THE game next week...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

THE game next week...

Its all or nothing next week.

We copped some inujuries sadly today but if you factor Harvs/Max out - who do yiu bring in?

Maguire to me seems a logical bigger body match up for Lynch?
While hopefully that leaves us with Sam Fisher/Gram to hopefully give us some serious rebound.

Midfield is the massive worry. Even though we won today....we took time to get some decent midfield ball out against a smaller Freo ruck option and a midfield nothing like West Coasts - we have to break even at least here so with Kosi back that should help bolster ruck stocks.....and I think we need another runner in the midfield with Ball down.....Jones? or possibly bring a Ferguson in to go fwd and free X up to go into the middle?

thoughts?

“Yeah….nah””
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Huge match.

Definitely need Baker in on Kerr.

Maguire on Lynch, S. Fisher on Hansen, Blake on the resting ruckman (Seaby/Cox), Gilbert on Staker.

Huge midfield battle ... if Banger misses, then geez ... do ya chuck Armo in? Probably Clint Jones would come in, although I wouldn't agree with it.

WORST CASE:

OUT: Hudghton (quad), Harvey (quad)
IN: Koschitzke, C. Jones

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The only reason Id lean to Jones is his pace and mature body already over Amo.

Im not sure Mini is gonna give us the run we need hence why I think maybe its time for X to move into the middle with Harvs a likely out - Jones could go fwd for us for that defensive pressure OR we try another marking target up there in Ferguson on another flank?

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully...

OUT: Hudghton
IN: Koschitzke

B: Gilbert, Maguire, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, R.Clarke
C: Baker, Hayes, Ball
HF: X.Clarke, Riewoldt, Harvey
F: Voss, Gehrig, Milne

Foll: Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Montagna
Int: Birss, Blake, M.Clarke, Fiora

Ball will be right (only a corkie) and Harvs didn't look too distressed and hopefully was just sore. If Harvs does miss then bring in whoever performs best tomorrow of McQualter and Attard.

Maguire v Lynch
S.Fisher v Hansen
Gilbert v Staker
L.Fisher v LeCras

Ball v Kerr
Baker v Cousins/Judd

Milne v Wirrpanda

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

no excuses to lose

we did it over there, we can do it over here!

maybe if we make a 350th banner for harvey the boys will think its his 350th and play like stars again? :lol:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:OR we try another marking target up there in Ferguson on another flank?
With S.Fisher, R.Clarke, Blake, L.Fisher, Gilbert and Voss already in the team as medium-tall flankers I don't think we have room for Ferg.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Teflon wrote:OR we try another marking target up there in Ferguson on another flank?
With S.Fisher, R.Clarke, Blake, L.Fisher, Gilbert and Voss already in the team as medium-tall flankers I don't think we have room for Ferg.
True and I forgot Attard - hed be handy in a shut down role......

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Depending on how the Scorps go tomorrow..Id be sorely tempted to brick Attard back if Harvs doesnt come up

If Cousins and Judd come back after their week off, we CANNOT afford to go head to head with them in the midfield. We will get smashed. Judd, Cousins and Kerr must be taggged hard. Any of those 3 have the ability by themselves to win the game for them.

M Clarke?? Hmm..might be a match for Cox at the stoppages but is as mobile as the Rialto building and Cox will destroy him round the ground. Rix might be better or let Blake run with him?

In: Attard, Kosi, Rix

Out: M Clarke, Max, Harvs.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we can carry Matthew Clarke in this game. He is not suited to play on Cox/Seaby.

I feel dirty as I type this but I think Rix is a better match-up for Cox. And is not because they both have three-letter surnames ending in "X". This is a game that Rix could get his teeth into. Tag Cox wherever he goes. I'm sure that Kosi/Blake can handle Seaby.

If Judd/Cousins don't get up then Baker does get Kerr. Although Ball could take the role too.

Maguire on Lynch is the obvious match-up. I'd like to see Sam Fisher away from full back as we will need his run.

Midfielders to come under consideration for Harvey (if he doesn't pull up OK) are McQualter or Armitage.

Big day for the Saints players at the Scorps tomorrow to impress the selectors.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: THE game next week...

