Walsh appointment confirmed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Walsh appointment confirmed

I don’t think he can change the culture of AFL in general….that leaves St Kilda in this situation

Look at Tom Hawkins man mountain fullforward and part time forward ruck..team leader..

In what coin? Barely 300K is my guess

And the.n his farm and kids education might be ‘helped’ by other mysterious forces from heaven.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 2:47pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 10:16am “One of the things I can bring to the table is to make a hard call or to have a hard conversation,” Walsh said on SEN Breakfast.

“To not walk past something if you see it and you know it’s wrong, I’m willing to call it out.

“You’d have to ask Simon Lethlean and (President) Andrew Bassat if that appeals to them in me, I don’t know.

“This might sound abrasive and Saints fans might get upset, but one of the things that I think when asked about how do I see St Kilda, I think the competition would say there’s been a degree of irrelevance.

“That should be abrasive. That should choke down people’s throats and I hope that going forward I can contribute to a profile that gives the Saints the due respect that they crave.”

In order to do that, the club must improve its playing list after falling away badly in the second half of the 2022 season.

That's my take away, the rest is hot air that has the potential to destabilise an organisation in this touchy feely world. You have to have a critical mass of people in your organisation who are willing to take honest and robust feedback from abrasive types for that style or management to work.

So I'm now really interested to hear more about the details of HOW he plans to improve our list...actual execution, like some meat on the bone. He makes it sound easy but he has walked into one of the poorest clubs in the comp where the gap between the haves and have nots couldn't be greater.

I wish him all the luck in the world...he will need it.
I think that what is being missed here is Geoff’s obvious disdain for the culture in the place being “too nice, too cozy” and no one prepared to have a hard conversation
Saying the list needs to inject talent is like saying a fish needs water…we know that
What I think Geoff is saying is Cuddles and a few others better buckle up and prepare to be challenged.
That’s a good thing.
Someone with basic internet skills would find it hard to miss what the mood of the supporter base is, from there it's pretty easy to speak to the base and get them onside.

As is the case with politics, pandering to a base will only afford you a very short honeymoon period.

Geoff hasn't told us anything of substance yet other than our list needs improving and it might be time to go to the draft as opposed to trade and that he'll ruffle feathers if need be.

Sounds innovative doesn't it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:24pm
Comparing Walsh' style in plain talking to that of Mark Neeld is a joke
Yes it was.

I don’t think that immediately “putting everyone on notice” is very constructive and is the best way of motivating young men or gaining their respect. I prefer an iron hand in a velvet glove approach with clear performance objectives and enforceable standards.

I’m hopeful that Walsh isn’t as one dimensional as Neeld, as someone else suggested.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 11:16am
perfectionist wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 10:45am I used to work with Geoff. Interesting appointment.
Care to elaborate ?
No. 😆

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I want Geoff Walsh to be Mr T. Not Mr Y.

My Y
Nathan Brown: This is boring. I've had enough. I quit. I'm going home.
Mr. Y: On ya mate. have a good trip! You're a good bloke.

Mr T
Nathan Brown: This is boring. I've had enough. I quit. I'm going home.
Mr T: You signed a contract for one season. You understood you would be a back-up. We explained. You signed. Now fulfill your contract.

Six Weeks later

Mr Y
Jake Carlise: I'm going home for my baby birth
Mt. Y: On ya mate. ...eh....eh.....eh..

Mr T
Jake Carlise: I'm going home for my baby birth
Mr T: On ya mate. Nathan, put on your boots mate!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

they come and go..seen plenty of them
I'm gonna do this..I'm gonna do that..bla bla blah

I pay little heed to the rhetoric , just welcome the chest beater in and see how he goes..the rest is fairy floss.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I think that what is being missed here is Geoff’s obvious disdain for the culture in the place being “too nice, too cozy” and no one prepared to have a hard conversation
Saying the list needs to inject talent is like saying a fish needs water…we know that
What I think Geoff is saying is Cuddles and a few others better buckle up and prepare to be challenged.
That’s a good thing.
I reckoned you as much as anyone will be happy with Geoff Walsh' appointment as head of football Teflon, as I am - we can both look forward to see how the 2023 season unfolds and what Walsh thinks of Ratten as senior coach.

Point being that Walsh was the key figure in the dismissal of David Noble at North this year and he will obviously make similar judgements on Brett Ratten and others in senior off-field roles, which I wholeheartedly support.

It is one of many reasons why I consider this the best news out of Moorabbin for years!

Walsh' mantra and the 2023 club slogan should be: "MAKE ST KILDA GREAT AGAIN". A lot more potent than "Together We Rise"...which I've always considered to be a mealy-mouthed motherhood statement devoid of inspiration.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Please, no reference to the Trump mantra or to that fat billionaire turd from Queensland. Both lower than life.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 06 Oct 2022 11:05am
That’s a good thing.
I reckoned you as much as anyone will be happy with Geoff Walsh' appointment as head of football Teflon, as I am - we can both look forward to see how the 2023 season unfolds and what Walsh thinks of Ratten as senior coach.

Point being that Walsh was the key figure in the dismissal of David Noble at North this year and he will obviously make similar judgements on Brett Ratten and others in senior off-field roles, which I wholeheartedly support.

It is one of many reasons why I consider this the best news out of Moorabbin for years!

Walsh' mantra and the 2023 club slogan should be: "MAKE ST KILDA GREAT AGAIN". A lot more potent than "Together We Rise"...which I've always considered to be a mealy-mouthed motherhood statement devoid of inspiration.
First we have to make St.Kilda great before we can make St.Kilda great again.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ahhh....how can anyone forget that for quite a few years, albeit far too few, St Kilda WAS great and that will roll along again before too long, in the immortal words of another flawed leader in the past, JBP: "don't you worry about that"!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 5:08pm they come and go..seen plenty of them
I'm gonna do this..I'm gonna do that..bla bla blah

I pay little heed to the rhetoric , just welcome the chest beater in and see how he goes..the rest is fairy floss.
There’s some truth to this
But let’s hope Firey !!
I nodded along when Brett Ratten was appointed and said
“Can’t kick…you won’t play”
3 years on we are ball butchers at their best !

“Yeah….nah””