Has the board made the Correct decision?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Was this the right decision

Yes
35%
No
31%
I'll stick by to wait and see
34%

Total votes: 170

Beekay
SS Life Member

Yes from me.

We need someone who can take us to the next level and I don't think Grant was going to.

.. let's just wait and see who the board appoints and how it turns out.

With full support!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Yes from me.

We need someone who can take us to the next level and I don't think Grant was going to.

.. let's just wait and see who the board appoints and how it turns out.

With full support!
So is that a yes or a wait and see???

It appears that you are saying both :?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Beekay
SS Life Member

I think they have made the right choice, but it really does depend on who they appoint in the long run. There is really two choices and two things to be looked at and questioned.

The chance of picking someone up who can take us to the next level is a chance that we were right to take. I don't think we were going to win the a flag under Grant Thomas in the future, so I'd settle for any half decent odds where there is a chance we pick up a coach who can get us there... obviously with the chance of getting a dud coach.

Not finishing in the finals or falling out in another prelim are the same to me - both failures. And I could not split which one I would rather.

SaintPM
Club Player

I think they got it wrong.

I cannot understand sinking him and getting in an untried coach. Untried senior coach has to mean no premiership for a couple more years. Don't think I've ever heard of an assistant being promoted to no.1 coach and snagging a premiership that 1st year.

Maybe, they should have given him 1 more year and had a replacement.

But to sack and have no backup with finals 3 years running.

And all that rubbish about GT being in charge of training services (ie it's his fault all the injuries) what a cop out.

They obviously just plain out wanted him out, even at the cost of success in 2007.

Sign Sealed for Life
St.Kenny
Club Player

Here here

Agreed SaintPM. but unfortunately the club spin doctors have been having a field day on this site and the wider media justifying it whereas GT has adopted the 'Club first' approach and refused to tip the bucket on the Board!

machine

Did they get it right? Does it matter? Are they going to reappoint GT if a majority of us disagree - we''ll see icicles on satans beard first.

GT may have been just an unlucky coach not to have had his best 10 available to him on a more regular basis. But f he was unlucky how long could we stick with him hoping his luck would change.

As a coach GT had his short comings especially on match day if things weren't going to plan. Cant' remember any bold changes which resluted in come from behind wins against teams that really mattered.

GT's greatest legacy was his apparent impact on the Clubs overall professionalism in a wide range of areas not just on the field. Love him or hate him he had an impact that few of us will forget.

Whoever the new coach will be - and I'm behind new blood of the likes of Mckenna or Longmire - one hopes the new era of Saints professionalism continues.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPM wrote:
They obviously just plain out wanted him out, even at the cost of success in 2007.
Correct.

A fact that has been admitted by members of the board.

Whether the decision turns out bo correct or not - it was NOT done in the best interests of the club, I can assure you that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good decision in the best interests of the club in seeking a flag.

Thonmas wanted to do it all.....he should never have been alllowed and at least the Board stopped it.

We NOW need a "football" thinker and a genuine football coach NOT a "man manager'.........or someone who builds up peoples "community values"...

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Good decision in the best interests of the club in seeking a flag.

Thonmas wanted to do it all.....he should never have been alllowed and at least the Board stopped it.

We NOW need a "football" thinker and a genuine football coach NOT a "man manager'.........or someone who builds up peoples "community values"...
Gary Lyon.

Sam23
SS Life Member

poochy3 wrote:For such a burning issue 1113 votes is pretty pathetic.
What are you on about?

Goddard.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Gary Lyon.
You back from your emotional meltdown? :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Gary Lyon.
You back from Australia Zoo Peter? Good to see you didn't get in.

Saintlyone
Club Player

I'm just disappointed that there is no esxperienced alternative. The Board have put a lot of pressure on themselves, the new coach and people who have advocated change.
Not happy at this stage !!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Saintlyone wrote:I'm just disappointed that there is no esxperienced alternative. The Board have put a lot of pressure on themselves, the new coach and people who have advocated change.
Not happy at this stage !!
Good call.

I'll wait and see how the list is managed and who they appoint before I get too upset.

HI&LOEWE
Club Player

It was the correct decision mainly for his disdain for ruckmen.
Hopefully now that we have Gardiner we can at least get a 50/50 hitout
contest.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Teflon wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Gary Lyon.
You back from Australia Zoo Peter? Good to see you didn't get in.
You back from your Star Trek convention? what no Klingon chics interested... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
HarveysDeciple

I'm in the wait and see boat personally.

Was a big GT fan, and he brought is plenty, and I think he has done tremendously well. With an ounce of luck he'd have a flag already, but its not to be.

The question obviously is, has he taken us as far as he can? Maybe so, time will tell.

I like the look of Ross Lyon, I like the harder edge it appears he will bring to us.

However whenever a new coach is appointed their is a mixture of excitement but also a sense of the unknown and uncertainty.

I support the board's job to make the tough decisions.....this is a tough decision and Im sitting in the wait and see boat.