Finey on SEN re Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Finey on SEN re Saints

Interesting analysis of our year.

Stated plainly we are Sydney Phase II.

Puts our lack of success down to the playing group not having the physical - and to a degree mental - conditioning to execute the gameplan.

The constant running and tough work at stoppages. A style based on a Brett Kirk model. And with big emphasis on taking few risks. Possession footy in a nut.

Also believes several of our players are not suited at all to this new style.

Question is - is this the right formula for our team?

Or should we be playing more in the Lions/Geelong attack mode?

Which style suits our crew?

Interesting.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Nick_Stone29
Club Player

Wayne Schwass made the same comments after i think the Freo game . He said the Swans had the same issues when PAul Roos went there. Changes were subsequently made to the list. Some were retired and some were delisted. It sounds very much like we are at now !

SaintDippa
Club Player

Agreed. We have the premier (OK equal with Jonathan Brown) forward in the competion who is wasted taking 12-15 marks a game mainly centre wing. Roo should replace Gehrig and take these marks 30-40 out. And build a game plan to move the flipping thing as fast as possible into teh F50. Sounds to simple and not negative enough.

Also as a side note RL has three weeks to convince me, a supporter since I was 6 (36 years) and member for 20 years to renew my membership (and two sons) or next year. If we continue to play 18 men behind the ball then no way will I be renewing. Time's too precious to waste watching the cr@p being dished up this year.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Also as a side note RL has three weeks to convince me, a supporter since I was 6 (36 years) and member for 20 years to renew my membership (and two sons) or next year. If we continue to play 18 men behind the ball then no way will I be renewing. Time's too precious to waste watching the cr@p being dished up this year.
Having survived Timmy and Blighty and how ever many others and the variations of game plan and player /team make up in between you will ALLOW your children to Turn to the dark side because of a developing game plan?

and I say developing because many of our team are still getting into the Rhythm of One; fitness required and Two: the expectations,
max, matty, Lenny, Fraser, Jason G, Luke, Nick R, Nick D, Kosi, Stevie B, Xavier, Jones, THATS 12 of the team that played last evening have either had little or no preseason, or lingering injury/ pain/ niggles- shouldn't play with niggles: maybe not but they can only get to the 'speed' of todays game and learn to play together when OUT there as a team.

the teams that are flying had full preseason or even early preseasons- Cats and Roos, and or have 3-4 years of TEAM time- Swans and eagles and Hawks.

no excuse- facts,
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 12 Aug 2007 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintDippa
Club Player

I was most disappointed with the 18 men behind the ball approach against the Bulldogs when we were at full strength. That's the same Bulldogs flogged by Eagles and Cats the 2 previous weeks and now Melbourne.

RL is not prepared to back the team to play a expansive attacking game, why??? someone please explain ...... please. The only plan he knows is the Sydney 'tempo' based game were average players play keepings off, zero risk, chip into space, out-of-bounds rather than to a contest, ... . The difference is 4 years experience of playing that style with a team skilled enough to make space, run into space and hit a target 20-30m away 100% of time. A concept that will take ST.K another 2 years to perfect with personnal with the suitable skill level.

A Plan. Yes. Dip's on board? Pass.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I reckon we should have our own style, with aspects of others. Yeah I like the pressure and what not of the sydney game, I do not like the forward pressure resulting in our forwards being out of position come a turnover though. We need to play attacking footy.

Carpe Diem