Zaine Cordy? Really?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Zaine Cordy? Really?

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:49pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:44pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 11:30am C grade AFL player at very best.

Not going to improve our side but should provide a reliable albeit average KPP option at both ends as required.

Given Bulldogs have given a 3 year deal to 32YO (next season) Liam Jones I guess Zaine saw limited opportunities.

Key backs have been WB Achilles heel for some time.

Not against the move as it cost nothing in draft picks and at his age is not another Chip Frawley waste of resources.
C Grade? 6 foot 5, 118 senior games, turns 26 later this month, cost us nothing in the way of a trade and has been a Bulldogs regular since playing in their 2016 premiership.

Good news, I reckon.
Do you rate him higher than C grade?

Of our taller defenders I'd rate them as follows:

A grade: Wilkie
B grade: Howard
C grade: Battle (still developing)
D grade: Highmore, Joyce (goneski), Sharman (developing)
Adams (no idea)

How do you rate our taller defenders?
Battle was the most effective key defender in the comp last season, in terms of goals scored by his direct opponent. He's far better than C grade.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Cordy will fit in nicely, very similar to Battle in development and versatility in my opinion. Cordy has settled nicely into a close checking role, with the ability to attack the ball and go forward and kick a goal.
Reads the ball well, is a fierce tackler and a decent kick. He has finals experience and a premiership medallion, has had a couple of major injury set backs early on and recovered to fill a forward line gap, in a premiership team.
Wouldn't be surprised, if Battle stamps his name on CHF this year and Cordy pushes his way into our half forward line. Good, cheap, depth.

older saint
SS Life Member

Surely after finally being able to settle in a position and performing well in it we will not take a step backwards and move Battle forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good move by the club. Lack of a functioning spine - particularly up forward - cost us dearly last season. Cordy will be able to play a role, at least structurally.

We cannot let Max King be mauled by three defenders every time we go forward ever again.

If that means Hayes plays forward or Battle, I don’t care. Must have another strong, physical player down there as a minder and an alternative strong, contesting target.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Welcome Zaine,
25 years old and a premiership player.
Need to get behind the young man

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Apples
Club Player

I'm just Ok about it, does fill a need, is only 25 and is a premiership player which are in short supply at Moorabbin. I'm a bit worried about his commitment to get the best of himself, wasn't he the bloke in the Bulldogs mad Monday laying comatose of the pavement and later being assisted by Libba out of the premises, I guess it's an improvement on somebody consuming a bag of coke at the airport.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 1:31pm Surely after finally being able to settle in a position and performing well in it we will not take a step backwards and move Battle forward.
Well picked. CHF, should obviously read CHB, with Cordy pushing his way forward.

Cheers

Saints58
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:51pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:49pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 12:44pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 11:30am C grade AFL player at very best.

Not going to improve our side but should provide a reliable albeit average KPP option at both ends as required.

Given Bulldogs have given a 3 year deal to 32YO (next season) Liam Jones I guess Zaine saw limited opportunities.

Key backs have been WB Achilles heel for some time.

Not against the move as it cost nothing in draft picks and at his age is not another Chip Frawley waste of resources.
C Grade? 6 foot 5, 118 senior games, turns 26 later this month, cost us nothing in the way of a trade and has been a Bulldogs regular since playing in their 2016 premiership.

Good news, I reckon.
Do you rate him higher than C grade?

Of our taller defenders I'd rate them as follows:

A grade: Wilkie
B grade: Howard
C grade: Battle (still developing)
D grade: Highmore, Joyce (goneski), Sharman (developing)
Adams (no idea)

How do you rate our taller defenders?
Battle was the most effective key defender in the comp last season, in terms of goals scored by his direct opponent. He's far better than C grade.
Adams is a big unit at 198cm 84kg and growing he is only 19 so will develop he had back problems last year a lot due to him growing quickly and the work load the games he played some were ok with intercept marks looks a lot better prospect the Allison who was a lot lighter at his age and still carn't play.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He is better than Joyce, costs nothing, what’s your problem. Premiership player, only 25,195cm, back up if Doogs goes down and. Can play against Carlton, Geelong and Tigers when required

repta
Club Player

My issue as always.

What does our next Premiership team look like?

The cost is in opportunity for salary and position on the list.

At 25 he is at his best. It is unlikely there is much upside and he would have had plenty of opportunity at Bulldogs.

Hopefully the Saints have worked out who they are taking in the draft (eg no tallish backmen).

Cant improve having substandard players and expecting more from them.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 2:59pm My issue as always.

At 25 he is at his best. It is unlikely there is much upside and he would have had plenty of opportunity at Bulldogs.

Hopefully the Saints have worked out who they are taking in the draft (eg no tallish backmen).

At a guess and with the benefit of knowing they have secured a tall backline player with the potential of also playing as a forward, is we are targeting midfielders predominantly, ESPECIALLY attacking midfielders and possibly another tall for the forward line. Remembering the latest trend to emerge out of 22 is an attacking brand of football.

