team lifter seeing our midfielders especially do that.

W all know he can kick a great goal, he just has such great poise to run and kick a goal from 50. We saw a lot of this back in 2005 and finally he is starting to do it again. On ya Dal :)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Liam_G wrote:
bigcarl wrote:15) dal's goal. in the second half of this season (starting with the eagles game) this young superstar has developed a knack of kicking the important game-busting goals. he did it again yesterday when he grabbed one virtually straight out of the centre bounce. the resulting kick nearly lifted the roof off telstra dome and after that it was only a matter of time before the dockers were buried. i predict we're only just beginning to see what dal is capable of in this regard
This goal was a real highlight, but for me, if was the hard ball get and lovely handball through traffic to Dal by Aaron Fiora from the centre bounce that set it all up. This goal, and another within a few minutes, both resulted from similar Fiora clearances. And it was the fact that both clearances were from very heavy traffic that made it great football by Fizz.
Exactly - mentioned to my brother st the ground - watch Fizz hold the ball as long as possible to let Dal get a break - great bit of work that his critics will let pass un-noticed, but was very deliberate and great inside play.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
milney044
Club Player

special mentions to a few who've been criticised..and by me as well..

X CLARKE- well i was so disappointed with him last week after sticking up for him for over a month. but yesterday i was certainly very happy with him, a really solid game from the x-man, great to see him able to bounce back and have such a big contribution. his work to get the ball was a stand-out and has been prior to his "bad-patch" of the season. to his credit he showed us why he's selected each week, when he does this he really is good to watch. also special mention to raph who was very handy in the backline.

J BLAKE- thought he was quite serviceable yesterday in the ruck and finished with a goal as well. it proved rossy knew what he was doing with the selections, blake was handy for us i thought.

A FIORA- some of the things he does just make me understand why he may have been a first round draft pick. he doesn't do it every week but there's certainly something there to suggest the guy has a lot of talent. hopefully more games like this develop his confidence and belief in himself because i really think the potential is there. his handballs out of the middle today were first rate and that mark is worthy of a mention too. on ya fizz keep it up, believe in yourself and others will start believing it too.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:special mentions to a few who've been criticised..and by me as well..

A FIORA- some of the things he does just make me understand why he may have been a first round draft pick. he doesn't do it every week but there's certainly something there to suggest the guy has a lot of talent. hopefully more games like this develop his confidence and belief in himself because i really think the potential is there. his handballs out of the middle today were first rate and that mark is worthy of a mention too. on ya fizz keep it up, believe in yourself and others will start believing it too.
I have really enjoyed Fiora in the team this year. I don't know whether it is Ross Lyon's influence although i do suspect it is. but he is going great for such a maligned player.

RL has kept in in the team all year, and I believe that has made a difference to his confidence. He has the ability

bungiton
SS Life Member

Ross the boss was asked about the maligned players in our side in an interview from the change rooms after the game, to which he replied, which maligned players?

When offered names like Raph and Fiora he asked maligned by who? Christie started clutching at straws and Ross continued with Raph stating how he was unfortunate to have missed a preseason due to his back related injury but was valued highly and then said that Fiora had had a solid season to date and there were a lot of things he actually does that don't get the accolades. Fiora also seemed very highly rated by Lyon.

The coaching staff outline what it is they want from the players before each game, it seems strange to me that obviously they continue to tick all the boxes for the coaching staff yet draw nothing but ridicule and derision from a large amount of "supporters?".

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would not assume that Blake will keep rucking 50% against all teams. I will assume that RL will match him up on a player that RL believes he needs to negate/beat. ie His Crawford match up.

i suspect you are right, but i'm not so certain that is a good thing. rix/m. clarke offer very little around the ground for only a negligable benefit at the bounces and throw-ins. the following division looked as good as it has this year with blake rucking; why change it if it's not broken.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the possitive for me was Roo wasnt at his best and we found an alternative avenue to goal in the past if roo wasnt dominating we would look lost and have no idea what to do and persist with kicking it to him with 3 blokes on him this week we seemed to realise that the ball doesnt have to go throuh Roo every time and it made it harder for freo to anticipate where we were going with the next kick