Teflon wrote:Its all or nothing next week.

We copped some inujuries sadly today but if you factor Harvs/Max out - who do yiu bring in?

Maguire to me seems a logical bigger body match up for Lynch?
While hopefully that leaves us with Sam Fisher/Gram to hopefully give us some serious rebound.

Midfield is the massive worry. Even though we won today....we took time to get some decent midfield ball out against a smaller Freo ruck option and a midfield nothing like West Coasts - we have to break even at least here so with Kosi back that should help bolster ruck stocks.....and I think we need another runner in the midfield with Ball down.....Jones? or possibly bring a Ferguson in to go fwd and free X up to go into the middle?

thoughts?
Fergs for me to replace R Clarke down back

Kosi in for Max

Matthew Clarke to play his last match of his career next week

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Replace R. Clarke?

Won't happen ... received votes from a lot on here ... and was mentioned especially by Lyon after the game ... said he was "fantastic".

Every Clarke on the ground played well today.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
busso mick
Club Player

Maguire is the logical match for Lynch (who kicked 7 tonight), as is Glass for Gehrig. We will need to find alternatives to goal other than Gehrig, because there is no way he will kick a bag against Glass who is quick and strong. Kosi caused the Egos a headache at Subi in Round 12 and the Eagles don't have a natural matchup for him. Lets hope he comes up because he could be the difference. However like today it will all be decided in the middle of the park. Ball did very well on Kerr in Perth and is orth another crack at him.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Replace R. Clarke?

Won't happen ... received votes from a lot on here ... and was mentioned especially by Lyon after the game ... said he was "fantastic".

Every Clarke on the ground played well today.
Were you at the game OWTS??

most of his possessions were uncontested and a good amount of them were turnovers IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:I don't think we can carry Matthew Clarke in this game. He is not suited to play on Cox/Seaby.

I feel dirty as I type this but I think Rix is a better match-up for Cox. And is not because they both have three-letter surnames ending in "X". This is a game that Rix could get his teeth into. Tag Cox wherever he goes. I'm sure that Kosi/Blake can handle Seaby.
Ol' Rixy didn't do too well in that role last time. Rix was our number one ruckman all day (Kosi and Blake just short stints) against Cox and Seaby.

Rix - 5 disposals, 7 hitouts, 3 frees against
Cox - 22 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds, 25 hitouts

The myth about Rix being accountable around the ground is surely dead by now.

These days Cox and Seaby usually share the ruckwork about 60/40 (with Cox spending a fair bit of time forward).

Clarke would break even in the hitouts against both Cox and Seaby. Kosi would lose the hitouts to both, but kill WC around the ground. He would at least equal Cox's contribution and flog Seaby. Clarke couldn't keep up with either, but positions himself well and could be handy drifting into defence as long as someone like Blake runs with their ruckman.

I wouldn't be too sure about bringing Attard back. This week was the first time that we have genuinely backed ourselves to beat our opponent. We forced them to match up on us, we kicked it quickly through the corridor and long to our forwards. We took plenty of risks and most of the time they worked.

Guys like Attard, Jones and Rix simply can't do that. They are defensive players. The reason they would be selected is to save games rather than to win games. The likes of Raph, Fiora, X and Grammy relished in our new game style. They are all highly skilled and creative. They played a very attacking game, but were still quite accountable. Bring in Attard and Rix and you let the opposition attack with huge confidence and no concern at all for accountability, because their opponent just isn't skilled enough to hurt their team.

kaos theory
Club Player

Were you at the game OWTS??

most of his possessions were uncontested and a good amount of them were turnovers IMO
There is no way r. clarke will be replaced by freg....

r. clrarke is a real talent...... he will get better, and pressure games like the WC game will add to his development.

Sam23
SS Life Member

I think Harvey will play a few times last year...he hurt himself in the third and we just didn't play him in the last and he came up...didn't look to distressed after the game..

Quixote
SS Life Member

Kosi in.

Unfortunately Max out.

Doc must play had a super game.

If The Great Man does not come up -

I was thinking Jimmy but the match-ups are all wrong.

