Monash Uni (Clayton Campus) ..new training base???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Monash Uni (Clayton Campus) ..new training base???

I was hoping to read something on the forum today on this as......

I heard on 3AWs Rumour File this morning that the Saints new training base would be at Monash Uni.....

Now it is not called the rumour file for no good reason....

But had anyone heard any whispers?????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

My initial reaction is: great idea!! :)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The sports facilities there aren't too crash hot, there's a rather overcrowded Gym, but at least there's a decent size pool.

Would be great to drop down there between lectures and watch the guys train, although i'm finishing there this year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:My initial reaction is: great idea!! :)
indeed...as the ide would be to link in with some sports medicine boffins......and no doubt have some new and shared sports facilities witha group that would appreciate it...

Speculating that as the land would I assume be Federal...that they can get around Council Planning restrictions (note I am talking for training here...and NOT pokies..)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:The sports facilities there aren't too crash hot, there's a rather overcrowded Gym, but at least there's a decent size pool.

But would that not be the point....and the argument for the various Stae and Federal Governments to chip ina few million each....that the saints geta new ehnaced facility, but that the community gains too by getting new and enhanced facilities..

If Monsah already had it all...there would be no case....

The Peanut
Club Player

Don't they mean the Monash sporting campus down down kings park way?
If so that was mentioned months ago regarding a location that was under review by the club.

I believe that this location will be a high priority location if it can be arranged as it is half way between the dome and moorabbin - easy access to the city for corporate partners, press etc if admin is also included.

Edit: I had a look around and couldn't find anything to back up what I said . . . so I will bow out of the above statement - however I was sure there was some land owned by Monash down kings park way that had been mentioned in the past . . .
Last edited by The Peanut on Mon 13 Aug 2007 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We (the saints) actually trained at the Clayton Campus more than a few times over the past 3 or 4 years, although i'm not sure what the relationship was like between the two (St. KFC and MU).

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/monmag/is ... sport.html
The university will create a Centre for Sporting Excellence to develop sports management and physical activity pro-grams and to undertake related research in collaboration with top-level professional sporting organisations.

Strategic alliances have already been established with national sports teams including the Liberty Giants basketballers and the St Kilda Football Club, while strong relationships have been formed with the Australian Institute of Sport, Australian Swimming, Athletics Australia and the Victorian Cricket Association.
there hasn't been much said about it since that time

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
super dooper
Club Player

That would be awsome for me
Id go watch them in my breaks!!!

The ground is in pristine condition, a joy to run on

Maybe we could get on the good side of the umpires when they train every wednesday down at the oval.

As for the gym it needs a very big renovation - the weights are still in pounds FFS.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

looks like my future is secured at monash uni NOW!! :wink: :wink:
if the rumour turns out true... more incentive to go to monash!!

EDIT post 1000!! congrats to me!

Go saints in '09!
Liam_G
Club Player

The umpires use Monash Clayton as a training base. My few years of living on campus there mean any view of mine would be biased. I would love it. But from the club's point of view, would it be that good of an idea?

super dooper
Club Player

Liam_G wrote:The umpires use Monash Clayton as a training base. My few years of living on campus there mean any view of mine would be biased. I would love it. But from the club's point of view, would it be that good of an idea?
Did u ever find it tempting to yell things out at them??

I know now, when i walk to my car and see the likes of Mclaren, Vozzo, goldspink & gehsem walk directly past me i have to fight the urge to give them crap, especially last semester when i finished at 5pm on wednesdays theyd always be arriving at the same time

From the clubs POV maybe butterss can whip out his cheque book and transform the place, atm its prob not suitable for an AFL club when u look at the likes of collingwood, wce, adel, bris, syd etc their facilties are simply awsome, monash is no where near that standard unfortunately

Their main oval is a high priority. During summer they forfieted water to 3 other grounds so that they could use that water on the main oval and didnt let anyone kick the footy on there unless u booked to go on the oval.

casey scorp
Club Player

Most recent reference to university as a possible option was July 13:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 91765.html

Extract:

ST KILDA'S search for a new home has been widened to include Monash University and a cricket ground in Glen Waverley.

