To the Top

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

To the Top

Given all the negativity on this site by "supporters" of St Kilda, can I refer you to the Norwood (SANFL) Website and the pre Grand Final interview with the Coach and the Captain of the Norwood Football Club.

Particularly the comments of the Coach referring to not only the NFC, their history and culture, but to the integrity of the SANFL competition.

Because this is the template for success.

At St Kilda, under the administration and the Football Department, the same values are the drivers toward success.

You review and bench mark this template - continually.

Success is born from stability, that stability embracing culture and culture embracing performance.

It starts from the top (as it does in all aspects of life being personal performance and being workplace performance).

You respect, you embrace and you challenge.

There are 18 Clubs in the competition, and only one Premier Club each year.

So you need not only to embrace but to be consistent in that embrace.

As the Norwood Coach said, it is what you sign on for.

It is what Rattan has signed on for, with the support of the Board and with the resource of the Administration.

For good reason.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: To the Top

How many flags have Norwood won & how many have St.Kilda won . Obviously Norwood are doing something right can't say the same for St.Kilda . Continually making poor decisions on & off the field year in year out.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Great words killa and I respect you wholeheartedly as a poster here. You clearly know the game and what it takes

For me though this current administration is doing the talking with the walking yet to be proven.

We’ve been haphazard with our recruitment (at best) with seriously questionable decisions which have shown a lack of strategy and plan. Are we hitting the draft and rebuilding (my preference.. and we should have done so for the last3-4 years) or are we topping up with players like hill and Hannebery?
DeGoey another example. Not denying his talent but is he what we need now? Given it won’t take a draft pick but it signals where the powers that be see our list - and frankly I think our list is miles off it. Again just my opinion but there is a dearth of talent between us and the top 4

#1 Ryder fan
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 7:09pm Great words killa and I respect you wholeheartedly as a poster here. You clearly know the game and what it takes

For me though this current administration is doing the talking with the walking yet to be proven.

We’ve been haphazard with our recruitment (at best) with seriously questionable decisions which have shown a lack of strategy and plan. Are we hitting the draft and rebuilding (my preference.. and we should have done so for the last3-4 years) or are we topping up with players like hill and Hannebery?
DeGoey another example. Not denying his talent but is he what we need now? Given it won’t take a draft pick but it signals where the powers that be see our list - and frankly I think our list is miles off it. Again just my opinion but there is a dearth of talent between us and the top 4
The bid for deGoey is troubling so soon after the Hanneberry and Hill episodes. Are lessons never learnt.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

So we the club in the elite comp look to a club in a 2nd tier comp for the template for success?

Interesting concept.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 7:25pm
MC Gusto wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 7:09pm Great words killa and I respect you wholeheartedly as a poster here. You clearly know the game and what it takes

The bid for deGoey is troubling so soon after the Hanneberry and Hill episodes. Are lessons never learnt.
DeGoey was offered 4x $800 by his club, a huge amount they could barely afford,they did the same with Grundy and before him, Treloar.
They did this because the market demanded it and speculation on value has gone crazy,nearly as crazy as the investment in marketing the game as a television spectacular seems.
One by one,they have reneged.

Hannerbery and Hill are champions of the game. They have achieved things that very few have.

Hindsight is very cheap and often, just very nasty.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 8:23pm

DeGoey was offered 4x $800 by his club, a huge amount they could barely afford,they did the same with Grundy and before him, Treloar.
They did this because the market demanded it and speculation on value has gone crazy,nearly as crazy as the investment in marketing the game as a television spectacular seems.

Hannerbery and Hill are champions of the game. They have achieved things that very few have.

You're spot on Hannebery & Hill were champions of the game unfortunately not with us.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 8:23pm

Not for us.
And we are picking up the tabs.

