try something different

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

try something different

this was also a criticism of our previous coach, but when things aren't going our way we don't seem to have a plan b.

what would be wrong with giving goose a run at chf when roo is being blanketed. chuck roo at chb and see if it doesn't shake things up a bit.

OR throw goose in the ruck for a while and give kosi a proper shot at ff. move fraser to hff.

OR put blake back into the ruck. might concede a couple of hitouts to advantage over a season, but, to me, the onball division seems stronger when he's in it.

OR put gram and gilbert on the wings where they can continually launch the ball quickly to one-out forward.

OR rest dal on a hff rather than on the bench. he's developing into a dangerous goal-kicker and every time he kicks one we go up a notch.

... OR just continue with an ultra-defensive, negative gameplan that all too often simply hands the opposition more respect than it deserves.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy with the tripe that has been served up this year at times and i think we've got less than we should have out of what is still a very good list.

we should be challenging for the flag, not hoping to fall into the eight.

I just want to see us take a few risks and play bold and attacking football. seize the initiative, not hand it to the opposition. go out and win a game rather than worry about stopping our opponents.

busso mick
Club Player

Re: try something different

bigcarl wrote:I just want to see us take a few risks and play bold and attacking football. seize the initiative, not hand it to the opposition. go out and win a game rather than worry about stopping our opponents.
I agree totally, we have gone from an entertaining football team to a "dead boring strangle the opposition" football team. In some games we have executed this style very well, in others we have choked big time with our negative mindset.

I think having an accountable side to our game is important, in particular the forwards putting on pressure when the opposition defence has possession. But when we have had the other side teetering on the ropes, we have never knocked them out and in some cases kept them in the game to eventaully lose. I agree we should be more daring, scoring a 100 points a game is a must. The fact that we are stone motherless last on the points scored this year is an embarrasment.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i hear RL saying "modern footy is all about match-ups".

well how about making them match up on us for a change.

take some chances before the season is over and give us something to hope for through the off-season

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i hear RL saying "modern footy is all about match-ups".

take some chances before the season is over and give us something to hope for through the off-season
thats something ive been saying... from my vantage point (albeit many miles away) until now, it seems that weve been playing a style which is supposed to be negating the opposition, rather than forcing them to try to negate us...

disappointing given the creative players we have at our disposal.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:disappointing given the creative players we have at our disposal.
well if you listen to some of the apologists for RL around here you will learn that they are no longer the creative players that they were ... they've somehow lost their talent in 12 months. spin doctoring bullsh*t

karnaby
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: I'm as frustrated as the next guy with the tripe that has been served up this year at times and i think we've got less than we should have out of what is still a very good list.

we should be challenging for the flag, not hoping to fall into the eight.
I agree 100%

Interesting point about Plan B too, not sure that I've seen much evidence of it this season.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
carn_sainter
Club Player

who has a 'plan B'?

nobody has a 'plan B'

the reasons why plan A don't work are things like skill execution, pressure and tackling, talk and etc...

all are things that
a) won't change in a 'plan B' and
b) would cause plan B to fail as well

there is no magic button, no easy switch...if your plan A is failing, your plan B will too

winning games of footy is idealogically simple...just bloody hard to execute

plan B...myth...hoax...rubbish

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

busso mick raised the point re...putting on forward pressure

imo this is one of our biggest problems
1/we dont have ONE forward capable of chasing,tackling,locking the ball in type
2/when the balls in our forward 50 our 1/2 forwards,midfielders & centrelines all run back to their forward 50 allowing the opposition to WALK the ball out & set up easy targets upfield

hAyES
Club Player

Put Goose at CHF? He's had two shots on goal this year. One was smothered by the man on the mark, and the other was lucky to stay in the stadium.

I definitely agree though. The one thing GT was criticized for, Ross has done nothing about.

karnaby
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote: plan B...myth...hoax...rubbish
Interesting perspective.

Going with that line of thought I would be prepared to view a significant change of tempo as equivalent to a plan b. However, if we haven't actually got a plan b I fear for us as supporters having to put up with the negative shyte we've been fed over the last few weeks. I'd still be happy to take a win any week but I'm rapidly becoming skeptical of our chances of winning with our supremely negative gameplan.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Put Goose at CHF? He's had two shots on goal this year. One was smothered by the man on the mark, and the other was lucky to stay in the stadium..
well for instance when roo was being well-held and comfortably beaten in the second half last week perhaps goose could have broken the logjam by grabbing a big contested mark.

or kosi might have done the same thing at full-forward.

they are just examples of some of the things that might be, but aren't given a go

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
hAyES wrote:Put Goose at CHF? He's had two shots on goal this year. One was smothered by the man on the mark, and the other was lucky to stay in the stadium..
well for instance when roo was being well-held and comfortably beaten in the second half last week perhaps goose could have broken the logjam by grabbing a big contested mark.

or kosi might have done the same thing at full-forward.

they are just examples of some of the things that might be, but aren't given a go
Kosi played in the forward line nearly all night except the last qurter. Goose went forward a few times but was no good. Apart from Roo and sometimes g and milney it is nearly impossible to play well with all the running away from the forward line we do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: it is nearly impossible to play well with all the running away from the forward line we do.
i noticed in the last quarter there was one time where there was no-one at home except for milne

he was left to contest a high floating ball against two bigger opponents ... not exactly his forte

more of the "numbers behind the ball" philosphy i guess.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:who has a 'plan B'?

nobody has a 'plan B'

the reasons why plan A don't work are things like skill execution, pressure and tackling, talk and etc...

all are things that

there is no magic button, no easy switch...if your plan A is failing, your plan B will too

so you are saying that a coach cannot turn the course of a match with positional changes?

I would have thought a move like riewoldt to chb might make a difference, especially if he's copping a towelling at chf.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
EXACTLY!

carn_sainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
carn_sainter wrote:who has a 'plan B'?

nobody has a 'plan B'

all are things that

so you are saying that a coach cannot turn the course of a match with positional changes?

I would have thought a move like riewoldt to chb might make a difference, especially if he's copping a towelling at chf.
the coach can make positional changes which can help/hinder to an extent

BUT if we're struggling its because we aren't doing the things i mentioned properly...one positional change isn't going to change that

changes work when you're playing well and they help you to play better...moving one player is very unlikely to change the course of a game

Persuader
Club Player

Oh stop talking sense!
Where did that ever get anybody?
(Hope you can see the invisible irony button)

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

So nobody else has noticed that our defense changes their matchups just about every time the opposition scores? That we'll have about 3 guys running around as everyone sets up for a center bounce as we try to make sure we've got the loose man we want, and they don't have the loose man they want? The number of times we'll change our forward setup... even if I do shake my head every time I see us plying Milne as a lone forward.

Are we of the opinion that X moved from HFF to HBF last week without RL having any input, or without RL trying to create something new, applying a guy who had looked dangerous up forward and trying to give him an opportunity?

There's plenty about the RL style I don't like... but this thread surprises me. Plenty of changes, shakeups, shifting matchups, and even a plan B (though the man up has appeared to go back in the box over the last couple of weeks).

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford