How good is Roo?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How good is Roo?

Without a doubt he is the best player in the comp.
What other player in the AFL has to play with 1 arm because his opponent has 'handcuffed' the other arm?

What the hell is going on with Geischen's band of primadonnas? They pay free kicks to 'love children' if you dare to look at them the wrong way and yet Roo can be 'mugged' at every contest and he gets 'looked after once in every 4 or 5 occassions.

Last night was a complete joke. Even the commentators (Dunstall the Dork and Gerrard the Swan) were commenting that Richards was holding Roo at every contest and in same cases there were others blocking him from atacking the ball. And where was umpire Mark Knoffler and his mates Bi and B2? Worrying about serious infractions like kicking the ball after it had gone out of bounds!

The umpires are a bad joke.

I keep hearing from apologists like Derek Humpty-Dumpty that they only pay what they see - this is complete and utter BS. Last night again showed that they pay wht they think they are going to see and they 'guess' decisions too often.
The 'holding the ball' decisions are a prime example - they cannot see if the player on the ground
a) has the ball under him
b) is trying to get it out
c} has an opponent holding it in
and yet they continually pay it against the poor bloke on the ground. It's almost like they are waiting to show us all that beautiful ballet move signifying this free kick. Maybe that's what's really wrong with umpires? They're all ballerina wannabees.

I'm sick to death of hearing the apologists say wrong decisions and non-decisions are because the umpire was in a 'bad position'. WELL GET IN A GOOD POSITION - THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE PAID FOR FFS. It is not a resonable excuse for poor performance by these witchity grubs (you're not allowed to call them maggots anymore).

Richter
SS Life Member

Having been away for a few weeks now coming back and seeing a couple of games "fresh" I have changed my opinion on the WMs. I used to think that they get a raw deal from the public. Now I see that they simply guess too many decisions. A few crucial ones from last night stick out - NDS called for holding the ball. Jason Blake (?) similarly - both led directly to goals. And CJ given a 50m penalty against him. (Mind you, the 50 paid to Lenny was pretty ridiculous too.)

It's fairly plain that they make up a lot of decisions. WHen a whistle goes at a centre clearance or ball-up, you just have to look at the players to see how baffled they are. Players from both team had absolutely no idea what the supposed infringements were.

If we're not careful the umps are going to turn the game into the lottery which is rugby union.
Last edited by Richter on Sun 12 Aug 2007 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

agree...

WHAT THE HELL DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET A FREE KICK IN OUR FWD50?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

0 Possessions in the final quarter vs Sydney.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: How good is Roo?

Mr Magic wrote:Last night again showed that they pay wht they think they are going to see and they 'guess' decisions too often.
In one of the FTA matches yesterday, a holding the ball decision was paid as a player was tackled to the ground, he got a clear handball away and we saw this as the camera had the perfect angle on it. The umpire was BEHIND both players, and would have only seen the ball coming out, and guessed that he was incorrect disposal.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: How good is Roo?

Otiman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Last night again showed that they pay wht they think they are going to see and they 'guess' decisions too often.
In one of the FTA matches yesterday, a holding the ball decision was paid as a player was tackled to the ground, he got a clear handball away and we saw this as the camera had the perfect angle on it. The umpire was BEHIND both players, and would have only seen the ball coming out, and guessed that he was incorrect disposal.
My point exactly - why is this acceptable? Why aren't eh players, coaches, media and fans demanding that these professional ballerina wannabees get it right. If they don't see it, then don't pay it.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn wrote:agree...

it is pretty simple remove the black from our jumper and move the club to NSW!

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:

Or remove the red and move to Lickar$e Centre.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
redwhite&blackblood wrote:

Or remove the red and move to Lickar$e Centre.
Or remove the White appoint Sheedy head coach and youi can get away with anything!

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

How good is Roo?

As good as anyone in the current competition.

He is an out and out, absolute superstar and anyone who says otherwise has rocks in their heads.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

before the game on foxtel they showed the best mark iv have ever seen, ever.

made by nick riewoldt, courage...courage...courage!

forget the high flyers from Gary Ablett snr or tarrant or Morcroft...this is what a real mark is

yes...the mark is the one in my avatar

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Have to agree Saintbot, absolute joke that it didn't win Mark of the Year. Not a huge fan of Roo, but have to admit he is a champion player. Has really come of age this season I feel. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he is made captain in his own right next season.

savatage
SS Life Member

snoopygirl wrote: Not a huge fan of Roo, but have to admit he is a champion player.
How does that make any sense? You are or you aren't a fan?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Don't particularly like him as a person from what I have seen, however, I can recognise that he is a great player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Roo is a great player but not the best in the comp. J brown for one is better. As for him not getting all the frees. He gets the most in the comp. Of course a few are missed but I think he gets his fair share.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Don't particularly like him as a person from what I have seen, however, I can recognise that he is a great player.
i get what you mean...he is sort of like Lleyton Hewitt to me...ill support him (and sort of like him) because he is a good player, playing for my team but if he was on another team i would absouletely loath him

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Roo is a great player but not the best in the comp. J brown for one is better. As for him not getting all the frees. He gets the most in the comp. Of course a few are missed but I think he gets his fair share.
couldn't possibly be because he is the most infringed player in the comp by any chance....... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Roo is a great player but not the best in the comp. J brown for one is better. As for him not getting all the frees. He gets the most in the comp. Of course a few are missed but I think he gets his fair share.
couldn't possibly be because he is the most infringed player in the comp by any chance....... :roll: :roll:
Maybe but I think those rose coloured glasses are coming out. He is a champ but not the best.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66, I was being a little facetious in my op, but the point is that if every infringement against him was paid he would get 10 free kicks a game.

I'm not sure what relevance the fact that he receives more free kicks than most has? He is entitled to a free kick every time he is infringed and it appears quite obvious to me that opposition coaches are instructing their defenders, whom they know are incapable of beating Roo legitimately 1 on 1, to hold him, and chop his arms at every opportunity. Maybe thye know the umpires won't pay them all and are gambling that he won't get paid enough to affect the end result?

There is no question in my mind that there have been games, like last night, when there was a deliberate tactic employed to hold Roo's arm adn stop him from going at the ball. What frustrates me and many other Saints supporters is that if we can all se it, why the hell can't the umpires see it?