Killa
Club Player

The responses are noted - and in regards certain are as expected

The invitation to listen to the words of the NFC Coach has most obviously not been accepted by some

It is of note that James Gallagher, now of St Kilda, is a product of the Norwood Football Club, of over 200 games including a Premiership

In regards history, the AFL is a recent concept born of a National competition

Prior to the National competition there were no “equalisation” Rules and Regulations (not that they are anywhere near equal across all competing Clubs evidenced by the continual changing of the Rules and Regulations)

So you had Clubs supported by wealthy donors recruiting players such as Kernahan, Bradley and others en masse

Some did not come from WA, Tasmania or SA

And some went the other way, such as Fitzgerald from Collingwood to Sturt

The VFL premierships were dominated by Clubs with wealthy donors - as I understand the division between the St Kilda FC and the St Kilda Social Club saw St Kilda selling Form 4’s to make ends meet - then collapsing paying 28 cents in the $1-, saved only by Fox forcing this resolution

So you can dismiss the pre AFL history of Clubs - noting both Richmond and Collingwood also nearly collapsed due to financial pressures

The competition will never be even

This is why the words of the NFC Coach, his introduction to NFC courtesy of Neil Craig, himself a NFC junior recruited at 15 years of age from Maitland to the NFC Adelaide residence of Carmal Court, purchased and renovated by a NFC donor (and Carman also lived there from Edenhope among many others who are Legends of the NFC) are of note

This is history, history which delivers culture given recognition, protection and adherence

And these assets have delivered Premiership number 31, across across 144 years (since 1878)

So Premierships are not won every year

Despite expectations!!!!

Another photograph goes on the walls of the Wolf Blass Community Centre

And into the history pages of the Club

There is the template - the words of the NFC Coach

In his first year, Norwood went out in straight sets

This year they responded to an 11 goal drubbing in the Qualifying Final

And a 31st team photograph will now adorn the walls

A place you can always go back to - and feel proud - and humble

St Kilda needs to build this

Currently it has 1 photograph - plus photos of individuals who have bought their performances and reputation to the Club

Therein lies the difference

The Premiership photos are of all of the players from those years - because it is teams which win Premierships

Listen to the words of the NFC Coach - they are the reason he got the job

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 11:00pm The responses are noted - and in regards certain are as expected

The invitation to listen to the words of the NFC Coach has most obviously not been accepted by some

It is of note that James Gallagher, now of St Kilda, is a product of the Norwood Football Club, of over 200 games including a Premiership

Prior to the National competition there were no “equalisation” Rules and Regulations (not that they are anywhere near equal across all competing Clubs evidenced by the continual changing of the Rules and Regulations)

So you had Clubs supported by wealthy donors recruiting players such as Kernahan, Bradley and others en masse

The VFL premierships were dominated by Clubs with wealthy donors - as I understand the division between the St Kilda FC and the St Kilda Social Club saw St Kilda selling Form 4’s to make ends meet - then collapsing paying 28 cents in the $1-, saved only by Fox forcing this resolution

So you can dismiss the pre AFL history of Clubs - noting both Richmond and Collingwood also nearly collapsed due to financial pressures

This is why the words of the NFC Coach, his introduction to NFC courtesy of Neil Craig, himself a NFC junior recruited at 15 years of age from Maitland to the NFC Adelaide residence of Carmal Court, purchased and renovated by a NFC donor (and Carman also lived there from Edenhope among many others who are Legends of the NFC) are of note

This is history, history which delivers culture given recognition, protection and adherence

And these assets have delivered Premiership number 31, across across 144 years (since 1878)

Despite expectations!!!!

Currently it has 1 photograph - plus photos of individuals who have bought their performances and reputation to the Club

The Premiership photos are of all of the players from those years - because it is teams which win Premierships

:roll:

Killa
Club Player

And in regards Hannebery, McCartin and others subject to comment - what about Peter Motley (son of Geof a Magarey Medalist and Premiership Captain of Port Adelaide, Peter playing for Sturt then Carlton)?

Injured in a horrific car accident to never play again

Puts footy into perspective, hey?

Of note also is that the 2 sons of Barrie Robran of North Adelaide fame, both played for Norwood from their junior days (also Hawthorn), both then coming back to Norwood

And Barrie also played Shield cricket for SA as an opening batsman, playing for the same District side as me and opening with me

Barrie was chided for playing his footy with the wrong Club - which his sons corrected!!!

And I digress to this site whilst watching history in the making - history born of tradition

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 11:18pm And in regards Hannebery, McCartin and others subject to comment - what about Peter Motley (son of Geof a Magarey Medalist and Premiership Captain of Port Adelaide, Peter playing for Sturt then Carlton)?

Injured in a horrific car accident to never play again

Puts footy into perspective, hey?

