So who'd like to do what now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

So who'd like to do what now?

Been thinking bout this long before tonights game and have posted similar....

Ok we buts a boiler and make the 8. Awesome. Are we going anywhere in there this year - ask yourself honestly?...I dont see it.

That said we have 2 options:

1. Go for broke - persist with the names (Gehrigs etc) and try to make finals

or

2. Play Armo, Gwilts, Brooks, Mqualters etc and make some decisions/get some games into them while sending Luke Ball off for an early xmas along with Gehrig, Harvey, Lenny etc and maybe take a lower season finish and a higher draft pick??????

I still think the 8 is very doable - in many ways for me beating Sydney up there was tougher IMO than West Coast in Melb....but Im more wondering is it really worth it?

whats your thoughts?

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

We are still a finals chance...next week we must put our best 22 out there..not saying there shouldnt be changes but we cannot rest blokes yet

IF we lose next week...get back to me ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I live in hope.

It's a shame Teflon because IMO this is the year our 2004 team would have won the flag but we just haven't been able to put it together.

IMO we can beat any of Geel, Kang, Haw, Coll on any given day at the MCG...
If we were playing well, I'd back us against Sydney and a weakened WCE too anywhere

I could see us beating Port and Bris in Melb

Part of me really hopes that if we can just creep into the finals, the cards could fall our way and we could draw a number of teams at the G and get on a bit of a roll

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Totally hear ya Skeptic and thats been my hope also.......a "lets get in there and see what we can do should we magically turn it on..."....Im just struggling to see the overall benefits...especially if we limp into 8th....

Then you think aboyut the year in totality...and you start to say...gee weve had some cr@pola injuries again (no not an excuse - fact) AND many players who have had interrupted pre seasons and poor bases to come off....I also look at Lenny/Ball - 2 midfield prime movers who to me HAVE to be right in 08 cause we cant be having this discussion again in 12 mths...FFS lets just get em right!...........its probably that last bit that makes me think the most.............maybe we shouldnt worry boyut finals right now.....a "lose the battle win the war" sort of approach.

The worm turned for Girlong (who I still think we trouble very much) and it can fior us also in 08.

“Yeah….nah””
kalsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Totally hear ya Skeptic and thats been my hope also.......a "lets get in there and see what we can do should we magically turn it on..."....Im just struggling to see the overall benefits...especially if we limp into 8th....

Then you think aboyut the year in totality...and you start to say...gee weve had some cr@pola injuries again (no not an excuse - fact) AND many players who have had interrupted pre seasons and poor bases to come off....I also look at Lenny/Ball - 2 midfield prime movers who to me HAVE to be right in 08 cause we cant be having this discussion again in 12 mths...FFS lets just get em right!...........its probably that last bit that makes me think the most.............maybe we shouldnt worry boyut finals right now.....a "lose the battle win the war" sort of approach.

The worm turned for Girlong (who I still think we trouble very much) and it can fior us also in 08.

Sorry I have turned into doom and gloom with recent performances.

If we make the 8 (and I rate this about 20% now) we make fodder for the team who gets to play us. If we scrape home in the first final we wont hold up for 4 quarters in the next one. We haven't now for more than 1 of 7 games. This is not the type of effort we need to go into finals with. Just dont see this part of our game changing when we always look tired in the last quarter.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Been pushing for the kids since the day we lost to the Roos.

However, this being the weakest finals line-up in recent history, you have to chase 8th.

Cuts me to the bone, because we need the next generation something chronic.

This is very 1999, not 2003.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints43
Club Player

We have to put the best team on the park as long as we are in finals contention.

It's a funny old game...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:We have to put the best team on the park as long as we are in finals contention.

It's a funny old game...
Given the state of our list, I'd say you're crazy not to fill the team with kids, but given the state of the eight - and how pathetically weak it is and that we COULD beat any team in there - I have to agree.

I was really hoping to see game time in Watts, R Clarke, McQualter, Gwilt, Ferguson and Sweeney...but it looks like we'll have to wait until next year, which could be a real train-wreck of a season if we have a few injuries, and these guys have to come in 'green'. Although it would be nice to have them knocking down the door with some stellar performances over the next month, wouldn't it?

Would give the place a big boost into 2008. Even some time into Armo and Howard - god, even Raymond - might shake a few of the oldies up, too.

I fear we're a bit stale.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Fight out the year.

We could beat any team in the 8 as long as certain things happen.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:We are still a finals chance...next week we must put our best 22 out there..not saying there shouldnt be changes but we cannot rest blokes yet

IF we lose next week...get back to me ;-)
we would probably do bettter with some young guys in the side....couldn't do any worse........oh...ps ...i am starting to think that our coach needs to rethink his game plan...or f*** off......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bozza1980
Club Player

When your situation with 3 games to go is; win 3 games play finals, you play your best team.

As the old saying goes were there is life there is hope, if you make the 8 you are a chance. I still like our chances against the likes of Hawthorn, Kangaroos and Collingwood, which means if we get there we're a chance of getting to the big games.

While our destiny is in our hands you go all out to make it.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Go for broke with the best players for the job, play players with consistent form in the VFL.

This means - Drop Jones, X. Clarke, L. Fisher, and quite possibly Blake and Gehrig.
Bring in - Birss, Thommo, Armitage, McQualter, Brooks and Watts. Perhaps not all at once though. Wholesale changes like that can really shake up the team structure.

In my opinion, we have to field a less defensive team. Regardless of whether we continue with the defensive gameplan.