GT wants $60000 in holiday pay

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Not exactly a quote (I did hear both RB & AF say it) but this article makes reference to it (and I accept this is a direct quote )
FOOTBALL has always been a dirty business.

Sack your struggling coach and you better ensure his reputation is battered enough that your fans won't rise up in opposition.

Ditch a coach who has taken you to the finals for three straight years and you better get busy muckraking.

It is a realisation that has only just dawned on St Kilda president Rod Butterss, one that may cost him his presidency.

St Kilda booted Stan Alves in 1998 after the club finished sixth and the Saints' fans are still up in arms.

Brisbane's Robert Walls and Richmond's John Northey swapped clubs in 1995, and Malcolm Blight walked away from Geelong after the 1994 Grand Final loss, but that's where it starts and ends.

Instead of itemising Thomas's many supposed faults when St Kilda chopped him, Butterss gave only vague reasons about autonomy and failing to secure ruckman David Hille in a trade.

Then he said he would have sacked him even in the event of a premiership.

Thomas walked away with reputation intact and a fresh gang of media comrades to defend their new golf partner.

Butterss's biggest obstacle will not be potential challenger Steve Bedwell, but placating a St Kilda fan base that has again turned feral.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 72,00.html

---------------------------

Here's another :
SACKED St Kilda coach Grant Thomas had been doomed since the middle of the season.

It was revealed last night that Thomas' fate was sealed months ago when the Saints' board began to sound out the availability of incumbent coaches to take over at the end of the season.
The club's directors felt they had no option other than to release Thomas.

A senior St Kilda source said last night not even a grand final appearance would have guaranteed Thomas' future.

President Rod Butterss admitted yesterday's announcement was a "crystallisation" of the thought processes of the board over the past few months
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

So those workchoices adverts on TV are not telling the truth? Poor workers aren't protected?

Maybe GT can get Bev to go into bat for him. :wink:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I too remember hearing the quote from Archie Fraser at some press conference about 'sacking even if a premiership' and remember reading about RB saying the same, but can't quote nor provide proof other than my iron clad memory.

Now, where was I?

Ah, that's right. GT. I agree with nearly everything in this thread, just not as harsh as Andrew.

I wish the whole GT issue would just go away, but in reality, it won't. He won't. Until RB has also left, then GT will also be consigned.

I won't debate the whys and what fors, I just think the RB/GT era needs to close. Quickly.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

LOL - thats hilarious JD.

Not only was he going to get sacked in the face of a flag, but because he didn't secure David Hille in a trade as well.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - oh dear, need a script writer for poor old Rod and Arch.

David Hille - oh dear :roll: :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote: I wish the whole GT issue would just go away, but in reality, it won't. He won't. Until RB has also left, then GT will also be consigned.

I won't debate the whys and what fors, I just think the RB/GT era needs to close. Quickly.
By the looks of it this is well and truly the case. Thomas wont stop until Butters is gone.

Why one wonders when he alsways has the best interest of the STKFC at heart? :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:So those workchoices adverts on TV are not telling the truth? Poor workers aren't protected?

Maybe GT can get Bev to go into bat for him. :wink:
I think the blanket rules apply to those entering agreements when you are not covered by a federal award and earning under $75K.

Was GT getting more than $75K?

Barks....anyone? :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I guess for 25 odd years they were the best of friends.

now its gone sour they are splashing it all over the place like a pair of drunken bull elephants.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
yipper
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:I guess for 25 odd years they were the best of friends.

now its gone sour they are splashing it all over the place like a pair of drunken bull elephants.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Yes, and that's what annoys me the most - all that good work they did together at St.Kilda is being eroded by their antics over the past few months.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I thought their friendship only started out at Waverly back in 99 when we lost to Hawthorn after leading by 63 points five minutes into the second quarter

Which if correct would put their friendship in total, to have lasted only about 4 -5 years at the most

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We should just pay him whatever he is owed and then there wouldn't be an issue.

However, my deeper instinct says it's Rod's job to pay him, not the club. In his honrary capacity with the club, he personally hired him - and then fired him - so surely the buck stops with him?
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 14 Aug 2007 3:14pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

I thought their friendship only started out at Waverly back in 99 when we lost to Hawthorn after leading by 63 points five minutes into the second quarter

Which if correct would put their friendship in total, to have lasted only about 4 -5 years at the most
My understanding is they knew each other when both were at St Kilda but were not close. They again met in the mid to late nineties through business associates and became close in or around late '98 early '99.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We should just pay him whatever he is owed and then there wouldn't be an issue.

However, my deeper instinct says it's Rod's job to pay him, not the club. He personally hired him - and then fired him - so surely the buck stops with him?
RB did not personally hire him...it wasa Board decuison of which RB was part of.

GT was on the Board so in part hired himself....so how about GT stump up some cash??????

RB did put his hand in his pocket to pay out Blight.

RB has just put his hand in his pocket AGAIN as he has had to accept less than he was owed by GT.

RB has never draw a salary......

GT was paid a lot LOT more than a coach of his status should have been paid...remember he had no apprenticeship as an assistant coach.....so he should not have been on what he was.

How about GT just accepts that he has extracted more than enough out of both the Saints and RB's pockets.

The Gravy Train has stopped....time for him to work fora $ like the rest of us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We should just pay him whatever he is owed and then there wouldn't be an issue.
My instinct says it's Rod's job to pay him, not the club. He personally hired him - and then fired him - so surely the buck stops with him.
FAIR ******* DINKUM

and do you even consider for a moment that he is NOT owed any money by the club?

You complete ignoramus, it is the clubs view that he is not owed any money, so why should he be paid?

GET IT

Also btw, there was a clause in his contract that his services could be terminated at any time without any financial liability

The club allegedly offered him a settlement payment on the proviso that he go quietly, which it was not contractually obligated to do

any claims by Thomas allegedly $60,000 for holiday pay etc... is nothing more than extortion

If the club believe that he has not met the conditions of the settlement then he should not be paid

Thomas was paid $2.5 MILLION DOLLARS over five years

FAIR DINKUM, that's more than enough, for overseeing our recruiting debacle

and I do mean FAIR DINKUM

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: I thought their friendship only started out at Waverly back in 99 when we lost to Hawthorn after leading by 63 points five minutes into the second quarter

Joffa Burns wrote:

My understanding is they knew each other when both were at St Kilda but were not close. They again met in the mid to late nineties through business associates and became close in or around late '98 early '99.
Yes, that is also my understanding

seriously I wonder what planet dan lives on sometimes, some of the stuff he just makes up, because it sounds good at the time of writing, even if it is all just an invention of his own mind and has nothing to do with actual reality

25 year friednship, yeah righto dan :roll:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

When we talk about the "the club" owing GT money, realistically we are talking about the board aren't we? The club funds the money owed, but the board has made all the decisions regarding this issue.

The board with RB as president fired Blight and hired Thomas. The board which as we've heard since apparently did this in a pretty unprofessional way ie. GT was getting the job regardless of who applied. Now RB oversaw this decision, he rubber stamped it as president. As he did with the million $ Blight payout. As he would have signed GT's contract, he also over saw the GT sacking, he rubber stamped these decisions on behalf of the board. I assume thats how things work.

So what I'm getting at is, that the board represent the St.Kilda FC, they are not the St.Kilda FC IMO. So atm the moment we have 2 sides here. On one side GT, and on the other a group of men, 'the board'. And currently it is the boards word against GT as to the particulars of the contract. No one else has seen it have they?

I'll leave it up to the rest of you to believe who you want, but realistically it's one word against the other.

I find it funny how people can be so sure of whose owed what and whose right when we have so few facts.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well I assumed they were friends from prior to 98/99 from being around st kilda in the 80s together as well as all the rhetoric about having coffees, being neighbours and GT recruiting butterss to the board and supporting his run for the presidency.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:When we talk about the "the club" owing GT money, realistically we are talking about the board aren't we? The club funds the money owed, but the board has made all the decisions regarding this issue.

The board with RB as president fired Blight and hired Thomas. The board which as we've heard since apparently did this in a pretty unprofessional way ie. GT was getting the job regardless of who applied. Now RB oversaw this decision, he rubber stamped it as president. As he did with the million $ Blight payout. As he would have signed GT's contract, he also over saw the GT sacking, he rubber stamped these decisions on behalf of the board. I assume thats how things work.

So what I'm getting at is, that the board represent the St.Kilda FC, they are not the St.Kilda FC IMO. So atm the moment we have 2 sides here. On one side GT, and on the other a group of men, 'the board'. And currently it is the boards word against GT as to the particulars of the contract. No one else has seen it have they?

I'll leave it up to the rest of you to believe who you want, but realistically it's one word against the other.

I find it funny how people can be so sure of whose owed what and whose right when we have so few facts.
I think you'll find that the reason Blight received a payout was becuase he had a 2 year contract with teh Club and was terminated early. Rb and the Board could have just as easily paid Blight from Club Funds, but RB and another chose to pay Blight his entitlement from their own pockets and 'save' the Club from doing so.

In the case of GT, it would appear that he did not have a 'payout' figure owing to him and so the Club did not have a liablilty owing to him.

If the reports we are hearing are accurate it would appear that a 'separate deal' was done between the Club and GT whereby the Club would pay him some money if he met certain conditions. GT feels he has met those conditions and it is obvious the Club does not. Hence the current legal action.

To suggest that RB should pay because he is 'ultimately responsible' is a little far-fetched. Should RB collect a portion of all the sponsorship money the Club has earned whilst he has been President because 'ultimately he is responsible'?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The sooner BOTH RB and GT just piss off and forget they ever had any association with the St.Kilda Football Club the better.

Bunch of bloody school children they have both become ready to have a sook at any opportunity.

All both of them do is damage whatever little respect our club has in the wider community.

If you don't think it effects our on field performances then think again.

If you don't think it effects our coach then think again.

All this carry on is hurting our club very deeply and must stop right now before the damage is irreversable.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The sooner BOTH RB and GT just piss off and forget they ever had any association with the St.Kilda Football Club the better.

Bunch of bloody school children they have both become ready to have a sook at any opportunity.

All both of them do is damage whatever little respect our club has in the wider community.

All this carry on is hurting our club very deeply and must stop right now before the damage is irreversable.
To be honest I dont think it worries the players at all and if you speak to them privately they have a good laugh about so it is not affecting their form at all. Wish we could that as an excuse. Not sure about the coach. He must be wondering what he did to deserve all this carry on.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I am confused as to how posters on this forum feel they have the right or knowledge to claim that GT should or should not be paid the 60k that is alledgedly owed to him.

Because frankly you don't.

As supporters without the club we are privvy to little information from the inside. The way some people here carry on you'd think they drafted the contracts.

IF the club owe GT 60k in wages, they should pay it. This is not the eighties, we are not about to go broke. GT coached for five full years and from all reports put everything into it.

As paying members we do have rights, we have a forum in which to have our say at the AGM's. As far as I understand these rights do not extend to contractual negotiations and disputes. And nor should they. You want to get involved with that, make a run for the board.

I agree that GT's comments do seem strange at times and I get pissed off when I hear them, as I only want the best for STKFC.

However, there is more to all of this than I think we know and I would suggest a few truths will become evident after the season is complete and the inevitable board challenge arises.

Just quietly I'm not sure I'd like to be in RB's shoes right now.

It may turn out that GT had the best interests of the club in mind after all.

An alternative POV.

:idea:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:The sooner BOTH RB and GT just piss off and forget they ever had any association with the St.Kilda Football Club the better.

To be honest I dont think it worries the players at all and if you speak to them privately they have a good laugh about so it is not affecting their form at all. Wish we could that as an excuse. Not sure about the coach. He must be wondering what he did to deserve all this carry on.
cheers for that info....was second guessing a bit re the players...I guess they are young blokes who aren't long time suffering passionate Saints fans like some of us!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

cheers for that info....was second guessing a bit re the players...I guess they are young blokes who aren't long time suffering passionate Saints fans like some of us!!!
Thats exactly right. Most of them love the saints while playing but when they leave they dont really care not like all of us long suffering fans.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:IF the club owe GT 60k in wages, they should pay it.

I agree that GT's comments do seem strange at times and I get pissed off when I hear them, as I only want the best for STKFC.

However, there is more to all of this than I think we know and I would suggest a few truths will become evident after the season is complete and the inevitable board challenge arises.

Just quietly I'm not sure I'd like to be in RB's shoes right now.

It may turn out that GT had the best interests of the club in mind after all.

An alternative POV.

:idea:
Quixote,
What should the Club/Board do if the $60k is not owed as apparently alleged by GT.
How should they handle it?

With respect to the highlighted portion of your post, you would appear to have some knowledge on this matter that others of us don't have. I for one would love to know what it is?

Quixote
SS Life Member

What should the Club/Board do if the $60k is not owed as apparently alleged by GT.
How should they handle it?

With respect to the highlighted portion of your post, you would appear to have some knowledge on this matter that others of us don't have. I for one would love to know what it is?
They should make it known that the claim was without merit, and if possible put the torch on the 'mole' who started the whispers. This should include people like Caro. And, if the 'mole' turned out to be RB - now wouldn't that be a peach?

The other section of my post is opinion, nothing more.

Cheers

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Sorry, I should finish this story....

They were married in 200 when RB divorced Ms Blight and had a happy honeymoon and couple of years marriage. It all fell apart late 2004 early 2005 and the joining ended in divorce in 2006.

The divorce is finalised but the final settlement still to be reached.

So are the days of our lives!