De Goey offered 5 years from the Pies .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: De Goey offered 5 years from the Pies .

Definitely improved his footy in the last month of his contract. Except for his last game where he went missing and was dragged out of the middle with a solitary four possessions to half time and Sydney 5 goals up.

With so much on the line you'd think he would have ended his contract with a better performance in the middle, but Sydney do have a great mid field right? Well maybe not that great.

Plodder with a bull body that can have great impact once in a while? Must lose focus frequently or does he pick and choose?

Report card: Frequently distracted. Needs motivation. C+

(i.e. not an A grader)

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
silverhalo
Club Player

I wouldn't be chasing him; it's a real worry for me that he won't agree to behavioural clauses being inserted into his contract.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

silverhalo wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 4:44pm I wouldn't be chasing him; it's a real worry for me that he won't agree to behavioural clauses being inserted into his contract.
Not one single AFL player would agree to behavioural clauses in their contract.

Templar
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 4:58pm
silverhalo wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 4:44pm I wouldn't be chasing him; it's a real worry for me that he won't agree to behavioural clauses being inserted into his contract.
Not one single AFL player would agree to behavioural clauses in their contract.
Which highlights the concerns of those in the know who put these desperate clauses in.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Zerohanger saying that the clause DG objects to specifically reads along the lines of, “we can stand you down and terminate the contract whenever we think necessary”.
Nobody would agree to that.

https://www.zerohanger.com/aflpa-releas ... ff-128134/

Templar
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:07pm Zerohanger saying that the clause DG objects to specifically reads along the lines of, “we can stand you down and terminate the contract whenever we think necessary”.
Shows how terrified of De Goey's trajectory Collingwood are.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:10pm
st.byron wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:07pm Zerohanger saying that the clause DG objects to specifically reads along the lines of, “we can stand you down and terminate the contract whenever we think necessary”.
Shows how terrified of De Goey's trajectory Collingwood are.
It's excellent for our postion though. Pies will struggle to make the finals without him. Just goes to show how hard it is to succeed when the self righteous are holding you back.

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:18pm It's excellent for our postion though. Pies will struggle to make the finals without him. Just goes to show how hard it is to succeed when the self righteous are holding you back.
What if Collingwood replace him with a player that plays four quarters and who has buy in to their new team ethos?

Hang on - you are saying that Collingwood went from 12th to 4th exclusively because of De Goey?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The ani-thesis of D Goey might be a Matt Crouch.

In-and-under ferret...can dig and send the ball out to the outsiders like DMac, Sincs or the relay types like Ross or latterly HIll? Steady worker but not a game-breaker like De Goey.

Perhaps a tidy version of Jones?

And is there a possibility that he is just a little bit flat by the Adelaide post-2017 experience?

Could he be re-energized by playing with his brother?

He would also be low-risk compared to De Goey.

But we might be just stuck with the old more of the same.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Rubyjo
Club Player

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 4:25pm Definitely improved his footy in the last month of his contract. Except for his last game where he went missing and was dragged out of the middle with a solitary four possessions to half time and Sydney 5 goals up.

With so much on the line you'd think he would have ended his contract with a better performance in the middle, but Sydney do have a great mid field right? Well maybe not that great.

Plodder with a bull body that can have great impact once in a while? Must lose focus frequently or does he pick and choose?

Report card: Frequently distracted. Needs motivation. C+

(i.e. not an A grader)
Pretty sure he had a shoulder injury from previous game .

repta
Club Player

Media beat up over a nothing incident.
Should have called DeG in and told him to pull his head in. Watch what is posted on the internet
Performed the Song and Dance to settle the Twit-ter crew.
Moved on.

Unless there is other major issues the clauses that have been imposed seem ridiculous.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:32pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:18pm It's excellent for our postion though. Pies will struggle to make the finals without him. Just goes to show how hard it is to succeed when the self righteous are holding you back.
What if Collingwood replace him with a player that plays four quarters and who has buy in to their new team ethos?

Hang on - you are saying that Collingwood went from 12th to 4th exclusively because of De Goey?
Was the difference in a number of games and thats how close it is to being top four or out of the 8.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think Collingwood will drop big time next year, with or without De Goey.
Fixture, honeymoon over, other teams work them out...

D Goey might be worth much less at eth Pies in 12 months.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:53pm The ani-thesis of D Goey might be a Matt Crouch.

In-and-under ferret...can dig and send the ball out to the outsiders like DMac, Sincs or the relay types like Ross or latterly HIll? Steady worker but not a game-breaker like De Goey.

Perhaps a tidy version of Jones?

And is there a possibility that he is just a little bit flat by the Adelaide post-2017 experience?

Could he be re-energized by playing with his brother?

He would also be low-risk compared to De Goey.

But we might be just stuck with the old more of the same.
Why not both?

If we could add both it changes our list significantly.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 5:32pm

Did you watch any of the finals? They are the games played after the home and away, most Saints supporters aren't familiar with them.

Templar
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 7:41pm Did you watch any of the finals?
Yes all of them.

He played ok in the 1st two.

Mills, Pendelberry, Cripps, Parker all with disposals in the high 20s in the prelim.

While De Goey a dead weight with 12 disposals. 4 to half time.

Pies really needed a match winner in there. Not someone who goes missing. Shattering. Not that I give a s***. I hate the filth. Hope he stays there and continues to disappoint.

Not sure where his improvement will come from in 2023. Up on the big stage, end of contract, a prelim and delivers nothing. (Maybe he is a good fit for us ouch)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Played ‘OK’ in the first two finals did he?

Templar
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:43pm Played ‘OK’ in the first two finals did he?
For a supposed A grader, with his contract on the line, with much to prove, and everything to play for, he was servicable.

Then went totally AWOL against the Swans.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree but for different reasons
The more I think about where we are the more I’m confused as to why we are chasing DeGoey
We are 3+ off it imo
Any kids we drsftvthus year will take 3-4 to hit consistent impact
He’ll be one of our older leaders by then - is he a leader ?
IF we turned down Bowes (or did not even look into it) on the back of we can’t afford both him and De Goey …and chose De Goey….I’ll be disappointed
2 top 10 draft picks could’ve really sparked a youthful core around Max King
De Goey a sugar hit imo

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Am with Templar / Teflon on this one

Yes DeGoey shows glimpses of match winning abilities but they are glimpses

We would be pretty much getting a 20 disposal player with the occassional ability to kick multiple goals when posted forward but not guaranteed ..... at the cost of 800k + a year..... and he carries off field baggage and full on media scrutinization

A 1/3 of me wants to say yes but the other 2/3 see an inconsistent player who may never ever realise his true potential and who could bring unwanted negative attention

I guess I would just prefer a real bang for my buck and I have doubts that De Goey could deliver at a very high level consistently on that promise

Agree also with the 2 top 10 picks would be a preferable option if indeed it is the DeGoey situation keeping us out of the Bowes trade

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:59pm
For a supposed A grader, with his contract on the line, with much to prove, and everything to play for, he was servicable.

From his combined first two finals:

50 disposals (25 contested, 36 effective)
3 goals
13 tackles
3 goal assists
14 inside 50s
14 clearances (9 center clearances)
1091m gained
19 score involvements
Highest supercoach score of any player in both games

I'd say that's much more than serviceable. Then struggled in the prelim as he had an AC joint injury which no doubt would rule him out of any H&A game. Typically those injuries take 4-6 weeks to recover from.

De Goey is a gun and is exactly the kind of high-impact game-breaking player that we need to add to our list of vanilla role players.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 28 Sep 2022 12:02am
Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 9:59pm

From his combined first two finals:

50 disposals (25 contested, 36 effective)
3 goals
13 tackles
3 goal assists
14 inside 50s
14 clearances (9 center clearances)
1091m gained
19 score involvements
Highest supercoach score of any player in both games

I'd say that's much more than serviceable. Then struggled in the prelim as he had an AC joint injury which no doubt would rule him out of any H&A game. Typically those injuries take 4-6 weeks to recover from.

De Goey is a gun and is exactly the kind of high-impact game-breaking player that we need to add to our list of vanilla role players.
That was in finals games though, he would be wasted with us.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

'serviceable' is a bit understated for a man leading the gary ayres medal after the first two games. finished third even with the quiet one against the swans.
bloke is a gun, but we'd want greater consistency over a season. still someone you'd definitely want in the team come finals.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 8:50pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 7:41pm Did you watch any of the finals?
Yes all of them.

He played ok in the 1st two.

Mills, Pendelberry, Cripps, Parker all with disposals in the high 20s in the prelim.

While De Goey a dead weight with 12 disposals. 4 to half time.

Pies really needed a match winner in there. Not someone who goes missing. Shattering. Not that I give a s***. I hate the filth. Hope he stays there and continues to disappoint.

Not sure where his improvement will come from in 2023. Up on the big stage, end of contract, a prelim and delivers nothing. (Maybe he is a good fit for us ouch)
Best on in the first two and was brilliant and a constant threat.

Tagged in the prelim but was always dangerous. A number of Collingwoods goals were through his attack on the contest and Sydney players swarming to block and defend him.

Genuine game winner.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Templar
Club Player

I get that he can be a game breaker. The main criticism from Collingwood supporters is that he cant string a batch of good games together. They describe it "shows glimpses" and also "lazy". Many happy for him to go.

My question, which no one here answers, is if we sign him up 4-5 million, what is his motivation for improvement going to be? What is going to motivate him to turn into a consistent A grader? Love of the squad? Leadership group? Our coaching staff? Lenny Hayes? Culture? Pay back the fans? What is going to turn him into a hard training professional? Do we have a strategy in place to address this known issue?

Or will he be a high paid superstar who makes the occasional cameo appearances?

This is why I think the best result for everyone, including De Goey, will be to stay put.