Can we stop eating our own now??? Please????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Can we stop eating our own now??? Please????

Gee whiz, reading the reaction to last nights loss on here, I thought Id stumbled onto Puntroadend for a minute there. Ive seen some negative stuff on here over the last 4 years or so, but rarely, if ever, have I seen the team as a whole vilified to the extent that it has been since 10.00pm last night!

Now, I will add the proviso that I haven't seen any of the match. I dont doubt we weren't great and had a few passengers. The level of angst though made me check and make sure we didnt actually lose by 120 points.

The attacks on Xavier Clarke IMHO are very very dissapointing. Thought he played his best game for the season last week agaisnt the Bulldogs, but one poor game later he's trade bait, and in the appalingly tasteless opinion of one poster, deserved of Sam Gilberts knee injury :roll: Even Banger hasnt escaped, urged by some to give it away when only 4 weeks ago the mere thought would have sent the same posters Im sure into apoplexy.

Ive had it said to me by a neutral reader of this site thats theres only 3 things happen in the world of Saintsational.

St Kilda play well
St Kilda play badly
The umpires crucify us.

Yep sure. we are one-eyed, we are passioante about the team (even if a few on here want them sent to the knackery right now!) but surely..even just occassionally, theres room for "we were beaten by a better side on the night"?? Ive read two media reports today that had us not playing that badly, just beaten by a side who were more desperate and could finish better.

From here.its simple. We need to win our next 3 games. Not easy I grant you, but at the start of each one the score will be 0-0. Noone gave us a snowballs chance in hell of going to Perth and beating the Eagles, Bangers 350th or not. But we did..and we went on and knocked over two Top 8 aspirants afterwards. It CAN be done..and I reckon we, the diehards who live and breathe the Club, could do a lot worse than to stick around on the bandwagon

So....if someone can come on here and tell everyone to stop celebrating and look ahead, surely I can urge everyone to stop the Tiger-esque cannabalism and look forward to next Saturday afternoon. The 22 blokes who run onto that ground, whether I agree with their selection or not, will be wearing Red White and Black. Thats enough for me..Ill be roaring my support....what about you????

OK jiggingsaint..any time you'd like to wander in and back me up here..before I get torn apart for accepting mediocrity and committing the heinious crime of wearing rose-colured glasses!!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I think that it could be more the way were are playing, our form, selection are our future prospects. You can't help but see that we are struggling. Yeah we just might make the 8, but that is not enough anymore.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
kalsaint
Club Player

I will take the opportunity to back you up.

I too have not seen tha game but listened to several radio commentary teams.

Yes I was bitterly disappointed to hear X missing simple goals but as I said last night " he was not alone". The radio commentary also reflects your comments 66.

X was in the best 6 mentioned for the SAINTS. This was met with dispair, annoyance and plain anger by some.

Clearly the Swans have their ugly style down pat and according to the radio commentary were the more effective kicking side.

The question is "Where to from now"? I wont answer this as I have replied to many posts on this aspect recently.

Next week we should all get one last heave to put us in a posisition of possibly getting a top 8 berth.

When you look at Dockerland, this is what they intend to do. They consider the Saints game a must win venture so they will come to play.
Likewise, we must do the same.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
hamill01
Club Player

I think what frustrates a lot of posters (or at least me) is we are capable of much better. We've shown sparks of amazing heart, courage and football skill (West Coast). The thing is we can never seem consistent with it, whether it be the coach, playing group or selection, we don't seem to be gelling as we should. We always seem to be the team that has the amazing potential to shake the competition, but cannot reach it.

Of course, I will follow St. Kilda next week, next year and the year after that. It just becomes frustrating because we have shown we can do much better.

Hamill, does not play well with others.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can we stop eating our own now??? Please????

saint66au wrote:Now, I will add the proviso that I haven't seen any of the match.
Watch the match and everything will fall in to place. Clarke was absolutely terrible... hell, his turnovers resulting in goals alone probably cost us the game.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
spert
Saintsational Legend

We have to be constructive when looking at how the club will improve. If the team can't win crucial games to get ourselves into the the eight when we have a strong lineup (on paper) then there are problems, same as the problem of going through a season without the ability to kick good winning scores. Sure, there a few players who will probably get the chop at season's end as they are clearly not good enough, but you have to have to look at the team problems and not just a couple of players. I suspect Lyon's coaching style is not suiting the team he inherited, which was pretty much used to an attacking style with not much accountability -OK if things were going your way, but no good when real pressure applied. I saw the replay of yesterday's game and there are deficiencies which stand out. Our midfield is too easily tagged out of the game, and don't get on the scoreboard anywhere near enough, plenty of our big names involved there. Possibly with Roo aside, the forwards are weak in one-on-one contests and cough up the ball too easy, Our backline needs another mobile big body and we need a good ruckman. Until those problems are fixed, then we will tread water.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Fair points but I suppose the overwhelming feeling of being let down again and again sees people vent their frustrations on this web site. Most here would be sensible, reasonable people who don't mean what they type, it's just letting out of the considerable disappointments that we as St.Kilda lovers have always suffered through.

X had a terrible, terrible game, almost Tambling like in it's ineptitude. He can play & we've all seen it. Jason Gram should be taking games over but he doesn't. Dal is a gun but doesn't stand up often enough. Bally is making un-Bally like decisions. The coach hasn't had the effect we all hoped that he would. Fraser is not putting in. Milne still doesn't work hard enough when he doesn't have the ball. All of these things hurt us like hell, especially when all of this happens, we get the worse end of the umpiring and we still only just go down to a club that has played in the last two GF's.

I absolutely hate the fact that we are not playing like we should. I say some terrible things during a frustrating game like last night. I had X delisted, Lyon sacked, Gram beaten with a large stick & Milne set to Siberia.

In the cold hard light of day I get over the hurt til next week...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Fair points but I suppose the overwhelming feeling of being let down again and again sees people vent their frustrations on this web site. Most here would be sensible, reasonable people who don't mean what they type, it's just letting out of the considerable disappointments that we as St.Kilda lovers have always suffered through.

X had a terrible, terrible game, almost Tambling like in it's ineptitude. He can play & we've all seen it. Jason Gram should be taking games over but he doesn't. Dal is a gun but doesn't stand up often enough. Bally is making un-Bally like decisions. The coach hasn't had the effect we all hoped that he would. Fraser is not putting in. Milne still doesn't work hard enough when he doesn't have the ball. All of these things hurt us like hell, especially when all of this happens, we get the worse end of the umpiring and we still only just go down to a club that has played in the last two GF's.

I absolutely hate the fact that we are not playing like we should. I say some terrible things during a frustrating game like last night. I had X delisted, Lyon sacked, Gram beaten with a large stick & Milne set to Siberia.

In the cold hard light of day I get over the hurt til next week...

SaintDippa
Club Player

Answer is simple. We are not used to playing a 18 men behind the ball brand. Simple. We have the team that can play an expansive brand but RL would prefer to win by 20 rather than 60.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What else is there to talk about?

Other than reminiscing over good times, not a lot.

There are lots of good discussions on our players, especially the youngsters and how they are travelling. Everyone is unanimous about Sam Gilbert, Attard has surprised (but is turning in favour with some).