With the emergence of Gilbert, BJ or Chips to HF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

With the emergence of Gilbert, BJ or Chips to HF?

Just looking ahead a bit ...

We have seen the emergence of Sam Gilbert this season, and he has become an excellent player for us.

He is capable of playing key defence on a tall forward for the opposition, but is equally damaging with his run off the half-back line.

In the long-term, he will become an important key defender for us

Maxie is in great form, and should play on in 2008.

So that leaves us with Hudghton, Maguire, S. Fisher, Goddard and Gilbert capable of playing tall in the backline, and rebounding when required.

Gilbert was a great success up forward earlier in the year, but considering that he is most likely to become a key defender in the future, is it worth shifting Goddard or Chips to the forwardline?

I know BJ was playing more of the sweeper role, and pushing up into the midfield, but I still think we have one too many flankers down there ...

The risk is that you unsettle the backline, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Realistically against most sides, Maxie takes the #1 forward, Goose at CHB and Gilbert the third tall (or small if required).

Either BJ pushes up and becomes a permanent midfielder ... or you move Chips to half-forward.

IMO both can't survive in the same backline since the emergence of Gilbo ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Bj as a forward would be awsome. We've seen glimpses of it. Bj at Half forward would utilize all his strengths. If he got the ball within 55m then he is probably our best kick for goal in the team and in range. If he gets it within 70-80m from goal he can hit up a leading forward lace out.

Bj would probably end up with a few goals and even more assists.

Carpe Diem
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

To be honest...

I really see the value of having a number of tallish/medium/tall players that you can throw at either end for similar impact. Obviously these boys (Gilbo, Chips, BJ etc) would play at either end or on the wing depending on appropriate match-ups on a weekly basis. Would be a major selection headache for opposition coaches...

The Saints are coming!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Or Gram.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I would say;

Ease BJ into things over the 1st 1/2 of 2008 (remember how long it took Lenny to come good). For that reason I would play him as a pinch hitting HFF/FP whilst he regains his touch. Beyond that, it could be horses for courses with a number of guys meaning we have an advantage in the element of surprise.

The way Sam Gilbert plays reminds me a little bit of a young Spud, a little bit of a young Max, only a little bit more than both at the same stage. If he follows the path of either or both of those gentlemen I will be very happy with him !!
Last edited by Eastern on Mon 13 Aug 2007 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Assuming of course that Gilbo maintains his 2007 form next year..and theres nothing to suggest that we wont..Id be bringing BJ back from his knee reco (and theres no guarantee hes a Round 1 starter) on the HF line.

The last thing BJ needs after a knee op I reckon is the hurly-burly of the midfield. He ideally might yet be that 3rd forward "decoy" that weve been screaming for.

Chipper does his best work off HB. Whilst his evasiveness and ability to find space in traffic are great..his kicking accuracy, whilst serviceable, isnt up to multiple set shots at goal IMHO.

Gilbo's emergence hopefully will allow Grammy toplay more of a WIngers role. Run, break lines and kick long. Sat Night showed that if dragged deep into defence he is vulnerable.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

BJ is great as a sweeper/quaterback type.

He takes a great overhead mark when playing lose and fitness permitted, would like to see him resume that role.

with a team who continues to play "chipolotto", i would like to see him breaking lines with 60m kicks again.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert to be the king of swing fora couple of sesons and then he will settle into being an awesome CHB.

You want 10 odd players to be art of the midfield...and BJ will assist with that without be a key midfielder.

He will be a backfielder....but yes will also play HF at times.

Gram to be feed up for more midfield...wing time....and Brammy loves a goal and will be used more often as a pathway to goals.

Sam Fisher to stay back...