I don't think Cordy is substandard to anyone on our list past about postion 12 to 22. He most certainly displaces Sharman a fair way down the list and Hayes will probably be feeling insecure especially if another tall is recruited.

As a side note it won't surprise me if Members spends time in the off season practising his craft between the arcs if said desirable talls cone in and form a partnership with Max.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

It's an interesting one...
The Bulldogs have been defensively poor for years despite having some good defenders.
Their game plan is to win the ball in the middle and go from there. Teams that have got hold of the Dogs win in that area and then their defence isn't drilled enough to work as a unit.

Our defence has been quite good given that we concede first possession from the centre quite a bit or we turn it over through the middle. We concede a lot of inside 50's but our back six hold up well...More so this season under Enright.

Cordy will benefit from a coach and plan where the defense work as a team.

He's an upgrade on Joyce for sure.

Hope he does well for us.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

People are carrying on like he is our biggest recruit over the off-season. Hopefully he can be serviceable. If not, he’ll at least be of great service to Sandy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 4:04pm People are carrying on like he is our biggest recruit over the off-season. Hopefully he can be serviceable. If not, he’ll at least be of great service to Sandy.
He's probably our only recruit until draft day.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Club Player

Should be a fringe player but cost us nothing and fills a gap.
Better than Hartigan.
When Howard went down this year we were left exposed down back.
Best available player for that need.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Welcome to the Saints Zaine.
Hopefully he can cause a few red faces on this forum.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Apples wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 1:46pm I'm just Ok about it, does fill a need, is only 25 and is a premiership player which are in short supply at Moorabbin. I'm a bit worried about his commitment to get the best of himself, wasn't he the bloke in the Bulldogs mad Monday laying comatose of the pavement and later being assisted by Libba out of the premises, I guess it's an improvement on somebody consuming a bag of coke at the airport.
Butler
Hill
Hannas
All got flags
Having a flag doesn't make a guy a bloody magician

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 5:40pm
Sainternist wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 4:04pm People are carrying on like he is our biggest recruit over the off-season. Hopefully he can be serviceable. If not, he’ll at least be of great service to Sandy.
He's probably our only recruit until draft day.
Oh well, so be it. After we lost out on JDG, we were never going to pull any other big names.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 8:23pm
Apples wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 1:46pm I'm just Ok about it, does fill a need, is only 25 and is a premiership player which are in short supply at Moorabbin. I'm a bit worried about his commitment to get the best of himself, wasn't he the bloke in the Bulldogs mad Monday laying comatose of the pavement and later being assisted by Libba out of the premises, I guess it's an improvement on somebody consuming a bag of coke at the airport.
Butler
Hill
Hannas
All got flags
Having a flag doesn't make a guy a bloody magician
I’m with you. The premiership medallion is a bit of an overrated accolade. I mean, Rhys Stanley just got one lol

groupie1
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 7:25am 4 cm taller than Wilkie - 4 cm shorter than Howard

We cried blue murder when we did not have Howard to stop the taller players - who do you suggest we pick up for no draft picks?
Great point.

I was hoping we could have lured Ratagulia as a defender but dealing with Geelong and weakening our hand at the draft...... I reckon Cordy makes good sense.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 3:22pm
repta wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 2:59pm My issue as always.

At a guess and with the benefit of knowing they have secured a tall backline player with the potential of also playing as a forward, is we are targeting midfielders predominantly, ESPECIALLY attacking midfielders and possibly another tall for the forward line. Remembering the latest trend to emerge out of 22 is an attacking brand of football.

I don't think Cordy is substandard to anyone on our list past about postion 12 to 22. He most certainly displaces Sharman a fair way down the list and Hayes will probably be feeling insecure especially if another tall is recruited.

As a side note it won't surprise me if Members spends time in the off season practising his craft between the arcs if said desirable talls cone in and form a partnership with Max.
I think Sharman and Hayes both play forward.
King needs Hayes.
Membrey possibly on a wing.

groupie1
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 1:40pm Good move by the club. Lack of a functioning spine - particularly up forward - cost us dearly last season. Cordy will be able to play a role, at least structurally.

We cannot let Max King be mauled by three defenders every time we go forward ever again.

If that means Hayes plays forward or Battle, I don’t care. Must have another strong, physical player down there as a minder and an alternative strong, contesting target.
Completely agree
HAYES is the man for that job, for mine

I don't mind going in with a too-tall backline (Howard, Cordy, Wilke, Battle, Sinclair, highmore)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Howard
Battle
Wilkie

Performed very well last season. We’ll Battle and Wilkie did… the taller of the three, Howard was so so

Cordy will be depth at best

He’s a spud, cannon fodder, and will be the new Dean Kent

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is he that bad?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

First bloke to get pissed on a break up. What a disgrace.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL