Looking forward to 2023?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to 2023?

I was so looking forward to this year really thought we were going to go well ,now I could not give two rat’s clackers about next year

Who else is dubious about our fortunes in 23

Ps. Take those rose coloured glasses off

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking forward to 2023?

From all the whispers so far this off season, I have a bad feeling we'll be going into next year with a worse list than 2022, which doesn't bode well... :(

Hopefully there's some improvements in the coaching side of things.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely. Don't get all the sads.
We have an exciting list and Boris and Lenny as coaches. First year guys will be even better. Billings and Clark fit. Full year from DMac. Josh B has had his knee/ankle cleaned up as as Howard with his knee. Higgins over his concussions. Wood has hit a sweet spot. Gresh fit. Jones has found serenity. Paton will be so much better for '22.

Its all good.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully a fit Billings Clark Coffield to start the year would be a great start.

Owens Windhager and NWM better again.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not until we have a revolution in culture and attitude we will we contend.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Craw
Club Player

Never been less interested.

I support the St Kilda Football club, not some social awareness group which uses sport as an avenue to get their message out.

Until I see a change in that approach I will direct my attention elsewhere.

Not Craw, CRAW!
st sandy
Club Player

Glass half full for me

Last 3 games - lost to 3 of top 4 teams
Geelong, Brisbane & Sydney - got close to Lions & Swans
We could have played the bottom 3 teams & made finals

I would rather be in the position of knowing that we are currently not good enough to match the top 4 teams (rather beating poor teams & thinking we will be great next year).
I would rather be in the uncomfortable position of knowing that we need to improvement in alot of areas & amend list & game plan accordingly (rather than not change)
Unless there is some great uncontracted players out there (not likely) - then go to the draft i say

st sandy
Club Player

Glass half full for me

I would rather be in the position of knowing that we are currently not good enough to match the top 4 teams (rather beating poor teams & thinking we will be great next year).
I would rather be in the uncomfortable position of knowing that we need to improvement in alot of areas & amend list & game plan accordingly (rather than not change)
Unless there is some great uncontracted players out there (not likely) - then go to the draft i say

st sandy
Club Player

Glass half full for me

saintbob
SS Life Member

I would be if the AFL gave us a fair fixture, a Richmond or Collingwood version would be good where we don’t have to play the top 6 from the previous year twice, but because the AFL are more concerned about finals revenue than a fair and equitable draw then this will never happen!!! 🤦‍♂️

So other than further improvement from Windy, Mitch, NWM and maybe Max Heath, there isn’t a lot to be excited about.

BadRossco
Club Player

Think we will slip down a few places on the ladder. Not that our on field performance will change much but the teams that finished below us will improve. It’s hard to see us improving as we have missed out on De Goey, Amon and pulled out of the race for the Bowes deal. Appears our recruiting people are cut from the same mould as some of our highly paid recruits and are happy to sit on their hands and accept their generous pay cheques.

Gershwin
Club Player

Not at the moment, but I will closer to the start of the season.
The boys will be flying, fitter than they have ever been and we will finally get a ‘dream draw’.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We need a strong tall defender

We need a tall forward who can kick goals

We need a line breaking mid

We need another ruckman

Our list is structurally rooted.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t that supposed to be Doogs?

Isn’t that supposed to be Max?

That was meant to be DeGoey?

We’ve got a good ruckman!

We need to improve our list by bringing in quality

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Nope, can’t imagine we’ll be any better next year.

A shame we’re not going into the club’s 150th anniversary with anything close to a premiership window :(

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I see us as equivalent to Essendon and Gold Coast as far as age profile and games experience and we’ll be one of the youngest lists in the competition!

There should be a strong NEW identity with this squad and no baggage from the previous coaching set ups and previous leadership. Embrace the challenge and drive it

I see a side that will have some young men who want to be in control of their own destiny. We have some quality youth who need to drive the St Kilda ship from this point on and create the culture that they WANT

I hope we can retain Hunter Clark and Jack Bytel and by some miracle, I hope Ben Long decides to stay with us too. Pay these guys more money and keep them ffs!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

We'll do what we do best.

Get hammered by a bottom team, a week after a stirring win against the ladder leader...

And finish outside the 8 again

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not looking forward to the blue sky brigade pumping out the same bullsh-t that we need to be patient our list is not that bad & we aren't that far away . I wish we were but reality is there for all to see we aint & unless we bring in some serious talent we will fall even further IMO

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 8:45pm I'm not looking forward to the blue sky brigade pumping out the same bullsh-t that we need to be patient our list is not that bad & we aren't that far away . I wish we were but reality is there for all to see we aint & unless we bring in some serious talent we will fall even further IMO
Agree.
A few years ago, it was apparent that Sincs had the ability to be very good, but consistency was one thing he needed. But he gave glimpses.
DMack was one who surprised a lot of us.

Now...apart from the 3 young guns (Windy, Owens, NWM) who in our squad shows any signs of potentially doing a Sincs and elevating?

Answer- nobody.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 8:52pm
bangaulegend wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 8:45pm I'm not looking forward to the blue sky brigade pumping out the same bullsh-t that we need to be patient our list is not that bad & we aren't that far away . I wish we were but reality is there for all to see we aint & unless we bring in some serious talent we will fall even further IMO
Agree.
A few years ago, it was apparent that Sincs had the ability to be very good, but consistency was one thing he needed. But he gave glimpses.

Now...apart from the 3 young guns (Windy, Owens, NWM) who in our squad shows any signs of potentially doing a Sincs and elevating?

Answer- nobody.
Wood, Sharman, tall guy in Sandy side, maybe Long- no scratch that - Coffield, Hill, Patton. There will be others.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:04pm
Agree.

Answer- nobody.
Wood, Sharman, tall guy in Sandy side, maybe Long- no scratch that - Coffield, Hill, Patton. There will be others.
I rest my case :| but I do love your optimism but I don't share it :wink:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:08pm
Agree.

Answer- nobody.
Oh, but I love watching those guys play.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I think we have the nucleus of a very good side. We just need a few more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle and fighting fit players.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintJohno
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:27pm I think we have the nucleus of a very good side. We just need a few more pieces of the jigsaw puzzle and fighting fit players.
And a really good never give up attitude.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:08pm
Agree.

Answer- nobody.
Wood got the Best Clubman Award.
Nice.
There's a reason Roos let him go.
He is very fit, he runs and competes harder than most, but he's not gonna be best 22 in a top 4 side.
Just doesn't fill me with hope.

Coff will plateau.
Paton as well.
Hill? Blahhhhh
Sharman might actually be serviceable but he's not Jeremy Cameron or Tom Lynch. Just no