Footskills....is it not rated by those who choose???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Footskills....is it not rated by those who choose???

Last night.....two players with similar opportunities to kick a goal..

McVeigh...slots his 3.

X Clake misses three absolute sodas to get 1 goal 3 behinds.

Footskills....is it not rated by those who choose our players???

Why do so many Saints players have poor footskills??

BJ stands out like beacon in our recruiting in recent years in terms of footskills.

As a group, while our list has various stengths it would have to be about the worst in the competion for footskills: whether it be passing to another player or shots on goal.

So with footskills....is it not rated by those who choose??? Or perhaps it is just not given enough weight when assessing players???

Why are their so many Saints players who make you grimace when they get the ball??

now I do not expect EVERY player to kick like Jarman....but it would sem to me that overall that our footskills are below what is required.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Agree whole heartedly.

The game is FOOTBALL.

To not be able to execute the most basic skill is a blight on the club and the coaching staff.

Why are our players not taught to kick effectively?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think the belief of the powers that be is that footskills can be taught, and footy smarts cannot.

Looking at the success of some of the irishmen, this would show an opposing trend.

kalsaint
Club Player

I still believe speed or perception of pressure by the opposition contributes here.

How often have players ran into goal from 20-30metres out only to score behinds? Answer: Many in the last 5 weeks.

Why? They are not settled balanced, drop the ball incorrectly to foot ie not doing the basics required for quality kicking.

The reason: Perceived pressure or actual pressure, perhaps with communication lacking by other team players when clear. I am not at the game but I clearly remember when others told me I was clear in junior footy I realised I had the time to do execute properly.

I was never much good at the game, I was not that fast as a player but accurate kicking on either foot (albeit it short) was my strong point. I still am bewildered by the amount of easy shots at goal that goe West or East at this level.

I blame speed (lack of it) and team talk for a lot of this inaccurate form at the Saints.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency