Lyon Maintains Self-Belief (Article in Hun)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Lyon Maintains Self-Belief (Article in Hun)

Source: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Lyon maintains self-belief
04 May 2007 Herald-Sun
Trevor Grant

THERE is something about St Kilda coach Ross Lyon that doesn't quite jell.

Pressure intensifies: St Kilda's indifferent start to the season has placed more pressure on coach Ross Lyon who attempts to break a 41-year premiership drought for the Saints. Picture: Michael Dodge

He should have been sitting there with a furrowed brow explaining, in a suitably serious tone, the magnitude of the job he confronts as his injury-riddled team starts to crack around the edges.

Yet there he was, at another midweek media conference, trying out his dry humour on reporters, being candid about injuries and rolling his eyes and grinning mischievously in a self-deprecating manner that is both delightful and puzzling.

Lyon appears anything but a rookie coach with a limited reputation and profile now at a club whose lone premiership came 41 years ago and, according to some, has once again let slip a real opportunity to end this miserable history of failure.

He's the man charged with trying to jimmy open a premiership window that an increasing number of observers believe is all but shut, especially as the gap between even the best Victorian teams and their interstate rivals grows wider by the week.

But, as he deals with a stuttering start to his senior coaching career, Lyon's relaxed, understated demeanour suggests he is as confident and assured about his direction as any coach, let alone an untried one, could be.

In a business that likes to disembowel unsuccessful coaches, it takes some doing to be your own man but Lyon is not just willing to do so, he knows no other way.

There's no false bravado here. It's in the genes, as he outlined this week when explaining the results from the two psychological profiles that were produced on him, the first at his former job as an assistant to Paul Roos at Sydney and the second at St Kilda late last year.

Asked how he thinks he will cope with the pressure that is already starting to build at a club with so little success and so much expectation, he looked at me with that grin and said: "My profile says my stress tolerance is really high. So throw a brick at me."

He might have been smiling but he wasn't kidding. There is an unerring self-belief in his methods that is obvious to anyone who has worked with him.

His former boss, Roos, said many AFL coaches at Victorian-based clubs these days caved in to pressure exerted by outside influences, such as the media, supporters and boards, and ended up deviating from their own methods. But he was convinced Lyon would not be one of them.

"I've watched a lot of coaches in Melbourne and I've noticed quite a few of them haven't really gone down swinging," Roos said. "They've taken too much advice from people in the media, Joe down at the sandwich bar, Snowy the tram driver. One week they play one way, the next week a different way.

"The pressures are so much greater in Melbourne than Sydney or Brisbane and I think the greatest challenge coaches face there is really to stay the course. The thing I see with Ross is that he'll do it his way. He won't waver."

When Roos started out his career as a coach, taking over from Rodney Eade at the Swans in Round 13, 2002, he was 2-3 after five games. Lyon has the same ratio after five rounds, having lost successive games to Essendon and Port Adelaide and facing Carlton tonight at Telstra Dome to get out of negative territory.

Although they are now officially rivals - and will certainly be so in Round 7 when Sydney comes to Telstra Dome to play the Saints - the friendship that was begun in their days at Fitzroy and then enhanced through four seasons at Sydney, including the 2005 premiership, has not diminished. Indeed, Roos speaks regularly to Lyon, offering support and advice from afar.

"I talk to him once or twice a week. I don't interfere," Roos said. "It's more about reinforcing the things he's trying to do. The main thing I've been talking to him about is that you can't change things overnight, especially when you've got a lot of injuries.

"He rang me on the Saturday after Friday night's game. I just told him what I observed the previous night and we had a chat. I've spoken a bit to him about the things he's going to try to change. He's not making dramatic changes. He knows even small changes take time, that you have to do things in small increments.

"It's easier up here, where AFL is not the predominant sport and you are not getting 1000 letters a week and everyone telling you that you are doing things the wrong way. It's important Ross keeps in contact with people he trusts. He's got a couple of really good friends in his two assistants Tony Elshaug and Steve Silvagni. As long as there are people around him who are reinforcing his views and the fact that it's not going to happen overnight, he'll be fine."

Lyon gives the impression nothing could faze him in this venture into the unknown, but he conceded there was one thing that had certainly surprised him - the intensity of the support for St Kilda.

"I'm a passionate footy person and I was prepared for it. But even then it was a lot more than I expected," he said. "When you get to Telstra Dome against Essendon and see 40,000 passionate Saints fans expressing such love for the club, you certainly feel the responsibility."

The way he carries that responsibility, especially in the initial stages, has been closely monitored, inside and outside the club. So far, in trying circumstances that have included losing his three best key defenders - Matt Maguire, Max Hudghton, and Sam Fisher - to injury, he has stood up well to scrutiny.

"There's no doubt a few of the injuries have put me under a bit more pressure, personnel-wise, than I'd like to be under. But everyone is going to go through that at some stage," Lyon said.

"If you start thinking about what can go wrong, you can doubt yourself and that can filter through. It's my job to be confident. After we lost to Brisbane in the second game, we walked in and said, 'This is what we are going to do against the Bulldogs the next week. We believe we can.' And we did it. It's the same this week.

"I know when we do what we want to do and execute, we play good football, even without key players.

"Our indicator board in our wins is nearly all green. When we we lose it's all red. If we were losing and our indicators told us we were achieving, I'd know I had the wrong plan. There's strong evidence to show we are going the right way.

"I spoke to Robert Harvey this week and asked him a few things. Are the messages clear? Are they consistent? Do you believe in it? All the answers were, 'Yeah'.

"He has real belief. He said the challenge was consistency. In the games we've lost there have been these quick little bursts from the opposition that have put us under pressure; 10-minute patches where teams have scored pretty quickly. When we are disciplined we win."

As he works through the inconsistency that has brought the 2-3 start, Lyon draws on the inspiration of watching his close friend Roos two seasons ago.

"I've been at a club that was 2-4 after six games and won a premiership under all sorts of pressure," he said. "There was an unbelievable amount of pressure about the game plan but he never doubted it or what needed to be done. You need to be hard and smart until it turns. We just want a bit more persistence and perseverance."

In the meantime, Lyon, who worked as an assistant at Carlton from 1997-2003, also reminds himself of coach Denis Pagan's philosophy through the dark season of 2003, when the Blues won only four games.

"I remember Denis saying all the time, 'Never doubt yourself, son'," he said.

You might say the apprentice has learnt well from the master, no doubt about it.

krabb
Club Player

Good article....

Its going to take time...even if we lose tonight...the guy deserves to be given time to turn it around.

Rome wasnt built in a day.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that ..Great article..

Ross Lyon is a quality individual and must be given time to settle into his new environment and as is the case with any new coach the players need time to adjust as well

Just find it incredible that certain posters[you and we know who you are :x ] are ready to write him off after 5 games...

Surely must also be given some slack with the inherited injury situation which I'm sure will be the focus looking to next next year and beyond

Was happy when they appointed Ross and have not changed my mind...

Have faith and just a little patience FFS :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

krabb wrote:the guy deserves to be given time to turn it around.
Well said krabb.

As I would suspect the majority of posters on here would have said the same thing when GT took over from Blighty.

Having said that I would expect people to start blathering on about our list and what-not....... :roll:

RL will do it his way, if it takes a while, it takes a while. I want this man's stamp on our club.

Be patient, give the man time and observe and reap the rewards when they come!!!!!!!!

Richter
SS Life Member

Also I think it will take some time to subtly change the game style. There ARE differences in RL's approach compared with GT. This is acknowledged by RL in the article and also explicitly by Goose on the Footy Show - "we haven't quite got to grips with the new playing style yet". I don't think that it's a radical alteration because I don't think RL wants to go a full-on Sydney man-on-man style as we have some better players than the Swans do.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
krabb
Club Player

Rome wasnt built in a day = patience.

New game plan = its obviously going to take time to sink in.

We arent 2-4 = we're playing bad football.

New Coach = new ideas, new ways of doing things.

Injuries to key players = not ideal team to pick from.

Bottom line = I think he'll be a good Coach.

Maybe even win us a Premiership = Im hoping like hell that happens!

Stop nit picking....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

As I would suspect the majority of posters on here would have said the same thing when GT took over from Blighty.
We did. i remember it well. The blighty saga ripped the guts out of the place. GT was afforded time in spades. His first season, even though rubbish, was expected. And somewhat tolerated, be it through gritted teeth. We knew it wasnt going to happen instantly. It took a season and a bit, but the improvement came. The restructure at the time was nothing but positive at all times. Through the Crapuano, the Lawrence terminations, it was still accepted to be the best for the club.

Our issue now is that everyone is expecting instant success. The crux of it is that we have a new coach and a new game plan. When you take three of our back six out of the mix, we are somewhat hobbled. Realistically, the current range of injuries is probably holding back the change in gameplan somewhat, as there are so many players missing out on training time.

I dont doubt for one second that Ross Lyon has what it takes to get us to where we all want to be. Not for a minute. But you have to look at the big picture. I think we just need a bit more time...Lets get a few back on the park ffs. Get our soft tissue injuries SORTED and move on.

I can still see big things for this list.

If we lose tonight its going to smart like lemon juice on a paper cut. But FFS dont lose the freakin plot again. This place sucks the big one for dummy spits. Suck it up and think about whats going on instead of knee jerking.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:

If we lose tonight its going to smart like lemon juice on a paper cut. But FFS dont lose the freakin plot again. This place sucks the big one for dummy spits. Suck it up and think about whats going on instead of knee jerking.
Well said BR :wink:

Should be posted as a sticky for people to read before posting the crap we see after a loss :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

Might be a nice read to take your mind of Judd/board battles etc.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
ben_fff
Club Player

I think Ross has the makings of a quality coach and I'm happy with the way things turned out at the end of this year despite missing finals action.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon Maintains Self-Belief (Article in Hun)

[quote="TimeToShineFellas"]

The way he carries that responsibility, especially in the initial stages, has been closely monitored, inside and outside the club. So far, in trying circumstances that have included losing his three best key defenders - Matt Maguire, Max Hudghton, and Sam Fisher - to injury, he has stood up well to scrutiny.

[quote]

just shows you how decimated we were early.

I remember against the dons that gwilt had to play on lloyd and grammy played on lucas!

Yet we were in it up to our neck half way through the final term

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ben_fff
Club Player

Excluding the Brisbane game and the lack of scoreboard pressure we put on Freo we had oppurtunities to win most games, we were in it until half time at least.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yep, if we don't stuff anything up, especially off field we will have a good 2008.. just think if we would have won the flag this season, all of Butters' media blabbing and supposed ego issues would have been OK..what you think??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:I think Ross has the makings of a quality coach and I'm happy with the way things turned out at the end of this year despite missing finals action.
me too.

“Yeah….nah””
barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Lyon Maintains Self-Belief (Article in Hun)

Solar wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

just shows you how decimated we were early.

I remember against the dons that gwilt had to play on lloyd and grammy played on lucas!

Yet we were in it up to our neck half way through the final term
The bummers really pulled one out of their ass that day and really didn't reproduce much again all year.

We do forget sometimes just how injured our guys were back then, I think 9th. was actually very impressive when you think deeply about it

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:I think Ross has the makings of a quality coach and I'm happy with the way things turned out at the end of this year despite missing finals action.
Why?

And why?

ben_fff
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Why?

And why?
Because in my opinion he was more proactive than Thomas was during games and once the game plan started to gel we had a pretty impressive end of the season eg. Oh When The Saints signature.

And like I said in the previous post we were a chance in pretty mch every match at the start of the season but just didn't push on, a fitter side and some improvements from a couple of young blokes and we'll be a decent side next year.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Why?

And why?
Because in my opinion he was more proactive than Thomas was during games and once the game plan started to gel we had a pretty impressive end of the season eg. Oh When The Saints signature.

And like I said in the previous post we were a chance in pretty mch every match at the start of the season but just didn't push on, a fitter side and some improvements from a couple of young blokes and we'll be a decent side next year.

Fair enough.