Looking forward to 2023?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking forward to 2023?

On Shane Grambeau’s famous -5 +5 richter scale (short for ‘from rich to poor’ ) let’s look at the team and give up to +5 for increasing prospects and -5 for diminished one’s pre and post 2022 season

Paton (-3) Howard (-2) Coffield (-2)
Sinclair (+3) Battle (+1) Hill (0) Highmore (-2)
DMac (+2) Ross (+1) Wood (+1)
Sharman (-2) Membrey (0) Higgins (-1)
Butler (-3) King (0) Gresh (-1)

Marshal, (-1) Crouch (0) Jones (-3)

NWM (+1) Windy (+2) Lienert (0) Hunter (-2)

Total

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 11:13pm On Shane Grambeau’s famous -5 +5 richter scale (short for ‘from rich to poor’ ) let’s look at the team and give up to +5 for increasing prospects and -5 for diminished one’s pre and post 2022 season

Total
Aren't you the guy living in Japan who told us he's watched 3 games in 5 years?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 6:42pm Nope, can’t imagine we’ll be any better next year.

A shame we’re not going into the club’s 150th anniversary with anything close to a premiership window :(
Our premiership window is actually a roller shutter and we just ride with the ups and downs.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 12:15am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 11:13pm On Shane Grambeau’s famous -5 +5 richter scale (short for ‘from rich to poor’ ) let’s look at the team and give up to +5 for increasing prospects and -5 for diminished one’s pre and post 2022 season

Total
Exactly, but I watch with a eye of a Japanese falcon., I was gonna say Hawk.
And i swoop in on the truth.

OK..of course I am taking the pisss, but frankly speaking, if I dare to say so myself, you can't tell me that our back six, much lauded as champagne popping defensive fortress pre-2022, has not had its feathers severely soiled.

Paton is half the prospect he was
Coff has gone from silverware to tupperware
Dougal is no longer the 'general(..he is more like Captian Kurtz and his impetuous shadow.
Hill at halfback is still a winner, but won't be everyweek and that aint good enough on his coin*
Sincs is God
Long is goneski
Lienert is a Holden Belmont taxi with a 173 ci 3 on-the-tree (shame, cos he got chops)
Connoly who?
Highmore (unfairly) thrown to the wolves and pants soiled, but that s*** sticks
DMac, Gresh offically injury prone
Wood is average but is lauded as a champ - that says much!
Higgo was great pre-concussion, was not the same since..
Butler continued to fade
Membrey - consistent at a 6/10
ditto Ross (and cudos, his first half of the season was better due to the buzz cut)
King was frustrating
Gresh showed his limits..finally
HUnter was bullied and battered and we just can't expect a miracle now..tho his class is beautiful
Billings was a general in the First World War...I think..it was a long time ago.
JOnes was in trouble (culture of St Kilda?..) dunno...his stocks plummeted

NWM, Windy and O
Showed positive signs

NOt bad for a 5 games in 3 years hey?
or was it the other way around...
??

*coin don't matter to me, but to you lot..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ctqs
Club Player

This time last year my thought was we weren't tough enough mentally to make a go of it and so it proved. I haven't seen anything yet that has made me change my mind. We may have tougher people running the admin in Lethlean and Walsh, but the players are still the players.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 4:04am This time last year my thought was we weren't tough enough mentally to make a go of it and so it proved. I haven't seen anything yet that has made me change my mind. We may have tougher people running the admin in Lethlean and Walsh, but the players are still the players.
Mental fragility is definitely an attribute of this list.

Max King personifies the attribute.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 6:38am
ctqs wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 4:04am This time last year my thought was we weren't tough enough mentally to make a go of it and so it proved. I haven't seen anything yet that has made me change my mind. We may have tougher people running the admin in Lethlean and Walsh, but the players are still the players.

Vortex is 'pooping' on 1 person. In other words...it's poo poo talk unless you start naming ALL or at least most of the players you are labelling as fragile

Max has basically just finished his 3rd year of being available to play in the team... and he isn't even in the leadership group.

Max is tracking fine and he is improving his resilience in my opinion

I am also confident we will see a more aggressive Max in the years to come. Remember the elbow to Tom McCartin in the Swans game in round 23?

I feel like there are definitely elements of truth in what you are both saying, but I don't agree with blaming the youngest players in the team. The senior players need to lead the way and show some heart. Show some mongrel

E.g When Hunter Clark was shirt fronted by David Mackay in 2021 and had his jaw fractured in 3 places by a direct hit from the Adelaide player's shoulder the 2 closest players were Brad Hill and ...JB (you can't see JB's jumper number, but it's him in the frame). They both did nothing after Mackay cannoned into their team mate

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... &crop=fill

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:00am
Vortex wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 6:38am

Vortex is 'pooping' on 1 person. In other words...it's poo poo talk unless you start naming ALL or at least most of the players you are labelling as fragile

Max has basically just finished his 3rd year of being available to play in the team... and he isn't even in the leadership group.

Max is tracking fine and he is improving his resilience in my opinion

I am also confident we will see a more aggressive Max in the years to come. Remember the elbow to Tom McCartin in the Swans game in round 23?

I feel like there are definitely elements of truth in what you are both saying, but I don't agree with blaming the youngest players in the team. The senior players need to lead the way and show some heart. Show some mongrel

E.g When Hunter Clark was shirt fronted by David Mackay in 2021 and had his jaw fractured in 3 places by a direct hit from the Adelaide player's shoulder the 2 closest players were Brad Hill and ...JB (you can't see JB's jumper number, but it's him in the frame). They both did nothing after Mackay cannoned into their team mate

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... &crop=fill
He may get there, but he was selected as our marquee player who a team will be built around, the club put all its chips in when selecting Max. It comes with the territory and so he needs to be the man whether he likes it or not. I agree with B.M. and believe he has to muscle up and be the peacock, especially in the games where he's not kicking goals, in those games he needs to bring something else to the victory, not just sook it up when the ball doesn't get served to him on a platter or if he misses a sitter. His poor attitude in numerous games in 22 would have permeated the team.

He's in an elite competition and being young can no longer be an excuse. Has to have a breakout season and deliver on the high promise and expectation.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is Max (all of a sudden) the one and only player at St Kilda to lift this side to glory?
He's also now solely responsible for most of our losses.

Do you want Max to organise preseason training and devise a new game plan for next year?

Max King won't be the catalyst to change Billings or Hill.

Templar
Club Player

Can't wait for Round One.
How many more sleeps?
Are we there yet?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
mickey
Club Player

I have to agree with Scollop here. Sometimes I just watch and wonder where our Senior players go ? Body language of a lot of them is just incomprehensible because I've seen them at their best. I don't like naming on here but I know who they are. I'll name the 2 that never do.. Wilkie and Sinclair. If I was coach I'd grab gaffa tape in pre season and tape the back of their heads so their chin stays up and I'd put razor blades on their hips so they don't put their hands on them. I think Windy, Owen's, NWM and Sharman bring what we're crying out for. Windy is Selwood, Owen's is Bont, NWM is Rioli and Sharman has to play forward. Has to, he's a great kick, can goal assist and he can launch. He lifts a team but he's in the wrong position. These kids are who we build our future around and Max King is a gun who plays one of the hardest positions. The opposition know how good he will be.
Hoping Jack Hayes returns the way he was and I think Lienert deserves to be on the list. My take.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 9:32am Is Max (all of a sudden) the one and only player at St Kilda to lift this side to glory?
He's also now solely responsible for most of our losses.

Do you want Max to organise preseason training and devise a new game plan for next year?

Max King won't be the catalyst to change Billings or Hill.
Whether you like it or not...YES!

Max was selected to be our marquee player, if he fails the list build fails.

A bit like how our list build failed when Paddy didn't work out.

It's elite sport and he signed up for it.

Trixilver
Club Player

For the first time in years, I am not looking forward to next season.

But then all those other years I was optimistic, look where that got us. So maybe the fact that I am in the pits is a GOOD sign?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i've always look forward to a season. always pessimistically (bar 2004-6 maybe). never been disappointed in one sense, always in another. just accept one day, maybe even before my grandkids pass on, there's going to be some very happy saints supporters.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m looking forward to 2023
I’m hoping to travel a bit more and we have a big function in qld with some mates
I’m also hoping inflation settles down and the Ukrainian conflict is resolved
I think that’s about it…

“Yeah….nah””
saintkid
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 3:07am
WellardSaint wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 12:15am

Total
Exactly, but I watch with a eye of a Japanese falcon., I was gonna say Hawk.
And i swoop in on the truth.

OK..of course I am taking the pisss, but frankly speaking, if I dare to say so myself, you can't tell me that our back six, much lauded as champagne popping defensive fortress pre-2022, has not had its feathers severely soiled.

Paton is half the prospect he was
Coff has gone from silverware to tupperware
Dougal is no longer the 'general(..he is more like Captian Kurtz and his impetuous shadow.
Hill at halfback is still a winner, but won't be everyweek and that aint good enough on his coin*
Sincs is God
Long is goneski
Lienert is a Holden Belmont taxi with a 173 ci 3 on-the-tree (shame, cos he got chops)
Connoly who?
Highmore (unfairly) thrown to the wolves and pants soiled, but that s*** sticks
DMac, Gresh offically injury prone
Wood is average but is lauded as a champ - that says much!
Higgo was great pre-concussion, was not the same since..
Butler continued to fade
Membrey - consistent at a 6/10
ditto Ross (and cudos, his first half of the season was better due to the buzz cut)
King was frustrating
Gresh showed his limits..finally
HUnter was bullied and battered and we just can't expect a miracle now..tho his class is beautiful
Billings was a general in the First World War...I think..it was a long time ago.
JOnes was in trouble (culture of St Kilda?..) dunno...his stocks plummeted

NWM, Windy and O
Showed positive signs

NOt bad for a 5 games in 3 years hey?
or was it the other way around...
??

*coin don't matter to me, but to you lot..
That's a pretty good summary there shanegrambeau...doing well with your Japanese falcon eye! :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m hearing good things next year for trout fishing - streams well stocked so could be a bumper year!

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Oct 2022 1:53pm I’m looking forward to 2023
I’m hoping to travel a bit more and we have a big function in qld with some mates
I think that’s about it…
That's not like you Teffers, forgetting stuff. What about round 14, 2023, when Ratts gets the sack and Lenny replaces him as caretaker coach?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 02 Oct 2022 6:48pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 02 Oct 2022 1:53pm I’m looking forward to 2023
I think that’s about it…
That's not like you Teffers, forgetting stuff. What about round 14, 2023, when Ratts gets the sack and Lenny replaces him as caretaker coach?
We'll have a nice win against the Cats again, early in the season, then a week or two later, we'll fail badly against a bottom 4 team that's won just a single game up till then.
Bookmark this.
Every club has a unique playing style, and our club is the proud copyright owner of this style.
We created it, we fostered it, we are known for it.
It's as unique to us, as Post Malone's facial tattoos

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If kicking 52 goals in a bad team is considered a “poor year”, I think Max is going to be just fine.

Not many players in our history have been under the media microscope as much as him at such a young age.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Our list is far from perfect but with some smart trading/drafting and a reasonable run with injuries we could sneak into the finals.

Lenny will make a big difference to our midfield and get them playing with an edge. If we can snag a decent forwards coach who can sort our goal kicking accuracy we automatically win more games - but its a big if

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In terms of 2023, most teams above us seem to be improving their Best 22's with various acquisitions.

Saints after continuing to be the club that no half decent player wants to join looks set to just ad in the main more kids. Long-term this is probably a good thing. But it means in 2023 there is going to be fierce competition to tray and make the 8.

ie

1/ Tigers look set land two really good mids from GWS
2/ Dogs gain Lobb as ayet another key forward option, but probably more importantly land Jones as a key tall back which has been a major weakness of theirs. With their depth of mids they will not miss Dunkley. Main thing holding them back is the shitty gameplan that Bevo refuses to give up on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 02 Oct 2022 11:20pm Our list is far from perfect but with some smart trading/drafting and a reasonable run with injuries we could sneak into the finals.

Lenny will make a big difference to our midfield and get them playing with an edge. If we can snag a decent forwards coach who can sort our goal kicking accuracy we automatically win more games - but its a big if
Imo we need to snag a Degoey type mid with less baggage :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 02 Oct 2022 11:20pm Our list is far from perfect but with some smart trading/drafting and a reasonable run with injuries we could sneak into the finals.

Adem Yze was at Hawks for a handful of years.
Google search says he improved their goal accuracy from 48% to 57%.

When he was goal-kicking coach +something else (can't remember where I saw it, but it was this morn)

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We have a lot of players who should improve but I don't think it will be enough to significantly improve our standings in the competition. I think we're stuck in between rebuilding and contending. If we had have landed some big additions to the squad like De Goey and Amon via FA without giving up trade capital then I'd be much more optimistic about the year ahead.

As it sits we've just lost our starting ruckman, the guy who polled 3 brownlow votes in our last game and a solid depth utility in Long.

If we end up making finals in 2023 it will be on the back of career best years from guys like Marshall, Clark, Coffield, Higgins, Paton, Billings and Gresham - guys with great potential but haven't consistently played to best of their ability yet.