Bowes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bowes

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:40pm

I’d actually offer Bowes 4 years and spread his money
1.6 over 4
That could work if money is no object and like I say, other people's money and debt and credit is cheap so there's that.

But where the longer deal for a list clogger could become problematic is the denial of an available spot on the list for prospects capable of making the grade, and by grade my version is a player who wouldn’t look out of place in a sustainable top 4 side. After 6 years on a list has to raise questions about what more do you need to see...especially after 78 games.

North have secured extra spots on their list size so they could probably hide long term projects or training players.

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

Supposedly we have pulled out and Riewoldt lost his rag about it.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/26/ ... rade-race/

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:32pm I watched Jack play for Cairns Saints, and the team I spend the second most of time watching is the GCS due to work related connections as well as a close connection with the GCS due to said work connections.

No disrespect to Jack, he's been fringe in a really poor team.

Roo needs to get out of the Melbourne fox studio more often.
Two questions:
1. How does a fringe player receive a contract (between $550K - $850K) as reported in the media?
(Must be a StKilda connection in contract management)

2. How does a fringe player play in over 80% of his teams matches since his debut in 2017 - 2021?

Having watched a lot of GCS, I see Jack Bowes as a solid C+ AFL player.
Decent ball use and skills, is not Jack Steele at the contest but not Brad Hill either.

I don't know how he'd go as an onballer in AFL but he dominated in the 1 VFL game I saw him play.

I'd pick Bowes easily ahead of Byrnes, Bytel, Paton, Connolley and probably a few others.

Would I take a deal with Bowes on his current contract without incentive - NO!
Would I take him with #7, Absolutely, assuming we have cap space.

If we can pay Hill, Hannebery, Jones, Crouch, Kent etc to come across why not grab #7 in the draft.
Maybe paying B&C grade players heavy contracts in the reason we cannot take this deal.

I mean we give up multiple picks and Acres for Hill and pay him (reported) $800 - $900K.
We pay Hannebery (reported) $800K to barely play.

Melbourne look to secure Grundy with Collingwood contributing 25% of his salary for a late first or early second round draft pick.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
amusingname
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:40pm Fringe player in a bad team?

So, like Long?

I don’t care about Bowes (who has a 1M contract for two seasons)

I care about the FRDP to make up for Clark - who ironically was pick 7

I’d actually offer Bowes 4 years and spread his money
1.6 over 4
But it seems that it isn’t $1million over 2, it’s $1.6-1.65 million.

The key point is also that to spread his money over 4 years he has to agree, maybe he won’t. Also, maybe he has decided he wants to get to geelong or another team, not us. Gold Coast can’t trade him somewhere against his will.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 1:10pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:32pm I watched Jack play for Cairns Saints, and the team I spend the second most of time watching is the GCS due to work related connections as well as a close connection with the GCS due to said work connections.

Two questions:
1. How does a fringe player receive a contract (between $550K - $850K) as reported in the media?

2. How does a fringe player play in over 80% of his teams matches since his debut in 2017 - 2021?

Decent ball use and skills, is not Jack Steele at the contest but not Brad Hill either.

I don't know how he'd go as an onballer in AFL but he dominated in the 1 VFL game I saw him play.

I'd pick Bowes easily ahead of Byrnes, Bytel, Paton, Connolley and probably a few others.

If we can pay Hill, Hannebery, Jones, Crouch, Kent etc to come across why not grab #7 in the draft.
Maybe paying B&C grade players heavy contracts in the reason we cannot take this deal.

I mean we give up multiple picks and Acres for Hill and pay him (reported) $800 - $900K.

Melbourne look to secure Grundy with Collingwood contributing 25% of his salary for a late first or early second round draft pick.
Straight to the solid C+ statement, agree.

Question 1 and 2 are not questions I'm asking, I'm asking how many more C+ players at 6 years in the system can our list carry in the hope and speculation our club might help them go to the next level in year 7 and 8 in the system.

The De Goey domino has to fall to know what the club are up to, can they afford the $1m addition to the salary cap if De Goey is still gettable?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I literally know nothing about Bowes, but if the him plus pick 7 deal is true (not sure why GC would do this) it seems like a no brainer. You're basically buying an early draft pick, and its not like we're tight on cash.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 1:37pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 1:10pm

Two questions:

Straight to the solid C+ statement, agree.

Question 1 and 2 are not questions I'm asking, I'm asking how many more C+ players at 6 years in the system can our list carry in the hope and speculation our club might help them go to the next level in year 7 and 8 in the system.

The De Goey domino has to fall to know what the club are up to, can they afford the $1m addition to the salary cap if De Goey is still gettable?
The question is how much money is #7 draft pick worth to the Saints?

If it’s worth $1M hopefully the Bowes steak knives provide value. If it gets Cam McKenzie I’d be stoked with that deal.

Agree adding Bowes does nothing to elevate us up the ladder as he is another Flanker type who has no elite trait that we are screaming for.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saintbob
SS Life Member

amusingname wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 11:48am
saintbob wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 10:26am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:57am Why would they pay a dud over $500K? a season.
The club could renegotiate the deal and stretch it out.
And why the f*** wouldn’t we want to grab pick 7 as a bonus,,seriously!!!
Get Geoff Walsh in now FFS
Why would Bowes agree to stretch out the contract? He agreed to the terms that back ended the contract when Gold Coast resigned him, if they now have screwed up why should he lose out? If he is the player some think he is, surely he would back himself and say to whoever is interested ‘pay me my contract as it was agreed to and I will show you what I am worth, then negotiate in the final year’.
I guarantee Geelong won’t be paying him 850k in his first year, so why couldn’t we do the same f****** thing and get another pick in the Top 10 in the process.
It’s an absolute no brainer, but because we’re a joke of a club we’d prefer to draft blokes like Hartigan, Phillips or Robinson.

amusingname
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 2:27pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:57am Why would they pay a dud over $500K? a season.
Why would Bowes agree to stretch out the contract? He agreed to the terms that back ended the contract when Gold Coast resigned him, if they now have screwed up why should he lose out? If he is the player some think he is, surely he would back himself and say to whoever is interested ‘pay me my contract as it was agreed to and I will show you what I am worth, then negotiate in the final year’.
I guarantee Geelong won’t be paying him 850k in his first year, so why couldn’t we do the same f****** thing and get another pick in the Top 10 in the process.
It’s an absolute no brainer, but because we’re a joke of a club we’d prefer to draft blokes like Hartigan, Phillips or Robinson.
Because he has to agree to the trade and geelong is maybe more appealing to him?

saintbob
SS Life Member

amusingname wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 2:29pm
saintbob wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 2:27pm
Because he has to agree to the trade and geelong is maybe more appealing to him?

Of course he does, but seriously where is he more of a chance of getting a game
Last edited by saintbob on Tue 27 Sep 2022 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Club Player

Do people really believe we would get Bowes and pick 7 for nothing? Just pay his salary. It is their part of the 'package'. It is what GC will give up and the other half of the equation is what we would have to give up.
We can include Long as part of the deal but then they will probably want our pick 9. Maybe we could offer our 2nd round pick instead.

But it comes down to do we want Bowes, and he doesn't seem all that good to me.

summertime and the living is easy ........
amusingname
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 3:40pm Do people really believe we would get Bowes and pick 7 for nothing? Just pay his salary. It is their part of the 'package'. It is what GC will give up and the other half of the equation is what we would have to give up.
We can include Long as part of the deal but then they will probably want our pick 9. Maybe we could offer our 2nd round pick instead.

The whole point of the trade is for them to get the money off the books and they already have too many picks for their available list spots, so the trade will be Bowes and 7 to whoever he decides on for not much return to Gold Coast.

He is not the asset, it’s pick 7 that is desirable. It’s just that the cost of taking bowes on is only worthwhile for a club that he is willing to work with to lessen the impact of his salary, by spreading it out. In reality, Bowes holds the cards here as he will get paid regardless and possibly make his way to the best scenario for him, either money or football wise.

Gershwin
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 3:48pm
Gershwin wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 3:40pm Do people really believe we would get Bowes and pick 7 for nothing? Just pay his salary. It is their part of the 'package'. It is what GC will give up and the other half of the equation is what we would have to give up.

The whole point of the trade is for them to get the money off the books and they already have too many picks for their available list spots, so the trade will be Bowes and 7 to whoever he decides on for not much return to Gold Coast.

He is not the asset, it’s pick 7 that is desirable. It’s just that the cost of taking bowes on is only worthwhile for a club that he is willing to work with to lessen the impact of his salary, by spreading it out. In reality, Bowes holds the cards here as he will get paid regardless and possibly make his way to the best scenario for him, either money or football wise.
Hmm. I'm not sure that is the case, but thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We are ridiculously stupid

This deal is exactly what we need

If we have ruled ourselves out, the list management is incompetent

Which is most likely the case.

realdeal
Club Player

It's mind boggling that we throw contracts around like confetti to anyone who asks yet pull out of this.

This is exactly what we need!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 4:24pm We are ridiculously stupid

This deal is exactly what we need

If we have ruled ourselves out, the list management is incompetent

Which is most likely the case.
I'd be reserving judgement becsuee there might be a long game we aren't aware of. It's interesting the club have been relatively quiet on general trade but felt it necessary to announce they had pulled out of the race for this specific offering.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Long game

Pfft

We need to get relevant very quickly

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:25pm Long game

Pfft

We need to get relevant very quickly
I was referring to the end of this trade period, not any longer. Couldn't agree more, if we don't get real lucky in this trade and the next trade period we will be in full rebuild by 2024.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Guy having a crack..what do we make of this .

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone have inside knowledge of precisely what the Gold Coast are offering?

One version going around is that it’s Bowes plus pick 7 in exchange for taking on his salary and a late first round pick. We don’t have a late first round pick to give up so would have to find one somehow: eg by splitting our pick 9. Geelong and Brisbane, both of whom have been mentioned in relation to Bowes, have the required draft pick available.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I’m also not sure that recruiting a mediocre player and paying him a s**tload of money is going to do a lot for the morale of the current list.

My instincts tell me that we might be better off out of it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Templar
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:58pm I’m also not sure that recruiting a mediocre player and paying him a s**tload of money is going to do a lot for the morale of the current list.
Who, Goofy?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:58pm I’m also not sure that recruiting a mediocre player and paying him a s**tload of money is going to do a lot for the morale of the current list.

My instincts tell me that we might be better off out of it.
The other aspect of this peculiar offering from the GCS that no one seems to be questioning is how does the AFL system allow a fringe player to receive so much remuneration for very little return in the first place AND then be packaged up with a high FRDP that is clearly surplus to needs, or so it would seem, so the club can dump the player just to clean up its salary cap mess.

It's a really odd situation and clearly the industry has too much money....it just doesn't seem like a system that is working properly and also possibly suggests someone at the Suns stuffed up, maybe explains why Cochrane wants out.

amusingname
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:39pm Guy having a crack..what do we make of this .
Seriously? Coops heart may be in the right place, but his Facebook ‘news’ page is just claims of exclusives that aren’t and clickbait videos like this. He has no idea if the saints made any overtures to players and seems to take overheard comments from players to fans (when he talks about Ben long) as gospel. He has no inside knowledge about player movements and what has been involved, he just has a lot of time on his hands and a Facebook page.