Bowes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

amusingname
Club Player

Re: Bowes

Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:16pm
meher baba wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:58pm I’m also not sure that recruiting a mediocre player and paying him a s**tload of money is going to do a lot for the morale of the current list.

My instincts tell me that we might be better off out of it.
The other aspect of this peculiar offering from the GCS that no one seems to be questioning is how does the AFL system allow a fringe player to receive so much remuneration for very little return in the first place AND then be packaged up with a high FRDP that is clearly surplus to needs, or so it would seem, so the club can dump the player just to clean up its salary cap mess.

It's a really odd situation and clearly the industry has too much money....it just doesn't seem like a system that is working properly and also possibly suggests someone at the Suns stuffed up, maybe explains why Cochrane wants out.
The salary is so big because Gold Coast have asked him to defer his payments and back ended it more and more. It does seem like a fair stuff up by the numbers people up there, but it’s just forced the hand of the AFL to address the salary dump issue officially.

BadRossco
Club Player

It’s all a bit academic, even if we took the Bowes deal our clowns would only have one more first round draft pick to stuff up.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Significant tax and super implications with back ended contracts?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 11:52pm Significant tax and super implications with back ended contracts?
For player or Club?

I assume you mean Super for club and Tax for player?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda are one of five teams interested in Jack Bowes according to several media outlets.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 28 Sep 2022 12:41pm St Kilda are one of five teams interested in Jack Bowes according to several media outlets.
If we are interested you'd assume (player willing to come to us) we'd be in a very good position to negotiate with GCS given their interest in Ben Long.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Maybe we are back into it now that Degoey has resigned

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Bowes trade should absolutely be priority for the club.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:27pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:16pm
meher baba wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:58pm I’m also not sure that recruiting a mediocre player and paying him a s**tload of money is going to do a lot for the morale of the current list.

My instincts tell me that we might be better off out of it.
The other aspect of this peculiar offering from the GCS that no one seems to be questioning is how does the AFL system allow a fringe player to receive so much remuneration for very little return in the first place AND then be packaged up with a high FRDP that is clearly surplus to needs, or so it would seem, so the club can dump the player just to clean up its salary cap mess.

It's a really odd situation and clearly the industry has too much money....it just doesn't seem like a system that is working properly and also possibly suggests someone at the Suns stuffed up, maybe explains why Cochrane wants out.
The salary is so big because Gold Coast have asked him to defer his payments and back ended it more and more. It does seem like a fair stuff up by the numbers people up there, but it’s just forced the hand of the AFL to address the salary dump issue officially.
4 years at $500k with $150k allocated in year 1 and 2 for a prospect who was honestly tracking excellently. Not exactly an excessive contract, just structured very oddly. I’m sure we pay a few players on our list similar amounts who hardly deserve it.

In any case he’s Comfortably best 22 at most clubs including ours. Gold Coast have an astonishing record of not playing elite afl players and they did it again this season with a guy who will be a Brownlow medalist in Elijah hollands kicking the ball in the VFL for most of the season.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Geelong have entered the fray + for some other players bruhn and henry

They must be doing something O/S the cap
Last edited by chook23 on Thu 29 Sep 2022 7:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

saint4life
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

How much better than Lienert and Highmore is Bowes. Is he better.
Can't remember thinking gee that Bowes can play.
From Cairns, does he really want to come to Melbourne.
Do you buy something on sale because it's cheap or because you need it?
Just asking.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 7:40pm How much better than Lienert and Highmore is Bowes. Is he better.
From Cairns, ford he really want to come to Melbourne.
Just asking.
He is substantially better than both of those players.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 7:40pm How much better than Lienert and Highmore is Bowes. Is he better.
From Cairns, does he really want to come to Melbourne.
Just asking.
Pick 7 in the deal might just help a tad

saint4life
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I cannot believe how much people undervalue Bowes, he is a good player with strong skills ready to break out imo
I think he is a mid as well

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bowes is in our best 22 and he offers the one thing we lack - excellent disposal.

