Comparison with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Comparison with Essendon

Having listened to talkback radio the lsat few weeks and read many articles in the newspapers, I was wondering how you would compare the way Essendon sacked Kevin Sheedy with the way StKilda sacked Grant Thomas?

In both cases the relevant Boards decided to terminate their 'out of contract' coach who in both cases didn't want to go (different from the situation at Melbourne and Freo, and at Carlton Pagan had a massive payout owing to him).

Are there similarities between the way the 2 clubs acted? Did one club do it better than the other?

carn_sainter
Club Player

the only real difference is media speculation

we looked like we did it better because:

there was no genuine media speculation surrounding it
it was after the season
it happened very fast

to me, it looks like essendon surrendered to media pressure and therefore look really pathetic

the only reason our sacking looks bad is that we were still a good team

overall, the sacking itself was handled wonderfully by us

but was it a good sacking?
i think not

was ross lyon a poor appointment?
i think not

can ross lyon coach?
absolutely

JeffDunne

Situations are completely different as too are where the teams are at. The market for coaches was completely different 12 months ago too with few experienced coaches out of contract.

GT had a year on his contract. Sheedy didn't and he's been there 27 years.

Can't complain with how we sacked him but our attempts at explaining it were laughable - even more so than Essendon's lame attempts.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The St Kilda decision to sack Thomas came totally out of the blue. What football club sacks a coach that has taken the team to three consecutive finals, has the support of the players and has been very innovative in his approach?

Speculation surrounding Sheedy's future happens every time he is out of contract. This time, Essendon are not performing on the field. The board was under enormous pressure to answer the continuing media questions. Rumours were rife and it must be difficult to sack a coach that had been there for 27 years. I would dare say that a large number of Essendon supporters and members would not have known any other coach.

saintlee
Club Player

The St Kilda decision to sack Thomas came totally out of the blue. What football club sacks a coach that has taken the team to three consecutive finals, has the support of the players and has been very innovative in his approach?
Classic St Kilda sacking IMO....we did it to stan alves too...we are the master of sacking coaches!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Classic St Kilda sacking IMO....we did it to stan alves too...we are the master of sacking coaches!
We should be the master at it...We've done it so often now.
Stan was not totally unexpected. We had a massive form slump from 1/2 way through the 1998 season. We fell into the finals...Writing was on the wall.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
saintlee wrote:
We should be the master at it...We've done it so often now.
Stan was not totally unexpected. We had a massive form slump from 1/2 way through the 1998 season. We fell into the finals...Writing was on the wall.
hrmm funny that 2006 form slump fell into finals ?!?!?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:hrmm funny that 2006 form slump fell into finals ?!?!?
Not at all similar. We were running at full strength but the players were not playing for the coach.

After round 14 (we had just beaten the Bulldogs) we were 11-3 and the doggies were 10-4.

We then went L-W-L-L-L-L-W-L to limp into 6th spot with a 13-9 record. We had a narrow loss to Sydney and were then SMASHED by Melbourne.

In 2006 we were 6-6 after round 12. We went 8-2 for the last 10 games and lost to Melbourne in the first final with 17 fit players (or whatever the number was)...

Totally different scenarios.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Out of the blue? Maybe for some, I remember hearing for years that "St. Kilda will never win a premiership with Thomas in charge"... with him out of contract, not in favour with the board, and not having delivered a premiership under pressure, many can have and will argue it was the wrong decision - but not a shocking one.

Depending who you believe, the same thing almost happened to Mark Williams in Port Adelaide.

I didn't believe he'd go, and I have to admit, I was dissapointed. However, I wasn't that surprised when they showed Thomas the door.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford