Absolutely must prevent a Geelong flag this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If the GF turns out to be the Cats vs the Swans, I don't know what I am going to do.

Well, actually, I do. I'm going to hold my nose and support the Cats. I am incapable of supporting the Swans, anywhere, anytime, playing anyone.

Not only are they our true traditional enemies (a fact that seems to have become lost in the translation from South Melbourne to Sydney), but they play a boring, dirty, cheating, whinging, ugly brand of football.

And Boofhead got to hold up the cup in a GF that even he thought he shouldn't have been allowed to play in.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:If the GF turns out to be the Cats vs the Swans, I don't know what I am going to do.

Well, actually, I do. I'm going to hold my nose and support the Cats. I am incapable of supporting the Swans, anywhere, anytime, playing anyone.

Not only are they our true traditional enemies (a fact that seems to have become lost in the translation from South Melbourne to Sydney), but they play a boring, dirty, cheating, whinging, ugly brand of football.

And Boofhead got to hold up the cup in a GF that even he thought he shouldn't have been allowed to play in.
if the cats and swans play this years GF, i will not watch, and that is coming from a someone who dares not miss football's biggest game of the year. i just don't think i could do it.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If they win, shouldn't be thinking about ways to emulate them so that we can win one as quickly as possible?

I say learn from them, and see where we can improve and surpass them and the rest of the competition.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:If they win, shouldn't be thinking about ways to emulate them so that we can win one as quickly as possible?

I say learn from them, and see where we can improve and surpass them and the rest of the competition.

agree 100%. They are the measuring stick and have been exceptional this season (what club who have won something like 14on the trot aren't?).

i just despise them that is all

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

generally I've lost interest in teams not st kilda.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

As much as I despise them.......

They deserve to win the flag - they are an awesome attacking unit with class all over the park and a pretty miserly defence to boot.

For people to come out and say that they will be barracking for an interstate team if they play off against the Cats is plain ridiculous.

We have all bleated and moaned and whinged about interstate teams getting the rub of the green. Now we're quite happy for them to knock off a Victorian team just because of petty gripes in the past.

Because I guarantee it, if an interstate team knocks off Geelong in the Grand Final there will be a huge % of forumites out there who will be sooking at yet another interstate Premiership......
Last edited by TimeToShineFellas on Mon 13 Aug 2007 3:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

One of my best friends is a Cats supporter. Trying very hard to be happy for him. He knows how much I hate Geelong, but I'm just trying to be as enthusiastic for him as he has been for me & my team over the last few years. I'm fighting a losing battle. :?

supersaints
Club Player

Geelong will lose it (if they make it ! )
I am yet to be convinced, I think they will probably implode (as usual)
It is their destiny ..... their karmic path.................always...
It would be nice to see them bow out of the finals without a win
I have spoken.......................

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
SB10
Club Player

Only way Geelong will win the flag is playing another Victorian club. If it's West Coast or Sydney (or even Port) they'll get beaten IMO. These teams just know how to win on the big stage. The pressure of a Grand Final will be too great against an opponent that's been there and done it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I'll be pleased for Geelong if they go all the way. Much like Saints fans. Long suffering and starved of success. And I'm sure I have most of the WA members of the forum in agreeance when I say, please god, anyone but the bloody Weagles. I couldn't bear their gloating all over again.
For those of you who don't live in the West, just as an example, last week an entire Today Tonight ( don't usually watch that crap but was surfing and it caught my eye) episode was dedicated to a virtual game between the Eagles of 2006 and the Eagles of 1994. Interviews with Glen Jakovich, Dean Kemp, Peter Wilson, Sumich, Ashley Hansen etc ad nauseum about how they'd go matched up against the other team. The whole box and dice, pre-game summaries of Glass vs Sumich, Kemp vs Cousins etc. Then they computer generated an entire game and played the last five minutes on TV with Karl Langdon and Scott Watters commentating.
The Eagles and their fans are so far up their own clacker it should be illegal. Please God, anyone but them.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If they win, shouldn't be thinking about ways to emulate them so that we can win one as quickly as possible?

isnt that what we tried with essendon, brisbane and now (apparently) sydney?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Emulate Geelong?

Get 5 cheap father & sons selections for nothing & then boast that they have built a team without early draft picks!

Gary Ablett, Nathan Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Hawkins, Mark Blake, etc, etc...all with pick 25+

I wouldn't mind Geelong if that smug prick Thompson wasn't in charge.

StSteven
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Emulate Geelong?

Get 5 cheap father & sons selections for nothing & then boast that they have built a team without early draft picks!

Gary Ablett, Nathan Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Hawkins, Mark Blake, etc, etc...all with pick 25+

I wouldn't mind Geelong if that smug prick Thompson wasn't in charge.
That is ridiculous.......No one would have picked those players except Hawkins.

Who would have picked Nathan, never played in anything but country football club.

Many clubs could have had Selwood but they overlooked him. Geelong have recruited extremely well.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

spyglass wrote:If we don't win it I hope Geelong win the GF..........
Couldn't agree more :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:I'll be pleased for Geelong if they go all the way. Much like Saints fans. Long suffering and starved of success. And I'm sure I have most of the WA members of the forum in agreeance when I say, please god, anyone but the bloody Weagles. I couldn't bear their gloating all over again.
For those of you who don't live in the West, just as an example, last week an entire Today Tonight ( don't usually watch that crap but was surfing and it caught my eye) episode was dedicated to a virtual game between the Eagles of 2006 and the Eagles of 1994. Interviews with Glen Jakovich, Dean Kemp, Peter Wilson, Sumich, Ashley Hansen etc ad nauseum about how they'd go matched up against the other team. The whole box and dice, pre-game summaries of Glass vs Sumich, Kemp vs Cousins etc. Then they computer generated an entire game and played the last five minutes on TV with Karl Langdon and Scott Watters commentating.
The Eagles and their fans are so far up their own clacker it should be illegal. Please God, anyone but them.
ohhh that was logie winning tv that wasnt it :roll: i had to turn the tv off i serioulsy rolled my eyes soooo much they damn near fell out
then the next day listening to the eagles fans go on and on and on bout how great it was
i would rather see geelong win backto back flags then westcoast win it ever again !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:[
ohhh that was logie winning tv that wasnt it :roll: i had to turn the tv off i serioulsy rolled my eyes soooo much they damn near fell out
then the next day listening to the eagles fans go on and on and on bout how great it was
i would rather see geelong win backto back flags then westcoast win it ever again !!!

yep Trav. Ferkin unbelievable. I was going to turn it off then I thought it's got to end soon and bugger me if it didn't go for 25 minutes. Top current affairs TV. I'm with you, may West Coast never win a flag again. May their players all succumb to mysterious injuries at crucial times, may they all be sprung as drug cheats, may they're arrogant, gloating, ignorant, uber parochial fans suffer en masse for years on end.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Hear, hear. Depsite that, I couldn't really give a toss who wins if the Saints aren't in it. So long as the beer flows and the waitress is naked I can quite honestly tell you somebody will have to tell me the next day who won anyway. Without a vested interest in the game, the actual event becomes a whole lot less stressful and whole lot more merry, with the game a mere sideshow to the procession of a good day with the boys ridiculing those going for the losing team.

wallbanger
Club Player

Whilst I begrudgingly admire the way they are playing, I couldn't stand it if Geelong win the flag.

You oughta try living in the town, listening to all their spanker supporters telling everyone else how they have got it in the bag. Surely they should no better?

Credit to them - they are playing great footy, but I hope like hell they don't take it out - pretty much only because of that whining little weasel Thompson.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:

isnt that what we tried with essendon, brisbane and now (apparently) sydney?
Trying and succeeding are two different things, n1ck.

Not one of the above teams had a crap midfield, either.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

All I ask is that the long suffering cats fans suffer a lot longer.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If the premiership went out to the side who deserved to win it,you'd hand it to the cats now. You only have to lose one however, so nothings a certainty.

West Coast and Sydney are the dangers,but if Geelong are still playing in 6 weeks time like they are now,they'll be very very hard to beat.

Playing the best footy consistantly through a home and away season since the bombers of 2000.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Well I thought we were going to win the GF at about round 18 or so in 1997.

Then Smith did his knee, and Lazar his knee , and Spider his shoulder and Young his back ...and certain players had unforseen family tragedies ....

I dont wish that on any club - but it can all unravel very quickly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

good luck to them if they win it.

they seem to have learned a lot from the beltings we gave them in recent history and are now playing the sort of risk-taking, barnstorming football that deserves to, and often does, win premierships

they stuck to their guns and suddenly it has all clicked into place.

though i'd obviously much rather it was us i don't begrude them a flag if we can't get there

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

They stuck with their coach too. By rights Thompson should have been sacked last year. If he were coaching the saints he would have been sacked a long time ago.

Stkilda love to build something up and then utterly destroy it if it goes slightly wrong. OMG 3 finals series, not good enough.

We MAY have clicked into place this year had we kept the stability of Thomas like Geelong kept the stability of their coach.

I just think Thomas idea of attacking was slightly more effective than Ross Lyons plan of doing....nothing. Stagnating in a quagmire of a backline uselessness. Yes Grant had his problems as well such as trying to run the whole show. But by gum was that attacking football ..a bit more effective and fun to watch.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How sad that people are worried about Geelong winning a flag...

If it ain't St Kilda, it doesn't matter. Scary that this thread is still going :?

Probably says a lot about our supporter mentality, I suppose.