Bowes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Bowes

chook23 wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:34pm
SaintJohno wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:20pm Geelong are very smart with their sales pitch and recruiting. Matt Rendell was saying on Trade Radio the other day that only 4 out of their current list are city boys. They have purposely gone for the country lads and sold the dream of being away from the big city, here's a farm, here's the surf etc etc. Hard to sell Moorabbin in the same way I would imagine.
Maybe true but they do have a salary cap as well
Not every one can surf the bells bowl. Thats a fact..

SaintJohno
Club Player

SaintJohno wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:20pm Geelong are very smart with their sales pitch and recruiting. Matt Rendell was saying on Trade Radio the other day that only 4 out of their current list are city boys. They have purposely gone for the country lads and sold the dream of being away from the big city, here's a farm, here's the surf etc etc. Hard to sell Moorabbin in the same way I would imagine.
Yep, there was talk recently that Hawkins was on as little as $300K because he wanted to play with the cats only and knew the cap constraints and just wanted success. Not sure Brad Hill would do the same, or Billings, or ......

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 3:24pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 2:12pm
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 1:57pm
maverick wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 9:26pm I cannot believe how much people undervalue Bowes, he is a good player with strong skills ready to break out imo
I think he is a mid as well
His current club doesn't rate him too highly, willing to part company with him and pick 7. Expendable.
Comes with an $850k price tag. Halve that and a fair deal ?
We need more half backs, yes. Or no, not really.
Interesting Nick R doesn't think the price tag is much of an issue, or how Bowes would be utilised and how his salary would sit with the playing group, just sees the precious draft pick?
Watch this space, eh.
Gold Coast gave a history of undervaluing certain players only to see them do well elsewhere (sounds familiar..)
Bowes + 7 is a no brainer
IF we could keep 9 add 7 and add Bowes you have 2 gun mids to come and a very handy player still to peak alongside Windhager etc ….mini reset done
Dont be dumb
So glad we missed De Goey we have $ now
There’s a reason Cats have been into Bowes for a while
Can we get him to like us???
Surely he has to know with Bruhn Oliver etc coming to Cats his midfield time will be limited
With us..skys the limit brother
So no conceivable downsides. No risk. Not too good to be true. Hope it pans out.
Apparently not
Clubs lining up to meet him

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:58pm

Not every one can surf the bells bowl. Thats a fact..
They do not have to. Some like Cameron love their fishing.

There is more than surfing to do down that way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:59pm
Yep, there was talk recently that Hawkins was on as little as $300K because he wanted to play with the cats only and knew the cap constraints and just wanted success.
And just maybe .... there is a pub awaiting or .... or well - Geelong is a 'Special' place

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintJohno
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:14pm
Yep, there was talk recently that Hawkins was on as little as $300K because he wanted to play with the cats only and knew the cap constraints and just wanted success.
And just maybe .... there is a pub awaiting or .... or well - Geelong is a 'Special' place
Quite possibly. If that's the case we should be doing it too.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Bowes is from FNQ. How are the Cats going to offer Crocs, pythons, 27° water and a 10% indigenous population.

Saint 58
Club Player

Yep, there was talk recently that Hawkins was on as little as $300K because he wanted to play with the cats only and knew the cap constraints and just wanted success. Not sure Brad Hill would do the same, or Billings, or ......
& there's also talk that Hawkins owns multiple Cotton On stores & pubs ... on $300,000 ??
If true then $300,000 is total BS or ... well you know

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Gentle persuasion from the Cats.
We are not interested in #7, we want Jack Bowes at our club because Dangerfield is a big fan and he'd look great in the hoops :roll:

Genius!

Like all other clubs I'm sure they couldn't give a hairy rats ringer about Bowes and just want #7, but they are selling it so delicately.
.......................................................................................................................................................................

Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield believes Cats trade target Jack Bowes would look “very good” in the blue and white hoops.

Bowes, 24, has played 78 games for Gold Coast but looks set to move clubs this off-season as part of a salary dump trade along with pick no. 7 in this year’s draft.

With Geelong considered the front-runners for the Sun’s services, Channel 7’s Mitch Cleary revealed that Dangerfield could have a big say in getting the deal across the line given how much he rates Bowes.

“I can (see him moving to Geelong),” Cleary said on AFL Trade Radio.

“I think they’ve been into Jack Bowes for a little while now, he is managed by Connors Sports management.

“They also look after Patty Dangerfield, and I’m told Patty Dangerfield is a big fan of Jack Bowes.

“There’s not many players that have the power at the negotiating table like Patty Dangerfield.

“He helped with the (Luke) Dahlhaus move, he helped with the (Josh) Jenkins move, I wouldn’t be surprised if he willed his power and got this one over the line.”

In response to Cleary’s report, Dangerfield confirmed that he is in fact a big fan of Bowes, adding that he reminds him of one of his star premiership teammates.

“I don’t know how Mitch Cleary got ahold of the information he did, but I’m a big fan,” Dangerfield said on SEN Mornings.

“I’ve watched him a heck of a lot this year, to be honest, and from previous seasons as well.

“I think he would look very, very good in the hoops.

“He’s a bit of a taller mid, but he’s also versatile, he’s a beautiful kick, he sort of reminds me a bit of Mitch Duncan in the fact that he’s really nice by foot, he’s got good poise.