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Duggie
Club Player

Yes Milney and others, Fiora is exciting.
Maybe he will not dominate a game like a Roo or a Dal S but what he does seems to happen when we need it most. He has copped a lot of bagging on this Forum in the past. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Now all we need under that list is consistency! And then we'll have what it takes to grab this season by the throat! :twisted: It starts this Friday night!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I just cant believe we kicked 19 goals yet the simpletons will tell you we simply are a carbon copy of the Swans??????????????????????????? :shock: :roll:

MYTHBUSTER!! :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
iremember66
Club Player

Was really pleased to see a bit more of Raph Clarke - starting to see what it is about him to like - gets to where the ball IS.
Seems to have a little bit of mongrel about him too - no backward step did I see. Saw three or four positive efforts in a row and suddenly turned up at the other end of the ground soon after so must have put in a good run - (might have then turned it over) - but from what I saw, a lot to like. Looking forward to seeing him with a few more games under his belt and long runs without injury!!!

And liking Birrs - he has got to be nicknamed "the ferret" hasn't he?? Gets the ball and his little head comes up on the neck while he looks around - its a ferret or a meercat for sure!!

Feeling for Goose. He is not quite back to where he wants to be and is surely frustrated - but he is CLASS and WILL get there.

In fact I like this team... Ferguson is getting better and better, Gram is exciting, Montagna is on the improve - I love these lads and wish them well for the finals season and a big 2008.

Please don't go Banger, one more year (unless we can snag the biggie this year - in which case you may retire gracefully and deservedly). I think its my biggest wish in football that the next St Kilda GF win includes the great, great R Harvey.

As for Roo, Dal, Bally, Lennie, Fraser, X, Max, Thommo, Aaron, Sam(s), Milney, Blakey, et al - you are all loved - I revel in your individual successes and agonise with your disappointments.

Caaarna Saints...
[/u][/i]

aussiejones
Club Player

What was it about Saturdays game ?

Direct play

Roo quiet , found other ways to goal.

Great tackling.

Were switched on ....even Gtrain

It was a real team game , and it worked .

Why oh why cant they do it more often ?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we seemed to shelve the ultra-defensive, "accountable", no-risks, negative style that has dogged us all season and return to the more barnstorming, free-wheeling gameplan that has brought us success in the recent past.

guys were worrying what their opponent was doing rather than getting the ball and kicking it.

the result ... 19 goals, a resounding victory and some hope that RL is learning on the job.

it's not all about match-ups; it's about winning. the trick is to make them match up on us.

Violent Stool
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I just cant believe we kicked 19 goals yet the simpletons will tell you we simply are a carbon copy of the Swans??????????????????????????? :shock: :roll:

MYTHBUSTER!! :roll:
Do you think though that other teams will allow us to kick 19 goals?
Sydney also kick 19 goals against poor teams.
I don't think last week's game busts any myths.
This week may.

How far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:we seemed to shelve the ultra-defensive, "accountable", no-risks, negative style that has dogged us all season and return to the more barnstorming, free-wheeling gameplan that has brought us success in the recent past.

guys were worrying what their opponent was doing rather than getting the ball and kicking it.

the result ... 19 goals, a resounding victory and some hope that RL is learning on the job.

it's not all about match-ups; it's about winning. the trick is to make them match up on us.
ah, but the saints were also accountable. that s what was also good about the game. Attack plus defence.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think the real test will be taking all the positives previously stated in this thread and doing it all again this week

cos it can all be undone with another pathetic performance

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
bigcarl wrote:we seemed to shelve the ultra-defensive, "accountable", no-risks, negative style that has dogged us all season and return to the more barnstorming, free-wheeling gameplan that has brought us success in the recent past.

ah, but the saints were also accountable. that s what was also good about the game. Attack plus defence.
i'm all for whatever works

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i think the real test will be taking all the positives previously stated in this thread and doing it all again this week

cos it can all be undone with another pathetic performance
heck ill be happy with an ugly win next week

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Liam_G wrote:
Exactly - mentioned to my brother st the ground - watch Fizz hold the ball as long as possible to let Dal get a break - great bit of work that his critics will let pass un-noticed, but was very deliberate and great inside play.
was no sledge on fiora. good bit of work to get the ball out to dal and i think "fee" is coming of age. also took a very good mark at one stage.

all i was saying is there's not many players around who can consistently kick those game-busting goals like dal. they just take all the wind out of the opposition's sails

Saints94
SS Life Member

carn_sainter wrote:1) The Corridor
We really went through the corridor yesterday, allowing our delivery inside 50 to make use of the fat side much better. We were fast through the middle with a lot of carry through the centre square and numbers running in support. Probably our best ball movement of the year.

2) Kick-Ins
We improved with the kick ins today, a couple in particular being scintillating to watch. Still room to improve though, especially against better sides.

3) Gehrig
Drop him? i'm sorry, but you have, at most, only half a brain if you were calling for G to be dropped or retired...see what some nice delivery can do for ya? He was awesome, one of the more endearing performance i've seen in memory, he was captivating, you couldn't take your eyes off him...

4) Hayes' Hands
Lenny Hayes still doesn't have the great pre-injury foot disposal...he's good, but not quite there...he's also a little bit slower, particularly on the turn...but his hands are still there. His ability to cleanly pick up the ball at ground level is as good as being 2 steps quicker i reckon...he was great again

5) Raph's a Natural
Raph Clarke is a natural footballer...i don't know, but he's played about 20 really interrupted games in his career...things like disposal will come when confident and adjusted...but he reads the play brilliantly...a great 3rd man up to mark or spoil...he just knows where the ball is going. Super great skill to have. Give him time and his disposal will improve and hesitation will reduce...a great prospect

6) X
Drop X? He was great again...blistering through the middle with disposal there...i dont know how some can see something so superficial and coincidental, such as 1 bad performance, and overlook all the upside X has and call for him to be dropped...he is dynamite in a contest...will either win it or wrap it up...showed today he can burn and dispose of the ball as well...great game

7) Birss' Skills
Birss has a very nice foot pass...he may not be very quick, but he can still be quite damaging...his disposal is better than i thought

8) Fiora
After defending him for 2 years, it's great to see Fizz not just play a solid game but a genuinely damagaing, wel rounded game...got the pill when he went for it, used it very nicely, his hands were as good as always...there was one mistake from hesitation but he is becoming more and more sure of himself...excellent

9) Sam Fisher
I understand that there was never any doubt, but geez he's good.

10) Voss
Very good game from Voss...challenge now to make that a bench mark and not just a one off because he finally got a game...nice lead, hands, kick...great presence to have forward if the opp. wanna double team a bigger name, he will become very damaging...his tackles stick, making up for his slightly slower acceleration defensively

11) Pressure
Not our absolute best but we had really good pressure on today...not just pressure to nullify the situation but genuine turn over creating pressure...great to see...one passage where there was a ball up situation that the umpire let go on and on and we just were recruiting numbers and numbers and numbers as this thing wore on and came away with the ball...tackles were sticking and we were hurting them on the rebound...big grabs and goals are nice, but seeing great pressure all through the ground does warm the heart even more...keep it up saints

12) Ross
Again, solid evidence that Ross Lyon knows more about this team than everyone on here...great selections, all of which will be retained...Doc out for Kos, barring any injuries (Max is a concern)

Feel free to add others
everyone of those things finally functioned well great to see the brothers x and raph trust there judgement

Liam_G
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:was no sledge on fiora. good bit of work to get the ball out to dal and i think "fee" is coming of age. also took a very good mark at one stage.

all i was saying is there's not many players around who can consistently kick those game-busting goals like dal. they just take all the wind out of the opposition's sails
For sure, absolutely agree with you RE: Dal. My first comment was more just my own positive view of the initial play and Fiora's contribution. Wasn't discounting Dal at all. Some people may not have seen the initial play to set it up, so it was also just to let those who didn't see it how it all started.