Goose to be CHB in 2008...and max at FB.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i would probably go a different way with Gilbert than what everyone is saying

if his game continues to improve and grow on what it is at this year, than in a couple of years i could see him dominating in the midfield, with his strength and ability to break tackles, run fast and kick long, why couldn't he play in a "kouta" role?

isn't his pace what our midfield needs?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:i would probably go a different way with Gilbert than what everyone is saying

if his game continues to improve and grow on what it is at this year, than in a couple of years i could see him dominating in the midfield, with his strength and ability to break tackles, run fast and kick long, why couldn't he play in a "kouta" role?

isn't his pace what our midfield needs?
interesting way of looking at it..not sure if it is ideal but no reason why it shouldnt be tried.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Carl Mynott
Club Player

What's the grand plan for Jarryd Allen when he's fit and firing

The more things change the more they stay the same
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Carl Mynott wrote:What's the grand plan for Jarryd Allen when he's fit and firing
Future FB I would think. If neither Watts or Brooks come on in the forward line he might get a go there.

carn_sainter
Club Player

i see allen as our next key defender and not gilbert

gilbert has all the skills of a great wingman...

goddard's disposal is too good to take away from the back half/midfield

i mean, all players will swap and rotate so yes he'll spend some time forward but i like his disposal setting us up, not finishing us off

sam fisher is a very good defender and i don't see him going anywhere either

i think lyon would look at raph as a hff...he could be a very good one

maybe fergus comes along and he plays FF, maybe gardiner comes along and he plays ruck, so maybe kosi plays CHF letting roo do more a hff role?

there are way too many variables

all positions are way too plastic nowadays anyway...its not like the old days of you play here for the whole game and you play here

far too dynamic

so, the conclusion of my thoughts is;

goddard better with the options in front of him, not the goals...

gilbert has too much going for him to play a key defender, unless absolutely needed

allen will be a very competent tall

there's no point taking a sam fisher away from the HBF which he has basically mastered

there are way too many long term and in game variables to pigeon hole players like this

lyon knows what is best and will do it

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert will play on a HFF

We've been crying out for a tough, meduim sized, hardworking flanker since Hamil went down

RL has REFUSED to give Ferguson ago so IMO Gilbert gets the gig

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is a bit narrow across the shoulders and may not develop the size to be a key backman.

Jarryd Allen will hopefully be our next full back. The people I have spoken to who have seen him play are absolutely rapt in the guy and have no doubt he will make it.

In 2009 our starting 18 could look like this

L.Fisher Allen Gilbert
Gram Maguire S.Fisher
Goddard Ball Dal Santo
Montagna Riewoldt R.Clarke
X.Clarke Koschitzke Watts

Van Rheenen Armitage Hayes

In that group there will only be one player over the age of 26, with 15 of the 18 aged 25 or younger. If the club can draft three or four quality youngsters in the next two national drafts, then in 2009 we can still be a very good team with flag aspirations. With luck, guys like Howard and Ferguson might also flourish in the meantime.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Gilbert is a bit narrow across the shoulders and may not develop the size to be a key backman.

Jarryd Allen will hopefully be our next full back. The people I have spoken to who have seen him play are absolutely rapt in the guy and have no doubt he will make it.

In 2009 our starting 18 could look like this

L.Fisher Allen Gilbert
Gram Maguire S.Fisher
Goddard Ball Dal Santo
Montagna Riewoldt R.Clarke
X.Clarke Koschitzke Watts

Van Rheenen Armitage Hayes

In that group there will only be one player over the age of 26, with 15 of the 18 aged 25 or younger. If the club can draft three or four quality youngsters in the next two national drafts, then in 2009 we can still be a very good team with flag aspirations. With luck, guys like Howard and Ferguson might also flourish in the meantime.
Looks great doesn't it, how awesome would it be if this group stayed together and played most of 2008 - 09.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
Carl Mynott wrote:What's the grand plan for Jarryd Allen when he's fit and firing
Future FB I would think. If neither Watts or Brooks come on in the forward line he might get a go there.
Allen seems pretty talented, I reckon it'd be a waste having him at FB. Not sure where else he would play.

Carpe Diem
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Allen is pretty handy in the forward line too Saint Corin.