Casey Scorpions vs. Bendigo Bombers - Sunday 19th August

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

2007 TRUenergy VFL Seniors

Casey Scorpions 2.1 7.3 9.5 15.9 (99)
Bendigo Bombers 6.2 9.4 13.8 16.10 (106)

GOALS:
Casey Scorpions: Garrubba 4 Sweeney 3 Matthews 2 Allen 2 Watts 2 Armitage Raymond
Bendigo Bombers: Connaughton 2 Johns 2 Neagle 2 Houli 2 Carter 2 Cloke Bradley Bolton Lee Atkinson Heffernan

BEST:
Casey Scorpions: Matthews Carmody Garrubba McQualter Unsworth Armitage
Bendigo Bombers: Flaherty Cloke Chartres Hille Jolley Peverill

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Casey Scorpions: Nil
Bendigo Bombers: Nil

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

just got home from the game. Our best in my opinion was Armo. Sweens played well as did Allen in his first game. Rix and Brooks battled hard but didnt do much. Mini was good anf Jimmy played a good second half. Ferg and CJ didnt play because of the 5 day break until the WCE game which would mean they will replace Max and Harvs with Kosi replacing Clarke.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Good info plugger66.

Glad to hear Armitage stepping up ... he averages more than a goal a game, which is what we want from our midfield, and seems to be improving.

With a pre-season under his belt, he should be firing for 2008 ...

Glad to see Allen make an impact too. A lot of promise there.

Bit worried about CJ not playing ... he had 2 AFL games which he struggled in, and hasn't had a solid hitout at VFL level for three weeks.

Would be nice to see Ferg come in, although don't know if we need the extra backman/flanker ... Kosi could come in for Maxie.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:just got home from the game. Our best in my opinion was Armo. Sweens played well as did Allen in his first game. Rix and Brooks battled hard but didnt do much. Mini was good anf Jimmy played a good second half. Ferg and CJ didnt play because of the 5 day break until the WCE game which would mean they will replace Max and Harvs with Kosi replacing Clarke.
You reckon they will play Ferguson in his first game this year - against West Coast? In such an important game?

I was thinking Jimmy would come in for Max and Kosi for Clarke. With either CJ/Armo/McQ for Harvey if he doesn't come up.

Thanks for the report BTW Plugger.

Where did they play Allen? And did Armo run out the game? How's he looking?

Cheers.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Also Attard didnt play so not sure who will be in next week. He may be insurance for Bally.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Allen looked good in bursts on the forward line and Watts took a couple of contested marks.Fergus was a bit off with his set shots today.........

I thought Hille had the better of the ruck duels but Brooks did some good work down back..Rix even took a mark on the last line of defence....

Armitage got warned by the Ump for throwing his leg up and collecting the Bombers No.42 in the head with his boot.Armo was laying on the ground after a contest and the bomber dude gave him one in the guts so Armo gave him one back,albeit with his foot.......

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:just got home from the game. Our best in my opinion was Armo. Sweens played well as did Allen in his first game. Rix and Brooks battled hard but didnt do much. Mini was good anf Jimmy played a good second half. Ferg and CJ didnt play because of the 5 day break until the WCE game which would mean they will replace Max and Harvs with Kosi replacing Clarke.
You reckon they will play Ferguson in his first game this year - against West Coast? In such an important game?

I was thinking Jimmy would come in for Max and Kosi for Clarke. With either CJ/Armo/McQ for Harvey if he doesn't come up.

Thanks for the report BTW Plugger.

Where did they play Allen? And did Armo run out the game? How's he looking?

Cheers.
Allen played CHF and was very good but made a few errors which would be lack of match practice. Armo was on the balll. Did come off injured in the last quarter but went back on. Went for a mark today and I would say was 8 foot in the air. Would have been mark on century if he took it.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Armo nearly took Mark of the Century - got as high as the Sean Smith mark just didn't clutch it.

Should have won, could have gone 10 points clear with a Gwilt bomb from outside 50 as it was about to go through Sweeney went for a hanger and touched it with his hand and spilled through for a point.

Not a bad effort as they were 40 points down in the second qtr.
Managed to claw their way back into the game but some usual crap umpiring against the Scorps cost some shots at goal.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

That was Armo? I thought it was Sweeney, from the height he was ...

spiral2
Club Player

did Howard, Geary, Eddy play?
how'd they go?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IMO Ball should play a tagging role next week....reduces the need for him for gain posession and be able to dispose the ball effectively given his injury situation.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Surely McQualter is ahead of Jones at this stage. I guess it'd be hard to pick anyone off a 5 day break though.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Surely McQualter is ahead of Jones at this stage. I guess it'd be hard to pick anyone off a 5 day break though.
Agree. Mini deserves a spot before Jones. He struggled early in the season when played as a tagger, but he's settled down and is now playing very good footy with Casey as an accountable ball-winnig midfielder. Jones hasn't put a month of good footy together all year and has embarrassed himself in his few senior outings.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Agree.
Also considerably more AFL experience from Mini than CJ.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gee you really dislike CJ don't you MSG! did you have abad experience at a family day or something? or do you just not rate him as a player and its a strong dislike?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Id actually like to see Ferg come in for this game.......he gives us that versatility either fwd or back and an ability to even swing a Gram/Fisher into the midfield.......which will need all hands....IF it were me Id go Attard in next for a shut down role....ruck Im not sure...can see tap value in Clarke but round the ground.......hhmm

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:gee you really dislike CJ don't you MSG! did you have abad experience at a family day or something? or do you just not rate him as a player and its a strong dislike?
Which part of his post did you disagree with? (and why?)

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

none of it to be honest..but you dig up some of his old posts and you will find he wrote CJ off before he played his first game. MSG is a very good poster, more than entitled to his opinion, but its becoming tired just like barks' GT agenda

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:none of it to be honest..but you dig up some of his old posts and you will find he wrote CJ off before he played his first game. MSG is a very good poster, more than entitled to his opinion, but its becoming tired just like barks' GT agenda
100% correct...great poster, but is very anti-jones (as are a lot of us) and very pro-brooks, has got a little old but no where near as bad as some posters

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

CJs disposal is terrible at the moment.

perhaps under the tutelage of wafl coaches, and at that level it was ok to get away with, but perhaps under more senior trainers he can get it right.

at the moment he is a liability in the seniors IMO, perhaps next season he will step up.

I like pacy players, but pace + skill > no pace + skill > Pace - skill

i would say gram is in category 1, thompson/hayes in category 2 and at the moment CJ is in category 3.

if he can improve his disposal, will be a very good addition to the team.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Also Attard didnt play so not sure who will be in next week. He may be insurance for Bally.
Well that plus the other players not playing is good news....as it shows the coaching panel is seeking to not take any gambles with our next game.

The weagles game is I thinka must win game...as the crows area big chance to win thier last two games if we do not knock of the eagles.

Having Attard, CJ, Ferg.....and to some extent Kosi all fresh and rested is good for us to cover any injured players....and any omissions.

Birrs played quite well...so I would be surprised if he was omitted.

M Clarke played very well too...and against Cox I think RL will want to have both him and Kosi as options.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Also Attard didnt play so not sure who will be in next week. He may be insurance for Bally.
Well that plus the other players not playing is good news....as it shows the coaching panel is seeking to not take any gambles with our next game.

The weagles game is I thinka must win game...as the crows area big chance to win thier last two games if we do not knock of the eagles.

Having Attard, CJ, Ferg.....and to some extent Kosi all fresh and rested is good for us to cover any injured players....and any omissions.

Birrs played quite well...so I would be surprised if he was omitted.

M Clarke played very well too...and against Cox I think RL will want to have both him and Kosi as options.
with potential injuries and outs, Birss wont get dropped, but I thought he had an ordinary game.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Brooks - Not in bests
Watts - 2 VFL Goals
Blake+Clarke = 15 hitouts each
Entire Fremantle team = 15 hitouts
Gehrig - 8 AFL goals

Shaggy
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Brooks - Not in bests
Watts - 2 VFL Goals
Blake+Clarke = 15 hitouts each
Entire Fremantle team = 15 hitouts
Gehrig - 8 AFL goals
Good maths.

Here is some more:

Clarke (33yo) – For the Saints 9 games and named in best 1 time, for Casey 2 games and in best 0 times

Rixy (26yo) – For the Saints 17 games and named in best 0 times, for Casey 3 games and in best 1 time

Brooksy (23yo – missed 2 years due to injury) – For the Saints 2 games and named in best 0 times, for Casey 12 games and in best 6 times

If you include Brooks last 2 games last year he has been named in best 8 times in his last 16 matches including 1 out of 3 for the Saints.

Doesn’t make me pissed off much that Richards and Bryan ruck for the Wobbles and beat Jeff White on Friday but 4 weeks earlier they were both well beaten by Brooksy when playing for Williamstown.

Sugar left when RL wanted to turn him into a backman. RL earlier didn’t want Kosi rucking but now recognizes him as our best. RL has slowly been introducing JB into the ruck and I am sure he didn’t mention that at his interview.

It is time RL admitted he was also wrong about Brooksy and gave him a chance as a ruck rather than only trial him as a KPP forward which he is not.

RL is great with midfielders (that’s his game plan) but cluelesss with rucks/power players (IMHO).

Shaggy
Club Player

Casey's performance was a great effort. Bendigo was basically an Essendon side. Most were on their list and played ones this year.

Late exclusions from Casey Atttard, Ferg, CJ and Clarke on top of Makepeace and Thommo missing are big exclusions.

If I was Banfield I would be spewing about the players pulled out since it cost a final 4 spot. Does it matter ... maybe not because Casey really could go all the way this year regardless of position. Its a seriously good team if all play in the finals.