Clarko and the Hawks alleged disgusting behaviour.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Clarko and the Hawks alleged disgusting behaviour.

Last edited by Rubyjo on Mon 26 Sep 2022 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Clarko and the Hawks disgusting behaviour.

Could Clarko's career at North be over before it started .

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Gone! Position must be untenable. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. Beggars belief

#1 Ryder fan
Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Family Club

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Brisbane might need a new coach too

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sounds over exagerated to be honest.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 9:54am Sounds over exagerated to be honest.
Sounds over exaggerated? It’s from an internal hawthorn report now with the AFL integrity unit, not from some sensationalist journalist. The article reporting on it is from Russell Jackson, one of the best investigative writers going around. Does his research thoroughly.

If half of what has been reported is true, it’s extremely bad.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Experienced journalists who would have done due diligence before naming names and direct quotes.

Would be staggered if they could weather this storm.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

To add to the above comment, even if only one instance were true that would be extremely bad. I couldn't support a club that did this to its players.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If this is true, Clarko and Fagan are finished in the AFL. They would have no choice but to remove them and anyone else involved.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Hodge on Sen now sounding shell shocked

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Could it also impact Brett Ratten as he was an assistant coach at Hawthorn under Clarko?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Not surprising :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:14am Could it also impact Brett Ratten as he was an assistant coach at Hawthorn under Clarko?
Not mentioned by name, and half the coaches in the AFL also been involved in Clarkos time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:09am
To add to the above comment, even if only one instance were true that would be extremely bad. I couldn't support a club that did this to its players.
Young player goes to older respected people and asks for advice. Hardly ground breaking.

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:18am
Young player goes to older respected people and asks for advice. Hardly ground breaking.
That’s your take away from the whole report? Unbelievable

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sounds utterly horrifying

It’s interesting… earlier in the year a mental health coordinator position was advertised at one of the football clubs. I was really intrigued but noted that the club was a bit far away from where I was geographically and I’m happy in my current role. Nonetheless, i thought it would be an interesting application process… and who knows, one may be able negotiate whatever if you get far into the process. Plus it also just sounded like an interesting job with potential to do good.

One thing that really stood out to me going through the position description was the emphasis they placed on having experience sports admin type experience with implications that a psychologist was preferred. I figured they may have wanted to do everything in house.

On the one hand I got that but every guttural instinct screams that that’s a terrible idea. Apart from the fact that a one size fits all approach to treatment is a terrible approach, I worried that this position would be less about promoting good mental health at the club. Seemed as though there would be a huge conflict of interest if what was best for an individual and what the club wanted didn’t align.

I was quite keen for the opportunity to discuss my concerns but unfortunately my application didn’t progress at all. That was a bit of a surprise to me because in terms of qualifications and experience, my CV is very impressive.

Anyway… the point of all that is that whilst none of this is connected to Hawthorn, stuff like this is what I was worried about in potentially working at the club.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The verbatim reporting of allegations/stories from one side in an extract from a third party report does not provide balance. Particularly given the shock/horror slant the ABC is giving.

The stories/scenarios outlined could easily be depicted completely differently by an objective assessment of player welfare measures.

Expect references from other indigenous players both have coached saying their experiences with Clarkson and Fagan have been completely different in terms of care and support.

I would not be surprised if the ABC ends up with an amount of egg on its face.

The leaking of selected pieces from Hawthorn or the review team is very interesting though. Someone might have a grudge.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:23am
No I'm simply saying I think there's a fair bit of mayo on this.

If an 18 year old Lenny Hayes went to Grant Thomas and said his girlfriend was pregnant and he was unsure he what they wanted and Thomas helped him would this be a story?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:24am The verbatim reporting of allegations/stories from one side in an extract from a third party report does not provide balance. Particularly given the shock/horror slant the ABC is giving.

The stories/scenarios outlined could easily be depicted completely differently by an objective assessment of player welfare measures.

Expect references from other indigenous players both have coached saying their experiences with Clarkson and Fagan have been completely different in terms of care and support.

The leaking of selected pieces from Hawthorn or the review team is very interesting though. Someone might have a grudge.
Correct.

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:26am
amusingname wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:23am
No I'm simply saying I think there's a fair bit of mayo on this.

If an 18 year old Lenny Hayes went to Grant Thomas and said his girlfriend was pregnant and he was unsure he what they wanted and Thomas helped him would this be a story?
If Thomas said it would be better for your career if you didn’t have a kid, also members of staff had said that you are not talking to your partner or family members anymore and living with a coach now, and this was one of numerous instances where it’s alleged that Thomas and others had treated kids from NSW like Lenny this, yeah I reckon it would be a story.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:24am The verbatim reporting of allegations/stories from one side in an extract from a third party report does not provide balance. Particularly given the shock/horror slant the ABC is giving.

Didn't Cyril Rioli come out recently and express some issues he had with Hawthorn that lead him to retiring early? If that's the experience of one of their most celebrated Indigenous stars I'm not surprised with the treatment of the no-names.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The win at all costs mantra. That's the Clarko way.

Too much mythology around certain football clubs and certain coaches. Rarely are the inner workings revealed, but here we are. The assumption that this story has mayo on it is merely that... an assumption

Clarkson will not be held to account by the AFL. He's in the 'too big to fail' category, and the AFL has a history of a 'brand protection first' policy when it comes to their most high profile clubs and coaches. Remember, Demertiou tipped off Essendon about the crime commission investigation as soon as he was informed the report would be made public, allowing them to hide evidence. A lot of people knew what had been going on and had alerted headquarters many months earlier. But no, it was Essendon, and brand protection was the priority until the AFL had no choice due to an imminent public outcome of an external investigation.

Had this been us, well, then headquarters would have been at the front door as soon as suspicions were being bandied about.

Hopefully, this story will once and for all break the myths surrounding 'super-coaches' and the well worn cliches about the character of certain successful football clubs.

older saint
SS Life Member

IF and its a HUGE IF it is true then Clarskson and Fagan positions untenable.
Add to that Stuart Fox at MCC and Reeves at AFL /commission ?

Wonder if Hill still keen on North?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

This is a quote from the ABC story

“…Three families at the centre of the investigation have told ABC Sport about the grief and trauma caused by their experiences…”

and this

“…The Hawthorn Football Club did not respond to detailed questions provided by ABC Sport, but has issued a statement…”

So that story doesn’t appear to be from a leaked review. And is one sided as Hawthorn did not respond to questions regarding the allegations the ABC has raised.