Ross Lyon Press Conference - FG won't get dropped ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Ross Lyon Press Conference - FG won't get dropped ...

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/afl- ... rain-33311

Ross Lyon is standing by out-of-form St Kilda forward Fraser Gehrig, declaring that there's no way Gehrig will ever be dropped as long as Lyon is the senior coach.

The 'G-Train' was held to three kicks for two goals in Sydney on Saturday night, both in the first quarter, coming off a disposal-free nightmare against the Western Bulldogs in Round 18.

But Lyon has revealed that the 31-year-old, who battled on despite a broken hand and nasty bout of the flu earlier in the season, has been playing under duress more recently with a serious foot tendon injury.

"He had a plantar fascia that he carried which was really brave, that's torn right through," Lyon said.

"He's had one before which was really public but … this one we kept pretty quiet, but he worked his way through it."

Lyon said Gehrig was frustrated by being double or even triple-teamed, but was still hungry and still capable of getting the job done.

"Against Carlton he kicked six and against Hawthorn he was really good and against Collingwood he was really good but the last two weeks he's kicked two and zero," said Lyon.

"Has his mental state changed? I'm not sure. Has the delivery to him changed? Probably.

"Up until the last two weeks I don't think anyone would have questioned his form or his attitude.

"Fraser will never be dropped while I'm coach."

Pressed to elaborate on his team's more general goal-scoring issues - St Kilda is the lowest-scoring club in the league - Lyon said he preferred to focus on figures since the mid-season break which have the Saints ranked eighth overall in 'points-for' averaging 14 goals per game.

The key to the team's improvement had been better service from the midfield which is where Saturday's clash with Fremantle at Telstra Dome, he said, will be won and lost.

"Are we happy with eighth? No, we'd like to improve and move up," Lyon said.

"Clearly against Sydney not too many teams kick 15 or 16 goals against them but in saying that, we had simple opportunities in front of goal that we didn’t take.

"Our last quarters are our big worry - we've lost a number of them. Is that tightening up, is that a fitness issue, is that the opposition? It’s probably a combination of all three.

"We want more goals and we think we're capable of it but it's a bit about midfield dominance - when your midfield is on top you're scoring and when it's not, you know."

Lyon stressed that the Saints can’t afford to make any mistakes against the Dockers in what amounts to a mini-final.

He's very well aware that the club needs to win all three of its remaining matches - against Freo, West Coast and Richmond - to make the finals and he said it's important to go into September with a purpose.

"If you were to win three in a row you go in full of confidence and good personnel and a chance to do something," he said.

"But of you just limp in, is there much point in that? I'm not sure there is."

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Aussie Bears
Club Player

No player should ever be put in that "never be dropped category"

if his form is ordinary he should be. what does this say to guys in the magoos who are BOG every week?????

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
Winmarvellous
Club Player

To be replaced by who Brooks or Watts? Give me G anyday.

woooosaints
Club Player

why even if fraser doesnt get a touch he takes the number 1 key backman away from the team hes invaluable as much as id love for watts to get a kick in the seniors he is an invaluable member of the team and i for one hope he doesnt retire for the next 5 years

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Listen to full RL press conference:

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/medi ... erence-578

Apparently we are not kicking enough goals... :)

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:he is an invaluable member of the team and i for one hope he doesnt retire for the next 5 years
5 years..whooooah.. maybe a little over the top!

I love the train but sometimes worry about the impact his body language has on young players. Let's face it, Fraser can be a bit of a sook sometimes...not that there's anything wrong with that provided he's kicking goals, creating opportunities and providing some leadership around the club and on the field. It's the leadership capacity that doesn't seem compatible with his sooky attacks. Then again when I think of it name a full forward that wasn't just a little on the sooky side. Plugger (Jesus I'm scared even typing that but hey let's face it... he could have a tanty that was right up the best of them) Lloyd! (sook and princess), Richo, Fev.. farouk they're a breed of they're own aren't they! Then again all my footy was played at full back so there's my bias.

Five years is way too steep though, the choo choo's engine, carriage and caboose has looked just about farked at times this season... closer to twelve months away from the railway museum :lol:

...bugger me age and me cranky ways
I'll send my bones to the contest again
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Some interesting points IMO:
  • Sounded the most relaxed and confident I have heard him. Was joking at one stage and was coherent and expressive.
  • Was happy with our pressure and effort last week. Said that there were 134 tackles in the match, which is very high.
  • Thought we butchered the footy in the last quarter, and some very poor decision making and poor umpiring decisions helped turn the game the Swans way.
  • Mentioned 2004/05 which everyone talks about (maybe he has been reading here!) Said that the Saints were 8th for Points For in 2006, and since the break in 2007 we have been ranked 8th as well. Said that it is "easy to romance" about 2004/05, but the facts are that it's 2007.
  • Not too many teams kick 14-15 goals against the Swans -- (the Saints kicked the highest score all year against Sydney earlier in the year with 15 goals)
  • Said that Fremantle have changed a fair bit in recent weeks with their ball use, running through the corridor and are scoring more freely.
  • Lyon stated that every team in the competition pushes numbers back when the opposition has the ball deep in their defensive half, and said that the Saints only had one "loose" player against the Swans (Gram)
  • Raphael Clarke, Brett Voss and Shane Birss are all in contention for selection this week. Decision needs to be made whether to go more mobile with Blake in the ruck, or stick with a hitout-orientated ruckman.
  • Was asked how to stop Pavlich. Lyon joked "I might flood".
  • Has a healthy working relationship with Fraser, and said that he should have kicked four on the weekend. FG has been playing with a broken hand, and injured foot.
  • Said that Matt Maguire was "serviceable" at the moment and is still a way off his best footy. Lenny still improving, but Lyon is happy to have most players available.
  • Lyon stated that the only point of "limping in" to the finals (i.e. winning 2/3) was to take pressure off himself and the President ...
  • Rated Tony Elshaug as a potential senior coach, claiming he had played in and coached premierships, and had years of experience that put him above other contenders.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

if you check the video section at sportal you find his comments on Fraser and vision from training

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/medi ... -train-330

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
woooosaints
Club Player

FF's dont grow on trees especially ones like FG who are capable of kicking i reckon after this pre season he will be fine just needs to get his body right hes only what 31 lockett and carey played into their mid 30's so give him a chance

BallBanger
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:why even if fraser doesnt get a touch he takes the number 1 key backman away from the team hes invaluable as much as id love for watts to get a kick in the seniors he is an invaluable member of the team and i for one hope he doesnt retire for the next 5 years
The number one key backman was bog last week...he's not taking them out of play, he's letting them dominate because of his lack of effort....if it because of injury (some injured players try) than don't play him.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Need to get RL's definition of 'a flood'. Obviously not the same as mine. 18 men behind the ball is flooding.

st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

One of the more pathetic things I have ever heard, and there have been some beauties out of Moorabbin.........'never be dropped' :roll:

No matter how disinterested he gets??????

What if he doesn't get a kick next week?????
Then the week after?????.........

G is a flat track bully.....and only when he beats the best consistently.....he should be given that sort treatment..........Robert Harvey, he aint.....and IMO only the great man (perhaps Roo) get that luxury..

Must be a great incentive for Watts and Co...knowing they won't get a gig no matter how well they do, or how bad their competition does.....

Then again Lyon has his favourites.........that much is obvious......CJ....cough, cough :roll:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i love the way that ross the boss always asks questions when he is asked a question from a journo and then in turn answers his question he asks himself also in response to their question from the media...always makes me giggle

if that makes sense...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree Marto - Harvs/Riewoldt is all I have in that ilustrious company.

However - I just wonder whether Lyon is purely using the media, his comments to spur Gehrig...he really does strike me as a guy that needs a bit of that ongoing spur or he loses interest/motivation very quickly. In addition we are 3 games from making a finals campaign that looked gawn in rd 11...........nows the time to pull out any trick to get your big guns to fire and get the team "up" mentally. This could simply be his way of demonstrating - "Im in the trench with you even when the doubters are knocking"..........Im sure AFL footballers are cynical and with reason...theyre people...they know the hundreds of back slappers come in the good times.........and search for knives quicker than a shakesperean tragedy when things arent going so well.....

Im not saying thats right or wrong I only offer it as a means of explaining why you would even say that.......maybe Lyon knows something bout Fraser and next year we dont....

“Yeah….nah””
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree with St Mart. Making statements like that really sets you up for a fall and could come back and bite you on the arse.

I can see that Rossy wants to show confidence in G, but what if?

Why not just say "I never want to drop him" rather than "he will never be dropped".

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
asiu

i think the 'real' message is .....please play on next year

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:i think the 'real' message is .....please play on next year
Good point - could be.......but geez......if so....Lyons just made a long long term commitment.........

“Yeah….nah””
woooosaints
Club Player

CJ was playing alright at the start 5 or 6 contested possessions at the start of the match then like 2 touches after that i think hes ok just work on the disposal and he will be fine

JeffDunne

I wouldn't take anything Lyon says at a press conference as a statement of fact.

That's not a criticism either.

JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:This could simply be his way of demonstrating - "Im in the trench with you even when the doubters are knocking"..........Im sure AFL footballers are cynical and with reason...theyre people...they know the hundreds of back slappers come in the good times.........and search for knives quicker than a shakesperean tragedy when things arent going so well.....

Im not saying thats right or wrong I only offer it as a means of explaining why you would even say that.......maybe Lyon knows something bout Fraser and next year we dont....
Has someone hacked your account Teffers? :shock:

Very, and I mean VERY good post. One of the things I like most about Lyon is he'll never throw a player under a bus.

Answering the question the way he did takes the issue off the table too.

Same as when Gardiner was brought up. Hamill was bought up.

Vacillate on a subject and the media will help you debate the options. Answer it definitively and the issue is put to bed.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Lyon is no idiot

he knows, as do all those with common sense and a pair of eyes, that Gehrig is an incredibly important player

he also knows that gehrig's poor form the last couple weeks basically hasn't been his fault

he has received rubbish - genuinely terrible - delivery in a crowded forward line without respite

he has also been injured - as always

he has also been working hard defensively

nothing annoys me more than the "Gehrig's not interested...gehrig will only play on if interested" crowd...

this is ridiculous

do these people have any idea what gehrig goes through to play? he's played games where the only way he could go back on after half time is to immerse his left foot in a bucket of boiling water for the entire half time break to get feeling into it...he is as tough as nails

he clearly want to play

he cares deeply for the result of the games as well

and on the subject of favourites...it's not that big a deal that a coach has favourites...i mean, he is the coach and he's going to persist with players who can adhere to how he wants the team to play...all coaches have a few favourites

spert
Saintsational Legend

FG dropped, no way..we need players who can't get their hands on the ball as we need to keep persisting with those low scores....reality check please!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I wouldn't take anything Lyon says at a press conference as a statement of fact.

That's not a criticism either.
Most sensible post on this thread.

The tripe I have on this threadead above makes me laugh. Its a flipping presser FFS, he is feeding the chooks.

Unfortunately with the intellectual lightweights who inhabit here, the term "the caravan moves on but the dog keeps barking" comes to mind :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa - get of your HIGH HORSE......it was a f***ing stupid comment.....simple as that.......

In the words of Ross 'don't try to defend the indefenceable'

Intellectual lighweights......any knob that would have the arrogance to say that......is, well :roll:
Remember people read your posts aswell.....

2 things
If fraser needs his coach to come out and b

Persuader
Club Player

Carn Sainter - I wish I knew how to cut and paste on this site because
your post says it all for me.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society