“Isn’t that the beauty of sport? We were lucky enough to win it but all of the sudden now it’s, ‘How can we get better’? Because every other team is doing the same.

“That’s the beauty of the trade period I think.”

Along with Geelong, clubs that have also been linked to a Bowes move include Essendon, Hawthorn and St Kilda.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/29/ ... get-bowes/

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
groupie1
Club Player

To me

The salary price is too high just to get a top 10 draft pick.

And this absurd 'smoothing' idea to spread his salary over a longer period time, means he's actually been screwed for $$ he was owed in his first two yrs.

We don't wanna go down this path.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 7:45am To me

And this absurd 'smoothing' idea to spread his salary over a longer period time, means he's actually been screwed for $$ he was owed in his first two yrs.

You raise some good points.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong a more attractive location than Melbourne's Bayside suburbs? The real estate market would suggest not.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 7:54am
Geelong a more attractive location than Melbourne's Bayside suburbs? The real estate market would suggest not.
I'm sure the country boys at Geelong wouldn't give a rats about the property prices in Highett.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Move on cats or hawks
Can’t believe **** Geelong win flag get all these gun kids linked
AFL is rooted
Cotton On Salary cap

“Yeah….nah””
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Saint 58 wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 9:13pm
& there's also talk that Hawkins owns multiple Cotton On stores & pubs ... on $300,000 ??
Isn't the 300K the last year of a very heavily front loaded contract?
There was probably talk of having the last year so low so if he decided to retire he wouldn't be too much out of pocket.
Not sure there is too much under the table stuff happening but that was what was talked about.
GAJ on the other hand....

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

SaintJohno wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 8:50am
I'm sure the country boys at Geelong wouldn't give a rats about the property prices in Highett.
Probably not. But I'm certain it'd be easier to entice 18-30 year olds to move Bayside than to Geelong. The location has little influence, the club itself is the drawcard.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Not Hawkins only being a stone throw from his farm had also the family farm has anything to do with it :roll: :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 9:13pm
Your not buying large farms in prime locations on 300k a year either.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 11:54am
Probably not. But I'm certain it'd be easier to entice 18-30 year olds to move Bayside than to Geelong. The location has little influence, the club itself is the drawcard.
Your kidding right?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Clubs interested in the Bowes package expect to negotiate a significant reduction in the salary component, surely. Like the Suns, they don't really want Bowes, they want pick 7 and Suns are completely exposed. They are probably relieved the conversation has not turned to salary cap management. AFL has indulged the Suns for ever and still they can't even manage a salary cap budget over 5 years. Where is their loud mouth President blaming someone else for their incompetence. Only winners are Bowes and his financial planner.

Later, the notoriety that comes with being the player used with this tainted pick 7 could be a real burden.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 9:13pm & there's also talk that Hawkins owns multiple Cotton On stores & pubs ... on $300,000 ??
How does Hawkins own multiple Cotton On stores?
I wasn't aware Cotton On is fanchised.
I thought the business was privately owned and all stores were company owned.

Can you share your info please?
What is the value of a Cotton On franchise?
Where are the stores?

I don't know a lot about retail, but based on some knowledge of a rival company, a quick calculation has the Westfield based stores turning over between $950K - $1.4M per anum per store.

In regard to Pubs the traditional ownership model for sportsman is a group of 4-8 buying shares in managed facility.
It is normally the operation and sometimes the freehold.

There is little doubt all elite sportsman are paid for marketing, promotion, etc above the salary cap in all high profile sports and clubs.
Perhaps Geelong with their geographic base are doing this more than other clubs, perhaps it is the focus as they have just won the flag.
Could anything match the Visy Judd deal?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 7:51am
Cameron Ling owns most of the Geelong foreshore. Not bad for a player on 300k a year apparently.
CURLY wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 12:29pm
Your not buying large farms in prime locations on 300k a year either.
Please provide some information on these investments.

Why is it so unlikely that a reasonably well paid sportsman such as Hawkins could build a very decent property portfolio over 16 years of professional sport if he has been well advised over the course of the journey?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Hawkins+wife bought 62 ha farm, 20 mins from Geelong.
I saw an article on them.
They had a flat in South Yarra that they renovated (rental) and sold it early this year for 1.6mil.

They're both 'brand ambassadors' for an Aussie company.
That might give some $$ as well.
He's been assisted along the way, I suggest, by Geelong supporters who are keen to make his life easier.
He drives a Ford Ranger or something (there's a recent video of his team-mates pranking him with a loud buzzer hooked up to his reverse lights). Was the Ranger offered at Mate's Rates?

Our club cannot play with the big boys like the Cats, Pies, Tigers, etc.
The Bombers keep imploding, don't worry about them.
But despite our top guy being a self-made millionaire, the club is simply making up the numbers.
If we moved to Tassie, we could do what the Cats are doing.
Exploit the location and harness all it has to offer.
If it gets us 2 flags in 5 years, I'm sure the Vic-based supporters would be grateful.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 03 Oct 2022 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 7:45am To me

Any club who takes him will split the owed salary over a two or three year term.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 11:54am
The Surf Coast would be a big attraction to that age group.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.