Fiora ... outstanding performance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fiora ... outstanding performance

Really, I thought Fiora's game for us today was close to his best for the club.

He put his body on the line, ran hard offensively, won the footy and disposed of it well ...

Took a couple of great grabs and could easily have had 3 goals.

Full credit must go to Fiora for turning himself into a consistent play over the course of 2007 ... I reckon he might go top 10 in the B&F.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
midas_touch
Club Player

Fiora has had his best season for the saints. Playing every game for the year is proof of this. Is the ideal rotating midfielder/winger, and has seemingly gotten over his confidence issues that have plagued him in the past.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Cracking game from Fizzer :-)

Now...if he cold just nail that elusive first running goal for the season :D

Has kicked all his goals from set shots

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

What I like about him this year, is his overhead marking, he's taking marks that usually I wouldn't expect him to. Now, if only he could kick some goals.

Too lazy to update my username
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Was One on One, with a bloke called Heath Black 4 times today.......won three of the contests.....drew one...

Interesting to see the supposed 'hard nosed Black' running around behind the pill getting handball recieves...............whilst 'fiona' was running through the middle, generating play....backing into packs....presenting and giving Dal a great goal with a HBG....

Not sure the possession count for the two, but I think I know who was best for the day

Solar
Saintsational Legend

set us going in the second with two hard ball gets and great handpasses to players running past. Starting to look like he belongs at this level. Just needs to do that week in week out.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Apu
Club Player

From Footywire

Player Disps Marks Goals Bhnds Tckls Dream
Aaron Fiora 17 11 1 1 1 91
Heath Black 14 0 0 0 3 40

Ironically we picked up fiora in the same 3 way trade that we lost Black in.

Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:Was One on One, with a bloke called Heath Black 4 times today.......won three of the contests.....drew one...

Interesting to see the supposed 'hard nosed Black' running around behind the pill getting handball recieves...............whilst 'fiona' was running through the middle, generating play....backing into packs....presenting and giving Dal a great goal with a HBG....

Not sure the possession count for the two, but I think I know who was best for the day
Black has been a pissweak player ever since he left us... it took us until his final season with us to get him to play hard, match winning footy and the minute he flew over to WA they stuck him on a HBF, fed him uncontested possession and started ooh'ing and aah'ing over how much ball he "wins"

very overrated player

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

was impressed by Fiora putting his head over it today on several occasions - that stuff could take his game to a new level and finally see him deliver on the potential he had as a top pick.

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

One of the strongest marks in the team, and winning the ball in the midfield now, and getting it out to advantage. All ticks for 2007 for Fizz

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Simon Templar
Club Player

He certainly did step up today....credit where it's due......Great to see, good on him, indeed !!

Glad he's playing with us.

Go you good things....!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:Was One on One, with a bloke called Heath Black 4 times today.......won three of the contests.....drew one...

glad you posted your thoughts on black v fiora...i thought fiora was by far the more valuable footballer today.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gave black a spanking. plus he wants to play for us and cost us less. what more can we ask of him

kaos theory
Club Player

I'm really happy for Fiora & how he has stepped up this yr. i don't know what the change has been. Maybe a slightly different role and instructions from the coach. Last yr he was doing ok, but this yr he has become a valuable player for the team. Adds pace, skill and now is developing some more hardness & confidence to his game.

Keep it going...

Juggernaut
Club Player

Really happy with the way Fiora's playing now
He's starting to live up to the potential he's always had but was never able to fully extract
I hope he can continue the improvement not only for our sake but for him to realise the talent in him that he has got

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I've been very impressed with Fiora lately! Very solid performance today! Best ever!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Fiora is a star!

His abilities have no limit. He works hard for the ball. None of his possessions are cheap. Nearly every single on is earnt because he works hard to find position or makes the play himself.

Keep it going.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

was impressed with his game

BUT his kicking at times is attrocious, for some reason can't kick a goal on the run, and twice he butchered the ball while trying to kick to Roo, once over his head and once 5 meters infront of him

if he could get his kicking right he would nearly be on par with Goddard as a player

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

it's not always the case but in this instance i would attribute Fiora's improvement to the coach.

he looks to me like he's playing a more specific role and not relying on his postion and his skills to dictate the way he plays

he backs himself a lot more

influeces games when it matters

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Now...if he cold just nail that elusive first running goal for the season :D

Has kicked all his goals from set shots

Apart from the goal of the year one that he kicked on the run spinning you mean....
:wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....