I think he's going to come out all guns blazing to show what he's worth next year.

I have no dramas in us targeting Saints fans: Connor Rozee, Ben King, Jack Bowes, Max Holmes, Eric Hipwood (literally, his parents got married at Moorabbin - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... kxjk9.html). Don't think we'll ever convince Dustin Martin to follow on his childhood passion for St Kilda.

Geelong has no problems leveraging their asset (surf coast lifestyle) and I would love to see us target these guys who love the club and build a culture around that.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 9:26pm I cannot believe how much people undervalue Bowes, he is a good player with strong skills ready to break out imo
His current club doesn't rate him too highly, willing to part company with him and pick 7. Expendable.
Comes with an $850k price tag. Halve that and a fair deal ?
We need more half backs, yes. Or no, not really.
Interesting Nick R doesn't think the price tag is much of an issue, or how Bowes would be utilised and how his salary would sit with the playing group, just sees the precious draft pick?
Watch this space, eh.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 1:57pm
maverick wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 9:26pm I cannot believe how much people undervalue Bowes, he is a good player with strong skills ready to break out imo
His current club doesn't rate him too highly, willing to part company with him and pick 7. Expendable.
Interesting Nick R doesn't think the price tag is much of an issue, or how Bowes would be utilised and how his salary would sit with the playing group, just sees the precious draft pick?
Watch this space, eh.
Gold Coast gave a history of undervaluing certain players only to see them do well elsewhere (sounds familiar..)
Bowes + 7 is a no brainer
IF we could keep 9 add 7 and add Bowes you have 2 gun mids to come and a very handy player still to peak alongside Windhager etc ….mini reset done
Dont be dumb
So glad we missed De Goey we have $ now
There’s a reason Cats have been into Bowes for a while
Can we get him to like us???
Surely he has to know with Bruhn Oliver etc coming to Cats his midfield time will be limited
With us..skys the limit brother

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Watch this space, eh.
Gold Coast gave a history of undervaluing certain players only to see them do well elsewhere (sounds familiar..)
IF we could keep 9 add 7 and add Bowes you have 2 gun mids to come and a very handy player still to peak alongside Windhager etc ….mini reset done
Dont be dumb
Surely he has to know with Bruhn Oliver etc coming to Cats his midfield time will be limited

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Apparently was a Saints supporter

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 2:12pm
Watch this space, eh.
Dont be dumb
So no conceivable downsides. No risk. Not too good to be true. Hope it pans out.

longtimesaint
Club Player

What I can’t understand how Geelong can fit Bowes under their cap particularly after winning the premiership
Surely there will be pressure on a lot of their contracts following a flag

One year will be our year
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 3:56pm What I can’t understand how Geelong can fit Bowes under their cap particularly after winning the premiership
Surely there will be pressure on a lot of their contracts following a flag
Yeah suspect. All I can think is with Selwood, narkle and Higgins coming off the wage bill they may have some space not sure how that’s 1.9mil though specially with bruen and Henry signing.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong get who the press are talking about including pick 7 the whole system is a joke

saint4life
SaintJohno
Club Player

Geelong are very smart with their sales pitch and recruiting. Matt Rendell was saying on Trade Radio the other day that only 4 out of their current list are city boys. They have purposely gone for the country lads and sold the dream of being away from the big city, here's a farm, here's the surf etc etc. Hard to sell Moorabbin in the same way I would imagine.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Fri 30 Sep 2022 10:20pm Geelong are very smart with their sales pitch and recruiting. Matt Rendell was saying on Trade Radio the other day that only 4 out of their current list are city boys. They have purposely gone for the country lads and sold the dream of being away from the big city, here's a farm, here's the surf etc etc. Hard to sell Moorabbin in the same way I would imagine.
Maybe true but they do have a salary cap as well

saint4life