Of note also is that the 2 sons of Barrie Robran of North Adelaide fame, both played for Norwood from their junior days (also Hawthorn), both then coming back to Norwood

And Barrie also played Shield cricket for SA as an opening batsman, playing for the same District side as me and opening with me

Barrie was chided for playing his footy with the wrong Club - which his sons corrected!!!

And I digress to this site whilst watching history in the making - history born of tradition
:roll:

Killa
Club Player

And as a list comment

In regards “that is what you sign on for”

The Coach had to tell a 17 year old son of a Club Legend (and 4 times Premiership player), just 3 games into his SANFL career (and will be Drafted by Adelaide as a father/son) that he was to be replaced in the Grand Final, the player he replaced having recovered from injury

But his photo will adorn the walls, as a team member

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 11:00pm The responses are noted - and in regards certain are as expected

Despite expectations!!!!

Thank you for mentioning Gallagher and just to keep the positivity of his work under this administration going below is our current under 23’s side
Those with * are rumoured to be leaving/on way out

B: **** - Adams - Connolly*
HB: Coffield - Sharman - ****
C: Byrnes* - Owens - Wang.-Milera
HF: **** - Allison - Peris
F: ** - King - **
Foll: Heath - Bytel* - Windhager

Pretty hard to get exited by that list but…
Hoo ray for Gags and Lethers !!!
Onwards abd upwards!!
Windows open!!

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Barrie Robran one of the greatest (if not the greatest) footy products from SA.

A close friend of my dads. Incredible talent

#1 Ryder fan
King Max
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 11:18pm
Gerard and Robbo were good last night but history in the making is a bit over the top.

Killa
Club Player

The comments of Walsh, referring to St Kilda being irrelevant across their 149 years because, over those years only one (1) Premiership has been won and now Goddard saying his class left culture (in fact, the class of Goddard failed to deliver culture because he is not in a team photograph on the Club walls) are noted

This is the reason I referred to the Norwood Football Club in the SANFL

And the words of the NFC Coach, referring to history and the expectation history brings with it, are of importance

Now Walsh and Goddard speak to the same subject I introduced to this Forum

History can not be rewritten

It is there on the walls of the Club - including for the NFC two famous come from behind 1 point wins, in 1978 and now 44 years later

St Kilda’s past is what it is - for a raft of reasons some of which I have mentioned

What needs to be done is referencing to a successful culture and a successful Club

So an example of what needs to be replicated

Norwood went thru a lean period of 25 years until 1975, including the 4 years with Allan Killigrew which saw 2 Grand Final losses

The recovery to what history dictates was well planned - investment in the junior system and selective recruitment

So there is also a template for recovery

History delivers culture

And that history and culture delivers ambition which delvers performance

You simply do not walk past all those photographs on the Wall and not be driven to play in a team which delivers yet another photograph on the walls

Walsh is putting the challenge

Goddard is mischief raking

Where is Goddard in a team photograph on the wall?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Thu 06 Oct 2022 9:37pm The comments of Walsh, referring to St Kilda being irrelevant across their 149 years because, over those years only one (1) Premiership has been won and now Goddard saying his class left culture (in fact, the class of Goddard failed to deliver culture because he is not in a team photograph on the Club walls) are noted

This is the reason I referred to the Norwood Football Club in the SANFL

And the words of the NFC Coach, referring to history and the expectation history brings with it, are of importance

Now Walsh and Goddard speak to the same subject I introduced to this Forum

History can not be rewritten

It is there on the walls of the Club - including for the NFC two famous come from behind 1 point wins, in 1978 and now 44 years later

St Kilda’s past is what it is - for a raft of reasons some of which I have mentioned

What needs to be done is referencing to a successful culture and a successful Club

So an example of what needs to be replicated

Norwood went thru a lean period of 25 years until 1975, including the 4 years with Allan Killigrew which saw 2 Grand Final losses

The recovery to what history dictates was well planned - investment in the junior system and selective recruitment

So there is also a template for recovery

History delivers culture

And that history and culture delivers ambition which delvers performance

You simply do not walk past all those photographs on the Wall and not be driven to play in a team which delivers yet another photograph on the walls

Walsh is putting the challenge

Goddard is mischief raking

Where is Goddard in a team photograph on the wall?
Can you please go back to Norwood & enjoy the newly won flag & save the rest of us from your mindless f--king dribble :roll:

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Goddard is Essendon. Just ask him. I reckon we should play Norwood.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The comments by many here are unsurprising and noted