The club has held preliminary discussions with university administrators about building an elite training centre, originally planned for Moorabbin, at the Clayton campus of the university.

"We have had some discussions with Monash University and Monash council … we might follow them up in a couple of weeks' time and they might come back to us," Saints chief executive Archie Fraser said. He said the talks had been "initial discussions to see whether it could work".

The campus joins other options for the club, including staying at Moorabbin, returning to the Junction Oval or relocating to Casey Fields in Cranbourne. Fraser said the club hoped to decide on its favoured option within six to eight weeks.

There's not much more in the article.

Nick_DalSantos_Girll
Club Player

omggg..there is a bus from like my house straight there takes like 20mins omgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

anddd my schools like right near theree too omgggggggz

wowowowowwowowowowoww

rozannanazar.blogspot.com
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Would love them to move to Glen Waverely.
I could go to training all the time :D

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
my les foote
Club Player

Nick_DalSantos_Girll wrote:omggg..there is a bus from like my house straight there takes like 20mins omgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

anddd my schools like right near theree too omgggggggz

wowowowowwowowowowoww
Well that settles it then.

No need to bring in the consultants, the decision has been made.

Win it for HIM!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

dont know why you are all bothering with suggested moves, when the answer is frankston without a shadow of a doubt :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

can't see us establishing much of a supporter base in that area or owning our own bit of property

pass 4 me

super dooper
Club Player

skeptic wrote:can't see us establishing much of a supporter base in that area or owning our own bit of property

pass 4 me
Its 10 mins if that from Waverly Park - From memory (now i was young when we played at waverly), but we attracted pretty good crowds down there

Doesnt this constitute a supporter base?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

ST KILDA'S search for a new home has been widened to include Monash University and a cricket ground in Glen Waverley.

The club has held preliminary discussions with university administrators about building an elite training centre, originally planned for Moorabbin, at the Clayton campus of the university.

"We have had some discussions with Monash University and Monash council … we might follow them up in a couple of weeks' time and they might come back to us," Saints chief executive Archie Fraser said. He said the talks had been "initial discussions to see whether it could work".

The campus joins other options for the club, including staying at Moorabbin, returning to the Junction Oval or relocating to Casey Fields in Cranbourne. Fraser said the club hoped to decide on its favoured option within six to eight weeks.
There's not much more in the article.

Thanks for that Casey Scorp. Couldnt see that on any internet newspapers today. Am a bit lost on this, as I thought we were staying at Linton St

casey scorp
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:Thanks for that Casey Scorp. Couldnt see that on any internet newspapers today. Am a bit lost on this, as I thought we were staying at Linton St
Not today's papers, but a month ago. It's old news!

No decision yet on whether it's Linton Street or a move. If it's a move I reckon it will be to Casey Fields, but my money would be on staying at Moorabbin.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:Its 10 mins if that from Waverly Park - From memory (now i was young when we played at waverly), but we attracted pretty good crowds down there

Doesnt this constitute a supporter base?
Fair point.

What I meant was, Moorabbin is a St.Kilda area, we have members in Moorabbin because that's where the saints are based.

If we were going to move, I'd like to move to an area where we become part of the furniture... embraced by the locals

The opportunity here is to go to a council that wants us, buy our own bit of land, build an elite training facility that can be open to that community and grow roots into that community.

IMO Casey Fields offers closest to that, but I dunno

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Instead of shifting, why can't we just rebuild Moorabbin?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
casey scorp
Club Player

1/ Relationship with Council will need mending in a big way, but obviously if the right commercial deal can be done then commonsense would suggest that the relationship issue would be overcome.

2/ Cost - it costs more for an elite training/admin facility than the funds available. So creative approaches are needed.

3/ Relationship with Council gets in the way of creativity.

4/ Better options are available - ie Casey Fields.