Once again we barely score 10 goals in a game of footy ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Once again we barely score 10 goals in a game of footy ...

It's not good enough.

Coach and players - they are in it together.

You cannot win football matches with 9 goals.

I could excuse it earlier in the year because of our number of injuries and the side we had on the park.

But not anymore.

Lyon, you are a disgrace. You were fundamentally outcoached tonight and persisted with several matchups that clearly were not working.

I can understand that the gamestyle takes time to implement, but it's not like we played our best foot of the year and lost tonight.

It was your job to prepare the players for a big game, and their ball movement and the structure of the team should have been adapted for this.

You failed miserably Lyon, and must cop it.

I have been a supporter of Lyon, and in the long-term I still believe he will be a solid coach.

But tonight was a disgraceful effort from him.

And the players should take their fair share of responsibility.

Gehrig was disgraceful and made little effort. I can understand us losing because our players do not have the ability (e.g. Rix), but when Gehrig, Dal Santo, Harvey, X, Fiora, Kosi and Riewoldt do not perform, then they must cop some flack.

Collectively, the playing group were not desperate enough.

That comes down to leadership and the desire of the group.

That was a game that required more character and effort from the playing group than was received.

It is an accurate reflection of where the club is at at the current point in time.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
|Andy|
Club Player

i concur. goals are hard to come by for our games...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Once again we barely score 10 goals in a game of footy .

Oh When the Saints wrote:I have been a supporter of Lyon, and in the long-term I still believe he will be a solid coach.
Do you really believe this OWTS, or is it just a mantra? What did we see tonight (or last week or the week before) that suggests that Lyon is going to be a solid coach?

I'm not trying to be argumentative (so put the gun back in the holster, Teflon), I'm just interested in why you, and a number of other posters on this forum whom I consider to be quite rational, continue to believe that Lyon has promise as a coach?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
hotdish
Club Player

The amount of goals we kick relates to the style and tempo of the game.

Do you think that if we played at TD the game would have been the same? NO

Telstra Stadium is one of the smallest grounds in the AFL - easy to clog up - Sydney play that sort of game, you can't just say, oh well, it doesn't matter - it does.

Nathine29

We are averaging 81 points a game this year, 16th in the league. We are not Sydney and cannot play their way. Our natural flair combines well with an attacking coach like our previous one. Ross Lyon could be a good coach elsewhere, but not in a team with such attacking potential as ours. Geelong have now taken our mantle I am sad to say

hotdish
Club Player

I think when it comes to average, who cares.

The reality is that in the first 6-8, there was a transition period, trying to implement the game plan etc.

if you take an average of the second half of our season, you will see the true st kilda team, with its full player list, that it can score 15+ games a week...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hard to see why a team with several of the best forwards in the game cannot put scores on the board.

Nathine29

In 2004-2006 we had only one game plan

Attack

Why would Lyon want to complicate things?

And as for scoring 15+ goals the second half of the season, think about this.

We beat Carlton by 10 points.

All out attack meant we routinely destroyed them the previous few years.

Our players should take it upon themselves to play how we used to.

I can hardly see the coach dropping our first 22 for all going against the game plan.
Last edited by Nathine29 on Sat 11 Aug 2007 11:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Nathine29 wrote:In 2004-2006 we had only one game plan

Attack

Why would Lyon want to complicate things?
don't ask me. ask the board

The Sainter
Club Player

Surely Lyon was joking when he said he wanted Gehrig to play again next year. he is gone for all money. He has not averaged 2 goals a game in matches he has played in which we have lost in his career which tells you something. most of his goals come from spills on the ground as he has continually refused to fly for a contested mark. He may as well stayed off the ground tonight after quarter time. But then again he might be classed as never to be dropped.
It was a terrible game to watch and we must change our style of play as most times it is not working. Goals is the name of the game but we have turned into too much of a defensive team. Look at the number of points we have scored for the year compared to most other teams. Enough said! Jones and Clarke were also ordinary and Dal was found wanting again.

Nathine29

Maybe Fraser is showing his distaste with the Lyon way. Pity a few of our other players dont do the same and we may have a revolt ;-)

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Re: Once again we barely score 10 goals in a game of footy .

meher baba wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:I have been a supporter of Lyon, and in the long-term I still believe he will be a solid coach.
Do you really believe this OWTS, or is it just a mantra? What did we see tonight (or last week or the week before) that suggests that Lyon is going to be a solid coach?

I'm not trying to be argumentative (so put the gun back in the holster, Teflon), I'm just interested in why you, and a number of other posters on this forum whom I consider to be quite rational, continue to believe that Lyon has promise as a coach?
Good question.

A few points.

1. I have seen Lyon coach brilliantly from the box on matchday several times this season - most notably against Adelaide and Hawthorn.

The players followed his instructions in those games and his matchups were excellent and left the opposition coaches floundering.

So he's proved that he has an idea about football in terms of matchups and tactics on gameday.

The thing now is for him to exhibit this on a consistent basis.

2. I have heard anyone interviewed in the media, nor spoken to anyone myself, who doesn't have enormous respect for the way Lyon goes about his work at the club.

You tend to hear whispers when someone is not up to scratch or can't handle the job, and I am yet to hear that about Lyon from anyone I would consider knowledgeable (maybe I'm speaking to the wrong people)

3. I believe he has a good grasp of the fundamentals of football in terms of accountability, pressure and ball movement. I think he is still adapting to the playing group, but I don't question his basic football philosophy in the way I do with Terry Wallace for instance.

Still, Lyon needs to get this philosophy coming through in the players, or it doesn't matter what he believes.

4. A ringing endorsment from Robert Harvey, who is not compelled to say anything of this sort:
Robert Harvey wrote:"I think he's going to be a great coach for us long-term.

"He's got some really basic things that he sees as essential that successful sides need, and I think whether it's later this year or next year or whatever, that the penny will drop with that, and we'll get better and it'll work out. That could happen really quickly. We're confident that it can.

"The main reason I'm confident about that is the amount of work and effort and the commitment he's putting in towards it. I know every coach would be the same, but I reckon the stuff that he finds important and the work that he does put into it is perfect stuff for a modern-day coach.

"It's more than I've seen, and it's new levels for our players, and I reckon in the modern-day game where opposition analysis is at a premium, he leaves no stone unturned."

He's got a great foundation with where he's been, and he's been doing it for 10 years. He knows the business, he knows what's required to win a flag and he knows how to implement it. I reckon he's perfect for it."
That was from The Age after the Saints had lost four matches in a row.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i don't know why we are reverting to a style we played earlier in the season.

that mid season spark had me changing my opinion of RL.

As I said then when the team loses the coach gets apportioned blame, when the team succeeds the coach must gain the credit.

we beat WCE, adelaide, hawthorn, front runners at the time.

as for the constant attacks on the list.

we lost ot a weaker collingwood to the one that lost to richmond.

they were missing presti, clement and I can't remember of pebbles played or not.

I dont know, I see us turn up the heat and blow away teams for a 1/4 then play trash footy for the rest of the game.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I agree it's frustrating Dan Warna.

Lyon keeps saying he wants us to play fast-moving and direct football.

Well we aren't seeing the results on the field yet.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until halfway through next year.

If we aren't playing consistent footy over four quarters by that time, then I'll admit that Lyon has no idea.

But I believe he should be given a full pre-season to drill the players before I categorically say that he can or can't coach at the highest level.