To those on this forum who continue to spew forth rubbish about the all conquering StKilda FC take notice

I remember sitting on the sideline of a cricket match when I was dismissed early watching my opening batting partner the Greek Adonis like Barrie Robran make a grand century

In those days there were no helmets, just a wool cap to protect the scalp from sun and your reflexes to handle the 100 mph thunderbolts

It was a typical 44 degree Adelaide day and the grass was thick ensuring the lean muscular athletic big man had to run most of his century as opposed to striking boundaries

After he left the field and headed to the shower to refresh, I took my opportunity

I went to his kit bag and retrieved his match worn protector still warm & sweaty

I put that protector to my face like an Pan Am Aeroplane oxygen mask and I inhaled deeply for several minutes

I still recall than intoxicating manly scent, mmmm

Let’s just say I had a ‘Norwood’ that lasted like a geriatric who swallowed a pack of blue tablets

Hoorah South Australia 🇦🇺
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Fri 07 Oct 2022 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The biggest mistake this county ever made was not accepting Fiji ahead of South Australia as the 6th colony to form the federation of Australia.

From what I understand from reading our gazetted history books is South Australia has struggled to prosper in any meaningful way or thrive and prosper since inappropriately gaining acceptance as the 6th State.

I believe things weren't helped around the time of the Spanish Flu as anyone who contracted the disease was banished to the stricken state to perish out of sight.

The stricken were considered weak and unworthy in accordance with the Doctrine of Darwins theory of evolution and incapable of helping the newly formed federation achieve great nationalistic goals.

However despite all of this some did manage to survive and even go on to breed and today South Australia is now awash with mutant beings across its barren land that somehow manage to continue to breed and survive.

The fact South Australians have evolved to a point where they have photos on walls for admiration and inspiration is truly remarkable and a testimont to the fine gentlemen who successfully argued they should be the 6th colony and NOT Fiji.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 06 Oct 2022 11:18pm The comments by many here are unsurprising and noted

To those on this forum who continue to spew forth rubbish about the all conquering StKilda FC take notice

I remember sitting on the sideline of a cricket match when I was dismissed early watching my opening batting partner Barrie Robran make a grand century

In those days there were no helmets, just a wool cap to protect the scalp from sun and your reflexes to handle the 100 mph thunderbolts

It was a typical 44 degree Adelaide day and the grass was thick ensuring the lean muscular athletic big man had to run most of his century as opposed to striking boundaries

After he left the field and headed to the shower to refresh, I took my opportunity

I went to his kit bag and retrieved his match worn protector still warm & sweaty

I put that protector to my face like an aero plane oxygen masked and I inhaled deeply for several minutes

Let’s just say I had a ‘Norwood’ that lasted like a geriatric who swallowed a pack of blue tablets

:lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 7:53am The biggest mistake this county ever made was not accepting Fiji ahead of South Australia as the 6th colony to form the federation of Australia.

From what I understand from reading our gazetted history books is South Australia has struggled to prosper in any meaningful way or thrive and prosper since inappropriately gaining acceptance as the 6th State.

I believe things weren't helped around the time of the Spanish Flu as anyone who contracted the disease was banished to the stricken state to perish out of sight.

The stricken were considered weak and unworthy in accordance with the Doctrine of Darwins theory of evolution and incapable of helping the newly formed federation achieve great nationalistic goals.

However despite all of this some did manage to survive and even go on to breed and today South Australia is now awash with mutant beings across its barren land that somehow manage to continue to breed and survive.

The fact South Australians have evolved to a point where they have photos on walls for admiration and inspiration is truly remarkable and a testimont to the fine gentlemen who successfully argued they should be the 6th colony and NOT Fiji.
:lol:

Banger9798
SS Life Member

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 06 Oct 2022 11:18pm The comments by many here are unsurprising and noted

I remember sitting on the sideline of a cricket match when I was dismissed early watching my opening batting partner the Greek Adonis like Barrie Robran make a grand century

I put that protector to my face like an Pan Am Aeroplane oxygen mask and I inhaled deeply for several minutes

I started reading...was worried where it was going.....and in the end, it was worse than I'd feared.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 8:59am

I started reading...was worried where it was going.....and in the end, it was worse than I'd feared.
Glad you enjoyed it 😁

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!