Small runner. What I'd like to see, in order to replace RH (if he is crook) -

Armo, then Jones, then Mini.

Tomorrow's game may play a big part in this.

Think it will be Max OUT Kosi IN.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
rexy
SS Life Member

Was a good thing to watch West Coast straight off the back of todays game as you feel like you have been able to forward scout next weeks opponent properly as a supporter.

Initial thoughts like many were that Clark.M was not a good idea for the Eagles however I think he is our best pure ruckman and we must have him in form and match fit to have an impact in finals, also after watching their set up it would seem that their ruckmen are staying on the ground so I would think that Blake could play as a permenant back picking up the resting ruck and we should leave Clark in and try and win alot of midfield ball (he is our best shot at winning hitouts to advantage and centre breaks) and we saw tonight that when Richmond got clearances they were able to put on goals.

Max out and Kosi in IMO. If there are any other injuries then you would either look at a tagger (Attard) or mini or Armo depending on tomorrows form. Jones's poor disposal IMO is really obvious on the slightly smaller dome and with perfect conditions that we have there we cant afford players who dont hit targets.

Hunter is also an issue IMO, wonder if Raph Clarke could almost tag him at both ends of the ground Ie try and drag him deep into our forward line and then follow him down and still play on him if he goes forward???

Maybe this year?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote: Small runner. What I'd like to see, in order to replace RH (if he is crook) -

Armo, then Jones, then Mini.
I agree that we would have to bring in a small if Harvs is out, but I don't think it would be either of your first two.

Armo showed a couple of glimpses in his few games, but overall he just wasn't up to AFL level. His fitness isn't good enough to be an AFL midfielder at the moment. I remember thinking that if we are serious about making the finals Armo shouldn't play again this year.

Jones just doesn't hurt teams. He doesn't currently have the fitness or confidence, and most importantly he doesn't have the ability. Lyon obviously rated him, but overall he has played 1 average game, 1 nothing game and 3 horrible games.

Mini's early year form was ordinary, but he played a few serviceable games and was being played as a tagger, when his true role is a Luke Ball-type midfielder. If he has got his confidence up and is given some decent game time in the middle I can see him averaging 17 disposals and 4 tackles per game. He has neat skills and has surprisingly good pace. He would be my preference if we need someone to come in for Harvs.

Thompson would probably be the best option if he was fit.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

OUT: Hudghton

kosi should play forward to stretch west coast's defence like last time.

leave clarke and blake in the ruck.

they were good today and if it's not broken don't fix it

same attacking game plan as today and we should win it

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

IN: Brooks, Koschitzke, McQualter

OUT: Harvey (inj), Hudghton (inj), L Fisher (omit)

Gee I hope Harvey only misses one week.....

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:OUT: Hudghton

kosi should play forward to stretch west coast's defence like last time.

leave clarke and blake in the ruck.

they were good today and if it's not broken don't fix it

same attacking game plan as today and we should win it
Yep Clarke can really only play at the TD so yes this will be his last game IMO...

I did mention R Clarke before and have stated my reasons....

Fergs has to have a game before the end of the season IMO, otherwise why re draft him???

Fergs plays tall and small, and I believe he plays CHB for the scorps...

he can play in many roles...

We still have a few passengers in our side IMO..

that is players that have dropped off a little....

R Clarke is one and another is Leigh Fisher....

Surely Fergs should get a chance to show why he was re selected

rexy
SS Life Member

Yo dont think we would be to tall Spinner?

Maybe this year?
midas_touch
Club Player

In: Kosi
Out: Max

Attard/Jones to come in if Harvey doesn't pull up.

M Clarke/Kosi to ruck, with Kosi playing as a relieving ruck, spending most of his time up forward.

Blake to run with Adam Hunter, as he can be pretty damaging as a swingman.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Yo dont think we would be to tall Spinner?

I think we need to cover the Eagles far superior ruck division....and hence the inclusion of Brooks.

Koschitzke WILL be playing (bar further resting) and hence be used to stretch the Eagles backline.

I think we went in with one less tall today....so the extra inclusion seems possible.

McQualter in because I like him.

But lets face it. The above predicted inclusions are going to be nothing like what are read out on Thursday night.